SSD and Video Editing

Geekazoid

Hey there guys,

Just got a curious question for you.

How much does an SSD help with video editing?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I don't think so, video's take allot of space you if you don't want to spend you life savings on an SSD you can buy an HDD and save the video's on there, but you could install the video editing software on the SSD and it will boot up faster 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I don't think so, video's take allot of space you if you don't want to spend you life savings on an SSD you can buy an HDD and save the video's on there, but you could install the video editing software on the SSD and it will boot up faster 

Ah! sorry forgot to mention that I already have a HDD an just wondering how much an SDD would speed up video editing software such as Sony Vegas with things such as rendering and video playback on the timeline.

It will speed things up, the HDD are one of the main bottlenecks....

BUT.   Is it really worth the money to spend on an SSD large enough to hold all the files?

Unless time is money, IE doing these videos for paying clients then that would be a yes,

otherwise. no

Anytime a HDD is acting as a bottleneck in anything you do, then an SSD will remove it.... to a point.

Ah! sorry forgot to mention that I already have a HDD an just wondering how much an SDD would speed up video editing software such as Sony Vegas with things such as rendering and video playback on the timeline.

It would help if you're working with high quality content like 4K where a normal hdd just wouldn't keep up.

Get one regardless though--the overall performance is worth it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Since the video will be saved on the HDD the rendering will not go faster

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Hey there guys,

Just got a curious question for you.

How much does an SSD help with video editing?

Useing the the software...

If your computer is using lots of virtual ram, it makes a big difference, if you use it as a scratch disk made a incredible difference.

Rendering the video...

Most HD will wright at 110mb/s which is faster than your computer might be able to compile... so may not make any difference...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

While I have no idea, Mine just works great...

I was thinking the better iops the drive has, the better overall for "data crunching" with higher throughput.

SSD's for video editing no doubt would be better IMO, I keep an empty Agility 3 which over time ends up being a 210/110mb/s drive, so thats where my program reads its video data from, and I save to a samsung 840 pro.

Eventually getting two good SSD's instead of this current 1x great SSD and 1x average SSD for reading and writing.

Having other video editing programs what show me how many kb/s are being written during the encode, SSD's are faster.

Writing to a Mechanical, SSD for reading the data, faster.

Writing to SSD via reading from SSD, faster, and Writing to SSD Reading from Mechanical is still a little faster overall from the default Mech to Mech.

If your worried about "writes" and drive life. then don't do it or change ur mind.

If you set up a specific purpose and drives for it, it wouldnt worry you much if something went wrong, you probably have the knowledge to fix it with easy asking/searching these days...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It will speed things up, the HDD are one of the main bottlenecks....

BUT.   Is it really worth the money to spend on an SSD large enough to hold all the files?

Unless time is money, IE doing these videos for paying clients then that would be a yes,

otherwise. no

Anytime a HDD is acting as a bottleneck in anything you do, then an SSD will remove it.... to a point.

I'm only getting a 120GB SSD that will go along with my HDD.

Since the video will be saved on the HDD the rendering will not go faster

Well I was actually thinking I would render the video to the SSD and move it later.

Thanks for all your help guys. It's very much appreciated.

It would work best for a work disk.

Most hard drives can do at least 100MB/s, and most HD 1080p video is a maximum of 40MB/s

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB