Intel to block non-K Skylake chips from being able to overclock

GoodBytes

If you have a Skylake non-K series CPU and overclock it, the fun is over.

intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-100638265-ga

Intel is set to block non-overclockable (non-K) Skyake chips from overclocking.

Intel is said to be working with motherboard manufactures to release a new BIOS update that will block this ability.

The company didn't mention if they'll do anything in future revisions of the chip to block overclocking at their level to not allow downgrading the BIOS and be able to get overclocking working.

PC World says:

The cheap overclocking party is over. An upcoming microcode update from Intel will close the door on a loophole that let users goose Skylake CPUs that weren't meant to be overclocked. 

If you plan to buy a non-K chip and overclock it soon, expect that the motherboard will have the latest BIOS pre-installed.blocking you from doing this.

Intel press statement reminds people that overclocking non-K chips is not covered by the warranty:

Intel regularly issues updates for our processors which our partners voluntarily incorporate into their BIOS. The latest update provided to partners includes, among other things, code that aligns with the position that we do not recommend overclocking processors that have not been designed to do so. Additionally, Intel does not warranty the operation of the processor beyond its specifications.

So if you are affected by this currently, what it means you'll never be able to upgrade to the latest BIOS, if you want to continue to have your overclock.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3031255/hardware/its-official-intel-shuts-down-the-cheap-overclocking-party-by-closing-skylake-loophole.html

Are you affected by this? Did you plan to overclock a non-K chip in your coming up build (if you have one)?

Probably for the best. This would cannibalize the K skew. Kinda sucks for consumers who already bought non-K's with the intention to overclock though.

Edit: I'm sure this is going to be a popular opinion :P 

isnt this quite old, like a couple of days atleast?

*edit*

just so this coment isnt compleatly wothless:

i dont think it should have ever been suported in the first place, non K CPUs are not made to be overclocked and thats why there cheaper, the motherboards increased cost was also something that ruined it a bit too IMO they were so expensive that you almost might as well get Z series and a K spec processor instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not surprised.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

I'll be somewhat surprised if this wasn't posted earlier...

I've seen this all over twitter so I would assume someone would have already posted about this on the forum. 

It has been, to a degree. This is more of an update/confirmation. 

38 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Probably for the best. This would cannibalize the K skew. Kinda sucks for consumers who already bought non-K's with the intention to overclock though.

Edit: I'm sure this is going to be a popular opinion :P 

Why would it suck for them? They can just stay on the same BIOS.

Sure k chips are cherry picked for overclocking but intel its outright fucking lying here: how convenient is that none of the i3 are ever overclockable.

Yes risks might be greater, whatever: everyone knows overclocking its a huge fucking risk already. 

I hope (but seriously doubt) AMD kicks their fucking ass with Zen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Sure k chips are cherry picked for overclocking but intel its outright fucking lying here: how convenient is that none of the i3 are ever overclockable.

Yes risks might be greater, whatever: everyone knows overclocking its a huge fucking risk already. 

I hope (but seriously doubt) AMD kicks their fucking ass with Zen.

that's what i seriously hope for also :/

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Why would it suck for them? They can just stay on the same BIOS.

exactlly, i never updated BIOS in my life

Lel, and I can still overclock my i5 4440, and my 4790K on my H87M Pro, and every single LGA775 CPU and those that came before.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Lel, and I can still overclock my i5 4440, and my 4790K on my H87M Pro, and every single LGA775 CPU and those that came before.

I thought Haswell wasn't exactly cooperative with BCLK overclocking. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I thought Haswell wasn't exactly cooperative with BCLK overclocking. 

Its not, but its still overclocking. LGA771 Xeons on LGA775 motherboards is still where its at for FSB/BCLK overclocking.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Will this mean motherboard manufacturers who sold motherboards with nonK overclocking will have to refund at least partially for missing feature?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory