HP Prolient ML10v2 Review?

PeteyBoPetey

Hi Guys,

We have made some huge advances in the computing world in the last couple of years. With the introduction of SSD's for example, and M.2 drives. Yet they have their limitations, mainly capacity. Add to this advances have been made with bitorrent and streaming media services like Netflix. Yet our PC Cases are bigger than ever and chock full of massive ATX motherboards and mechanical hard drives.Storing multiple copies of media on multiple machines.

Which has led to the rise of the home server. I'd like to see LTT to do a review on the HP Proliant ML10v2. We can pick them up in Australia for ~$300 with a G3240 processor and 4Gb of ECC Ram. I couldn't build a server for twice that. Plus a continuation of LACP experiment. Is it possible to team the two ethernet ports on a motherboard and ML10v2?. Can you put a 4 port NIC card in the ML10v2 and client and achieve 400 MB transfer speed?. If you could, you could put all your mechanical hard drives in the ML10v2 and build SFF clients with M.2 drives. Having everyhting stored centrally like that means dad can access his files from mums computer or vice versa. Or the son or daughter can download their homework they left at home to the schools computer etc.

In the review, it would be nice to see how to set up a RAM or SSD write cache

Regards,

Peter Anderson

Since the pentium is not very powerful, they wouldnt be able to get super fast transfers. Plus, they focus on more general topics. They wouldnt want to spend the time on a specific server that hp makes. If anyhing, they would review the Proliant series.

My native language is C++

Keep in mind that LACP will not give you 400MB/s for 1 PC. It's useful to many PCs accessing all at once.

In this case even best drives on both ends will get nothing. 

The only benefit of this kind of nic would be if you'd use Server 2012R2 and SMB Multipathing but that PC is too weak for that in my opinion because SMB multipatching utilize many cpu cores. Apart from that 4GB of ram is way to small.

Main;Ryzen 2700X, ASROCK X370 KillerSLI,48GB DDR4 2933Mhz, Sapphire 5700XT Pulse,CM SilentPro M2 720W+Fractal Core 3000, Philips 346P1CRH
Server1: Atermiter X99,Intel Xeon E5-2650LV3 12core,56GB DDR4 RDIMM 2133Mhz
Denon AVC-A11XV|UDM-PRO|Zyxel XGS1930-28

1 hour ago, PeteyBoPetey said:

Sybreeder: Didn't Linus achieve 400MBs in this video? 

yes, but you need to use CPU to generate the packets, if you throw a dodgy little atom in there, it wont be able to generate the packets quick enough to send at 400mbps.

That being said this system should be fine.

22 hours ago, PeteyBoPetey said:

-snip-

I can see a few reviews if you do a google search, heaps already on youtube also.

I think he achieved 300 to 400MB/s with an i3? I'd be happy with tripling my lan speed. Even if I manage to double it by utilising the two lan sockets on my motherboard and the prolient. Make use of equipment I already have?

5 hours ago, PeteyBoPetey said:

Sybreeder: Didn't Linus achieve 400MBs in this video? 

I mentioned SMB Multipatching - SMB3.0 and Linus used that technology. And yes by use of this technology you can achieve 400MB/s - i use 2NIC for that and i can achieve ~200MB/s :)

And Linus didn't use LACP. The only need is for NIC with RSS. Work no problem.

nic.JPG

Main;Ryzen 2700X, ASROCK X370 KillerSLI,48GB DDR4 2933Mhz, Sapphire 5700XT Pulse,CM SilentPro M2 720W+Fractal Core 3000, Philips 346P1CRH

CALLING OUT LINUS!!!!!!! you need to do a show on minimum cpu requirements for 2, 3 and 4 link aggregation!

That is just not true. I'll show you in a minute proof - my server is now booting :P

Those are mine 2 nics on main PC. As you can see they aren't teamed/ link aggregated.

! nic has access to the internet, second don't.

OK I updated screenshots.

lan1.JPG

copy.JPG

task.jpg

copy2.jpg