LTT Power Supply Tier List 1.0

Tier Lists are a joke

The primary problem with a tier list is it doesn't take into account an end user and his or her specific needs. Instead what it does is generalizes units, some units which have been reviewed based on more parameters than others. Nobody should use power supply tier lists because they stink. People take them so seriously, and they only cause more harm than good. They don't take into account an end user (purchaser) and his or her needs. It is also severely biased by whoever created the list. Why then did I once make this list? Because I was a fool. I now know more, I dedicate a lot of my time to becoming more intelligent and learning more about power supplies. I know a gazillion more things than I did when I made this piece of trash list. Every tier list should be deleted, they are not good at all.

Nice list...You might consider actually providing links to the reviews for the top 2-3 tiers. You indicate that there are professional reviews available, but providing a link may be helpful for users who are new to shopping for good power supplies. Baring that, perhaps a note of trusted sites for power supply reviews such as Johnny Guru. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Looks arbitrary to me, what values define a tier one psu? Where was the data collected from? How did you validate it?

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

1 minute ago, Papakuma said:

Nice list...You might consider actually providing links to the reviews for the top 2-3 tiers. You indicate that there are professional reviews available, but providing a link may be helpful for users who are new to shopping for good power supplies. Baring that, perhaps a note of trusted sites for power supply reviews such as Johnny Guru. 

The majority of the information is from Jonnyguru, Hardwaresecrets, or other sites that actually post legitimate PSU reviews. but I don't want to go digging out the links now. The thing is, anybody can use Google and easily find these reviews, and it'll take hours for me to get all those hyperlinks. If you Google a PSU and can't find a real review in the first two pages, there is none.

On 2/8/2016 at 8:53 PM, unidentical said:

Looks arbitrary to me, what values define a tier one psu? Where was the data collected from? How did you validate it?

It's not arbitrary, but I figured someone would question. There are four major factors contributing to a PSUs quality that are judged upon: voltage regulation (both load regulation and line regulation, load being more important), ripple suppression, transient responses, and build quality most notably the capacitors. Some reviews to check other things like hold-up time, in which I'll take it into account. If a power supply has, let's just say, fantastic voltage regulation, quality Japanese capacitors, great spikes, but has 100mv of ripple on the 12V rail, the good things will not balance out the bad. I most often will take the worst characteristic and place it into a Tier, which in the case of 100mv of ripple would be Tier 4. This way you are ensured that by buying a Tier x PSU, everything is Tier x quality in that PSU, not just some things.

I'm strict about PSU quality. Data is collected from pro reviews, of course, mostly Jonnyguru.

On 2/8/2016 at 8:56 PM, Tac127 said:

Some one has already done this: 

There are a lot of issue with the imgur list and the LTT one. One thing is, lots of grouping by series rather than individual judgement of each model in a series. They list the Antec Earthwatts as Tier 2. Ha! Have you even seen the ripple on the 750W Earthwatts? It is completely out the window. I know a lot about power supplies, and I am judging every unit individually, not grouping units out of laziness for not wanting to review each and every model in a series.

I made this tier list because I think there are too many issues with all other tier lists that I have ridden this one of. You don't need to use this list if you don't like it, you can use the other one if you want. If you want, you can pick an item on my list that you don't think should be placed where it is, and I'd be happy to explain why I made it how it is. xD

7 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I'm strict about PSU quality. Data is collected from pro reviews, of course, mostly Jonnyguru.

You should state this in the top of the post. As I indicated...the new user who has never build before will have no idea who is a reputable source of information on this topic or who to trust when it comes to professional reviews. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Nevermind.  I misread. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

This should be pinned. There is a lot of quality information here. 

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Updated list! About 10 power supply additions, as well as vivid descriptions of exactly what I rank these units by.

What do you know about the Corsair CX600 (non M)? I am using one in my system right now.

3 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

What do you know about the Corsair CX600 (non M)? I am using one in my system right now.

I still have to add the CX to the list (can't believe I didn't yet, seeing as to how common they are). It depends what one you have. There is a bronze one, and a non-Bronze one. The Bronze is the revised. They, unfortunately, keep the exact same name to confuse people. In general, they are mediocre to lower quality power supplies, the CX higher-wattage units like the 600W and 700W are. They are notorious for the capacitors leaking too early, and don't do well with higher temperatures. They are not very good, if I'll be honest with you, but you could have a lot worse. It would likely be a Tier 4. Tier 4 units wouldn't necessarily bad for cheap computers, but I wouldn't use them on gaming rigs or machines over $500.

15 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I still have to add the CX to the list (can't believe I didn't yet, seeing as to how common they are). It depends what one you have. There is a bronze one, and a non-Bronze one. The Bronze is the revised. They, unfortunately, keep the exact same name to confuse people. In general, they are mediocre to lower quality power supplies, the CX higher-wattage units like the 600W and 700W are. They are notorious for the capacitors leaking too early, and don't do well with higher temperatures. They are not very good, if I'll be honest with you, but you could have a lot worse. It would likely be a Tier 4. Tier 4 units wouldn't necessarily bad for cheap computers, but I wouldn't use them on gaming rigs or machines over $500.

