i7-6700 (non-K) is enough to do everything or is better to buy the K version?

RRGT19

Hi,

I have never overcloked my CPU, so i don't know anything about it.

I will build a new gaming pc and i was thinking this topic.

i7-6700 (non-K) is enough to play all games just fine, such as GTA V, Far Cry, BF3, every game out there........

with a 980ti at max settings and i will have the best performance possible?.

or do i need to buy the K version?, there will be a noticeable performance?....

WE REALLY NEED THIS IN OUR LIVES?...

PS4 and XBOX ONE run the games just perfect at 60hz 1080p... so........ this is just for comparison....

1 minute ago, RGT said:

Hi,

i7-6700 (non-K) is enough to play all games just fine, such as GTA V, Far Cry, BF3, every game out there........

PS4 and XBOX ONE run the games just perfect at 60hz 1080p... so........ this is just for comparison....

no noticeable performance.... except when the K is overclocked.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

no noticeable performance.... except when the K is overclocked.

that is what i want to know.

if the buy the K version and i overclock it, will be best for gaming or not enought to worth the extra cost?

1 minute ago, RGT said:

Hi,

1. XB1 runs these games at 30 Hz 1080p, with much lower settings. 

2. the 6700 is fine, overclocking it will be better. 

3. The I7 4790k will be less expensive and also run at max

4. Not all those games need an I7, most will run well on an I5. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

A PS4/Xbone run the vast majority of games at sub-1080p resolutions and/or at 30fps at significantly lower settings. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Stardar1 said:

1. XB1 runs these games at 30 Hz 1080p, with much lower settings. 

2. the 6700 is fine, overclocking it will be better. 

3. The I7 4790k will be less expensive and also run at max

4. Not all those games need an I7, most will run well on an I5. 

i can't buy 4790 because i want to have the latest tecnology, which is ddr4.....

so is better buy the K version and overclock it?, really worth it?.

My feeling is that the K cpu can be overclocked when it becomes a bottleneck to squeeze more life out of the CPU, but we are a long time away from a CPU becoming a bottleneck but this CPU could last you until then. 

If you have a system to hand the the non K chip down to, then it's also a good deal .

The CPU is one of the most expensive parts no matter what, might as well splurge. 

2 minutes ago, RGT said:

i can't buy 4790 because i want to have the latest tecnology, which is ddr4.....

DDR3 is still fine, and Skylake can use DDR3 on some motherboards. 

If you already have DDR4, I may even recommend X99 instead. 

to answer your question, you do not need to OC it, but the price difference is negligible, so there is little reason not to. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

6 minutes ago, RGT said:

DDR3 is pretty much the same as DDR4 with games and almost anything else. If you already have the DDR4 then go X99 for the extra cores.

the 4790k is the best choice here by far.. if u wanna get the "latest and greatest" then get x99 as thats far better then skylake. 

to answer your orginal question if you would like to overclock or plan to do any in the future get the k version. 

EDIT: What resolution/monitor are you using? If your talking about "console" frame rate then you can get aan i3 and be fine. they run at 30fps on low-medium settings.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

1 minute ago, Cvdasfg said:

DDR3 is pretty much the same as DDR4 with games and almost anything else. If you already have the DDR4 then go X99 for the extra cores.

the 4790k is the best choice here by far.. if u wanna get the "latest and greatest" then get x99 as thats far better then skylake. 

to answer your orginal question if you would like to overclock or plan to do any in the future get the k version. 

4 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

DDR3 is still fine, and Skylake can use DDR3 on some motherboards. 

If you already have DDR4, I may even recommend X99 instead. 

to answer your question, you do not need to OC it, but the price difference is negligible, so there is little reason not to. 

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Go for the K version. Even if you never overclock, it will make the resale value higher in the future.

6 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

My feeling is that the K cpu can be overclocked when it becomes a bottleneck to squeeze more life out of the CPU, but we are a long time away from a CPU becoming a bottleneck but this CPU could last you until then. 

If you have a system to hand the the non K chip down to, then it's also a good deal .

The CPU is one of the most expensive parts no matter what, might as well splurge. 

i want a MiniITX pc case to reduce space and dust...

and all i found is Z170i PRO GAMIING.......... and VIII IMPACT which has better sound.

1. PRO GAMING and i7-6700k

2. IMPACT and I5-6600K=k

???

Just now, RGT said:

i want a MiniITX pc case to reduce space and dust...

and all i found is Z170i PRO GAMIING.......... and VIII IMPACT which has better sound.

1. PRO GAMING and i7-6700k

2. IMPACT and I5-6600K=k

???

Solitaire. 

2 minutes ago, Caine said:

its more than enough, but it will perform better overclocked

if you don't want to mess with overclocking (its a pain in the ass), then dont

i've been overclocking cpu's for awhile now and it's still a pain

so, is better to buy H170 board with non-k processor?

2 minutes ago, RGT said:

so, is better to buy H170 board with non-k processor?

it's up to you. do you want to overclock? it's not that hard, it just takes time to stress test. with a 6700k, you can probably get 4.7ghz on the core. if you're down to learn how to overclock then buy the k cpu

basically, if you can afford it without having it impact your gpu budget, then buy the k processor

Edited by Caine

12 minutes ago, Caine said:

it's up to you. do you want to overclock? it's not that hard, it just takes time to stress test. with a 6700k, you can probably get 4.7ghz on the core. if you're down to learn how to overclock then buy the k cpu

basically, if you can afford it without having it impact your gpu budget, then buy the k processor

" basically, if you can afford it without having it impact your gpu budget, then buy the k processor "  

RGT, this is your answer!

1 hour ago, RGT said:

that is what i want to know.

if the buy the K version and i overclock it, will be best for gaming or not enought to worth the extra cost?

yes it will be better if you overclock it.

but if its only for gaming then the i5 is fine.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz