Mad Catz mice opinion

YongKang

Hello guys, I've seen a lot of hate towards Mad Catz mices and I would like to know the reason behind this. I quite dig their design personally but a lot of people seem to hate about their quality control. Please clear my mind.

Design over function. They seem cool at first, but they're uncomfortable and bits become loose pretty quickly. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Design over function. They seem cool at first, but they're uncomfortable and bits become loose pretty quickly. 

Which model in particularly? I would avoid it the next time i go shop for a mouse.

They are cheaply made, break easily, and usually die within a year.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, YongKang said:

Which model in particularly? I would avoid it the next time i go shop for a mouse.

I've had the R.A.T 3 and the M.M.O 7. The RAT 3 was too small and comfortable for my hand so I bought the MMO7 for its adjustability, but several of the swappable parts became wobbly even when fully tightened. 

IMO, the somewhat over complicated aesthetic design makes them somewhat flimsy and uncomfortable. Simple looking and designed mice tend to be more comfortable and there's less to go wrong with them. 

I now use the Corsair M95, which is nice and simple (except its additional buttons which I used for about a week before realising it was quicker for me to just use the keyboard). Had it for 2 years with no issues. 

For me personally it's too exaggerating I mean come on who wants a mouse that looks like a torturing machine, yes it looks cool but it was overrated. The first time I encountered this mouse was when I was looking  my local game shop to look for a new mouse, my first impression was "EEEEEEEH WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING???" I mean it's just a fat big mouse with what it seems to be useless design. I mean that thing is huge just like well, a real mouse. But that's my opinion people may vary.

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

I personally love my RAT 7 mouse - have been using it for about 4 years now, never had an issue with bits coming loose, I customized it to a way that feels comfortable to me, added a profile to the software that I use daily and have personally never had bother with it. Thought I'd add my thoughts on the device, as it's not all doom and gloom lol

13 hours ago, Annoyingnerds said:

For me personally it's too exaggerating I mean come on who wants a mouse that looks like a torturing machine, yes it looks cool but it was overrated. The first time I encountered this mouse was when I was looking  my local game shop to look for a new mouse, my first impression was "EEEEEEEH WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING???" I mean it's just a fat big mouse with what it seems to be useless design. I mean that thing is huge just like well, a real mouse. But that's my opinion people may vary.

I do agree that the old one looks SO overkill but the new designs seems kinda nice and sleek.

On 2016/2/9 at 8:10 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

I've had the R.A.T 3 and the M.M.O 7. The RAT 3 was too small and comfortable for my hand so I bought the MMO7 for its adjustability, but several of the swappable parts became wobbly even when fully tightened. 

IMO, the somewhat over complicated aesthetic design makes them somewhat flimsy and uncomfortable. Simple looking and designed mice tend to be more comfortable and there's less to go wrong with them. 

I now use the Corsair M95, which is nice and simple (except its additional buttons which I used for about a week before realising it was quicker for me to just use the keyboard). Had it for 2 years with no issues. 

Have you tried any of the new designs? I have sweaty hands. That's why I'm looking for some mouse that would let me hand vent.

4 hours ago, YongKang said:

I do agree that the old one looks SO overkill but the new designs seems kinda nice and sleek.

Have you tried any of the new designs? I have sweaty hands. That's why I'm looking for some mouse that would let me hand vent.

what is the new one?

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

3 hours ago, woll3 said:

30$ are more than acceptable for a mouse with PMW3320, however the performance is subpar due to bad Firmware/MCU Choice, Mainswitches are also TTC.

30$ with no side button. Is this a joke? I mean I like the modularity but no side browser buttons this day and age? I don't know about the firmware though.

I notoced the hate too. I like the design and adjustments from what i saw. Never owned one and never will because i have my eyes on Final Mouse.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

On 2016/2/11 at 6:37 AM, Thony said:

I notoced the hate too. I like the design and adjustments from what i saw. Never owned one and never will because i have my eyes on Final Mouse.

I feel that the final mouse give off a sort of cheap feeling with its glossy plastic. I don't judge their products but for the price that they are asking, build it a little bit nice plz.

16 hours ago, YongKang said:

I feel that the final mouse give off a sort of cheap feeling with its glossy plastic. I don't judge their products but for the price that they are asking, build it a little bit nice plz.

Yea not a rubbered side bothers me too. But at that weight it should be fine. 

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Sensors are the worst I have ever seen.  I told my friend not to buy it.  With all of the cracks and stuff, dust built up and clogged the sensor.  

He denied the fact that it happened.

On 11.2.2016 at 3:53 AM, YongKang said:

30$ with no side button. Is this a joke? I mean I like the modularity but no side browser buttons this day and age? I don't know about the firmware though.

Well, they arent needed for gaming.

Just now, Thony said:

Yea not a rubbered side bothers me too. But at that weight it should be fine. 

If it would be as advertised, which it isnt, Firmware is a joke anyway.

5 hours ago, woll3 said:

Well, they arent needed for gaming.

If it would be as advertised, which it isnt, Firmware is a joke anyway.

I was talking about FINAL MOUSE not mad catz where u quoted me. Hope u are aware.

On 9.2.2016 at 2:58 AM, YongKang said:

Hello guys, I've seen a lot of hate towards Mad Catz mices and I would like to know the reason behind this. I quite dig their design personally but a lot of people seem to hate about their quality control. Please clear my mind.

The entire schtick behind their mice is adjustments through various screws. This results in their mice necessarily being made out of multiple pieces, which makes them very prone for dust and hair accumulation. Also, by making the mouse adjustable, they have to make it out of more than 2 pieces, which makes for a very uncomfortable mouse. This could probably be fixed if their mice had a good coating, but I haven't seen any that do. And really, the adjusting schtick just doesn't work: Yes, it might make a single mouse a slightly better fit, but after you get that perfect setting, you're never going  to change it, rendering it pointless; you could have just bought a mouse in the more comfortable shape in the first place.

Also, the mice Mad Catz make are fucking ugly. They look more like futuristic design projects than mice. A mouse is, above all else, a tool. For a tool, functionality will always trump looks. Also, the looks of their mice are very tacky, with multiple, bright colours. And really, the mice just look like toys.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

On 2/9/2016 at 7:58 PM, YongKang said:

I have been using Mad Catz RAT 9 for about a year and I starting to hate it. At first it looks really cool, bu when you look at a transformer on your desk every day it gets to be pretty annoying. The sensor is nice but I don't really have any other mice to compare it to. As for the customization, I have not changed anything after I opened the box. Even if I was to change something, it doesn't make as much of a difference as you would think. I really want a new mouse, just because design is so important to me and I am starting to hate the angles and metal and red lights. If you were ever thinking about buying one- don't. It is definitely not worth $150, or even getting one refurbished off of eBay (that's what I did). As I am typing this my hatred for my mouse has grown. Wish me luck as I go to click the submit reply button- it might transform into Optimus Prime...

Just now, Thony said:

I was talking about FINAL MOUSE not mad catz where u quoted me. Hope u are aware.

I know, both are a joke in that regard. :>

Not to mention that Finalmouse is BSing harder than ever, talking about "moving production stateside" and other delusional stuff.

5 hours ago, woll3 said:

I know, both are a joke in that regard. :>

Not to mention that Finalmouse is BSing harder than ever, talking about "moving production stateside" and other delusional stuff.

As far as i know it has same sensor as G502 (or at least i think thats what i read). Whats so bad about the firmware ?

I've been running a Rat 9 since release and have zero complaints! admittedly I'm on my second as the first died after about 2 years, but it was covered under warranty and I got a new one. 

it's been my daily driver for 4 or 5 years and I think I'd find it hard to change! 

im even in the market for a new mouse for my laptop and I wish they did a Bluetooth version!! 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

20 hours ago, olbaze said:

The entire schtick behind their mice is adjustments through various screws. This results in their mice necessarily being made out of multiple pieces, which makes them very prone for dust and hair accumulation. Also, by making the mouse adjustable, they have to make it out of more than 2 pieces, which makes for a very uncomfortable mouse. This could probably be fixed if their mice had a good coating, but I haven't seen any that do. And really, the adjusting schtick just doesn't work: Yes, it might make a single mouse a slightly better fit, but after you get that perfect setting, you're never going  to change it, rendering it pointless; you could have just bought a mouse in the more comfortable shape in the first place.

Also, the mice Mad Catz make are fucking ugly. They look more like futuristic design projects than mice. A mouse is, above all else, a tool. For a tool, functionality will always trump looks. Also, the looks of their mice are very tacky, with multiple, bright colours. And really, the mice just look like toys.

I do agree on the comfort side as you'll stick with it once you find it.
Aesthetics is more of a personal opinion. I do like bright colors in my work space. It helps me to ease my mood.

On 14.2.2016 at 2:30 PM, Thony said:

As far as i know it has same sensor as G502 (or at least i think thats what i read). Whats so bad about the firmware ?

It is bought in from e-signal and causes higher delay in comparison to others, especially with that cheap holtek MCU, also the current ones are using PMW3310, S1 is supposed to have the 3360, which while similar, has a few changes that are detrimental to performance in comparison to 3366.