When anything intensive is being done with GPU, my monitor randomly shuts off.

Hi,

I've had this issue for a while. What essentially happens is that my screen goes black (as in, backlight is off, not just rendering a black image) and the sound will stop. Then it will come back on after a time of 1-10 seconds.

System info:
Radeon Software Version - 15.12
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury X
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - High Bandwidth Memory (HBM)
Core Clock - 1050 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Memory - 32 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz

When folding it does this. When gaming on some games (not all of them though) it does this. It does not do this when just web browsing or watching videos.

I've swapped out the DisplayPort cable. I've switched plugs on the GPU. I've tried going back to older drivers (ones that it didn't do this on). I've tried underclocking the GPU. Nothing fixes it.

It does not do this on Debian 8.2 Jessie when playing Linux supported intensive games.

If I were an observer, I'd say it was the GPU having issues until I read the "it doesn't do it in Linux" part. Then I'd say it's the drivers, but I tried going back and that didn't fix it.

I thought maybe it was the Monitor dying, but it doesn't do this for any other system (PS3, PS4, another gaming PC, etc.). I honestly have no idea what the issue could be at this point as I feel I've troubleshooted every part of the process.

Any help is appreciated. I can't game because of this most of the time.

Note: If a response is posted that reads as though the poster didn't read this post (i.e. says to do things I already tried), I will report it as spam, because imo that's what they are.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

It sounds like your display driver is failing and recovering. Is the card overclocked?

Underclocked by 5% on power, 5% on clock speed, and set to throttle at 70C instead of factory 75C with fan speed set to 100% to better manage that.

It did this before I set those settings, and setting them back to default does not prevent the issue from happening.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I know you said you tried new and old drivers, i know when you install and uninstall drivers they leave remnants of the old drivers, do you think that them old drivers are interfereing. 

Have you tried using other programs that supposedly completely remove previously used display drivers?

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Just now, That_Random_Guy said:

I know you said you tried new and old drivers, i know when you install and uninstall drivers they leave remnants of the old drivers, do you thing that them old drivers are interfereing. 

Have you tried using other programs that supposedly completely remove display drivers?

This. You should completely remove your drivers, and reinstall them just to be safe.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Just now, That_Random_Guy said:

I know you said you tried new and old drivers, i know when you install and uninstall drivers they leave remnants of the old drivers, do you think that them old drivers are interfereing. 

Have you tried using other programs that supposedly completely remove display drivers?

Yes. I tried AMD's Clean Uninstall utility and Guru3D's DDU.

† Christian Member †

Two things to try: 

• Re-seat the card, just to be safe. 
  • Reinstall Windows.

You mention that the card does not do this on Linux, which has grounds to say it might be a Windows issue. 

I was going to recommend DDU also.
Ya have another gpu you could swap in there and see if that fixes it?

Also clean windows install, if that's an option for you.

Edited by Gumi Rokkaku
Reinstall windows
Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604