So then how long will this thing last me? I have the bronze edition, by the way.

turkey3, you know me as okcnaline on Tom's.

Why is NEXG T4? It's not that bad.

And as for infinity, I've seen CX fail after 3/2 years. Some bought CX units 3 years ago and still does fine. So, depends.

12 minutes ago, okcnaline said:

turkey3, you know me as okcnaline on Tom's.

Why is NEXG T4? It's not that bad.

And as for infinity, I've seen CX fail after 3/2 years. Some bought CX units 3 years ago and still does fine. So, depends.

That's a different power supply in Tier 4 specifically called "NEX Classified", not NEX G. Full review is here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=311 It's a pretty solid quality unit, but it has a funky ripple issue I'm not overly fond of. It could be Tier 3, but the ripple issue was consistent with two of the units.

@infinitymdm: Your CX is fine, I wouldn't get majorly concerned over it.

2 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

@infinitymdm: Your CX is fine, I wouldn't get majorly concerned over it.

11 minutes ago, okcnaline said:

I've seen CX fail after 3/2 years. Some bought CX units 3 years ago and still does fine. So, depends.

I do plan to upgrade to something that has enough wattage to run Crossfire eventually, so I'm not super worried about it. And I also got an impeccable deal on the CX600, so I have a little money to put towards something like an HX850. I plan to run this thing for a while.

I'm surprised that I didn't see my Cougar PSU. 

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Do you have any opinions or have you found much on the Bitfenix Fury line? I'm looking to get the 750w version and I'm curious as to how it compares to others. I like the pre-sleeved cables, even if that's not something you judge. 

Gonna have to call you out on a couple of factors.

1. Why are some near identical same model PSUs on different tiers? For example, all EVGA G2 PSUs are from the same OEM, yet the 1000W and 1300W units are tier 3 as compared to the other G2s which are tier 1. Their Jonnyguru reviews, given that he's reviewed enough of the units to make clear judgement, shows little to no disparity in the quality of the units between wattages. 

2. Why bother listing wattages if you're gonna miss out some? The Corsair RMx series is an example. 

3. I flat out disagree with some. If most of the information is from Jonnyguru, then the HXi series should be tier 1.

4. Way too confusing. What is the EVGA "G" series? Is it the GS series? I doubt so since there's only a 1050W version and not a 1000W version.

5. You're missing some. What about the Cooler Master V1200 Platinum? Or the Corsair RMi series?

14 minutes ago, InfiniteZero0 said:

Gonna have to call you out on a couple of factors.

1. Why are some near identical same model PSUs on different tiers? For example, all EVGA G2 PSUs are from the same OEM, yet the 1000W and 1300W units are tier 3 as compared to the other G2s which are tier 1. Their Jonnyguru reviews, given that he's reviewed enough of the units to make clear judgement, shows little to no disparity in the quality of the units between wattages. 

2. Why bother listing wattages if you're gonna miss out some? The Corsair RMx series is an example. 

3. I flat out disagree with some. If most of the information is from Jonnyguru, then the HXi series should be tier 1.

4. Way too confusing. What is the EVGA "G" series? Is it the GS series? I doubt so since there's only a 1050W version and not a 1000W version.

5. You're missing some. What about the Cooler Master V1200 Platinum? Or the Corsair RMi series?

1. The G2 1000w and 1300w use chinese secondary (or is it tertiary?) capacitors while the rest don't (iirc). 

2. Some is better than none I guess? 

4. EVGA G probably refers to the G1 series. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Please fix text formatting for night theme.

Otherwise great post.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I will likely be moving the G2 1000W and 1300W to Tier 2. Those were a couple of the very first units I looked at, and the first few units I did I was a bit harsher on the capacitors, so those will probably be moved to Tier 2, but they do use Capxon electrolytics on the modular connector board. Reasons like this are why I only judge individual models and not a whole series.

I add more PSUs every day, so I did not "forget" any, but I merely haven't gotten to them. What is your Cougar PSU, Dive? I'll add it. I'll also add the Bitfenix Fury Line, and the Collermaster V1200 Platinum. I'll get to those today and put them on. And, I'm sure there's a reason I made HXi Tier 2. Remember, Tier 1 is the only Tier that has a Japanese-only rule for capacitors, that's my methodology for that tier, and it won't change.

EVGA G is Supernova G, but if I need to clarify that I shall when I push an update later today.

I'd like to know, @turkey3_scratch, exactly what criteria puts a PSU in a particular tier?  For example, ripple worse than 20 mV on 12V demotes it to Tier 2, voltage deviation greater than 1% from nominal on a crossload demotes to Tier 3, or how does that work, as well as your other criteria?

Also, I see the "not recommended" Tiers - 5 & 6.  I'm guessing, on one hand, that means don't go out and buy a PSU from said tier, but what if someone has bought a pre-built system that happens to include one of those PSUs?  Would those tiers also mean "rip your pre-built system's PSU out immediately, before you even turn the computer on for the first time, and replace it with a Tier 2 or better PSU" or something like that? :)