What should I use to reduce power consumption without reducing performance too much?

Dabombinable

My current desktop has made the quarterly power bill go up by $50, so I've got to figure out the best way to reduce power without sacrificing performance too much. These are the parts screen that I have available at the moment:

• i7 4790K (stock ATM)
  • i5 4440
  • Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII
  • Asus H87M Pro (supports the 4790K fully)
  • 4x4GB DDR3 1333, 1 stick rated at 1600
  • WD Blue 1TB
  • OCZ ARC 100 240GB
  • GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB
  • 6x 120mm fans
  • Cooler Master Seidon 120V (stock fan)
  • Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2.0
  • LG 24EN43 32W 1080p LCD LED screen
  • Hicon 45W 85Hz 1024x768 IPS (or extremely good TN panel) TV/PC monitor
  • Corsair VS650
  • Corsair CX850M (really bad coil whine under mid to high loads)
  • HP Pavilion DV6 3010AX 90W laptop with Phenom II N970 upgrade and 320GB 5400RPM Sata II HDD ripped from fried Dell laptop.

I am currently using (of course) the 4790K+GTX 970+16GB RAM+the 120V+CX850M, and I originally bought the 650ti in mind of the monitors low resolution (and bought the screen when I realised that the GTX 970 was coming out at the end of the year). The main use for the rig has been gaming+video transcoding (using HVEC, with the goal being high compression at real time) and I can still stand lowering the settings in games if need be (though modded Skyrim is still the most intensive-even after playing FO4). Pretty much what config could I use to get the most out of the rig while lowering power consumption (I no longer live in a house with solar, which is another reason for re building my rig).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've been wondering about underclocking parts too, and how far they will go. Can I get an i7 onto two thirds of the voltage? This would be good to know for, say, a briefcase laptop build. Anyone tried *really* underclocking? Like, underclocking a lot. I feel like at some point it starts to get diminishing returns and has an absolute minimum, but I haven't got enough parts or money to find out.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

10 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I've been wondering about underclocking parts too, and how far they will go. Can I get an i7 onto two thirds of the voltage? This would be good to know for, say, a briefcase laptop build. Anyone tried *really* underclocking? Like, underclocking a lot. I feel like at some point it starts to get diminishing returns and has an absolute minimum, but I haven't got enough parts or money to find out.

I suppose for me at least that is an option-though in the past I've found that hyperthreading didn't seem to work as well at lower clocks.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

GTX 970 + i7 4790K i guess 600W PSU will be sufficient,  i have 970 plus I7 4790 and i don't overclock and i use 500W power supply,  you can use 600W if you overclock and save 250W per hour

or maybe 550W will do