confused over alienware and msi

Hello everyone 

im a bit confused over should i get an alienware or msi gaming laptop. the two models are

msi GS60 ghost pro-238 with GPU 970m 6 G.B

and

Alienware 15 r2 (two options) from xotic pc 4 G.B or 8 G.B from dell.com 

i have been stuck thinking about them for over a month. so i thought i should get your advice :) respected fourm users 

and thank you so much 

regards :)

dont get alienware

its that simple :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, mrkhaled88 said:

Hello everyone 

im a bit confused over should i get an alienware or msi gaming laptop. the two models are

and

i have been stuck thinking about them for over a month. so i thought i should get your advice :) respected fourm users 

and thank you so much 

alienware pc : 

---------------------------
I
I
I
I---------------------------

msi : 
---------------------------------

also msi is just like. 100x better at building gaming laptops

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 hour ago, mrkhaled88 said:

Hello everyone 

and

and thank you so much 

Alienware gets my vote. Because it has a 980M from what you described.

EDIT: I would suggest getting this instead though

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8658-S.html

This has 3 cooling fans which provide better cooling, 980M with 8GB of VRAM just like the Alienware if bought from Dell, thin and light (as compared to the Alienware), and G-Sync which the Alienware doesn't have. And you also won't void warranty by upgrading the components yourself.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

12 hours ago, givingtnt said:

alienware pc : 

---------------------------
I
I
I
I---------------------------

msi : 

also msi is just like. 100x better at building gaming laptops

thank you so much for the help bro :). and i do agree even though this might be my first msi laptop. msi laptops are great from what im hearing. but for the other party they have the external graphical amplifier. which msi don't at the moment. at CES 16. they didn't announce an external one like razer core or asus xg2 

should i ignore and go for msi all the way? my order is ready at xotic pc all is left is to pay :)

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

dont get alienware

Why not bro? please let me hear your opinion on why not? the people around me are having orgasms just by hearing its name. even though they game just design web pages like me. 

btw im a gamer as well. and i like the external gpu they have :)

12 hours ago, Mazeman03 said:

alienware is shitty AF

hello bro

can i ask why is it shitty? i have used it at the retailer store and it looks ok. but never had one before to know is it good or is it bad?

i hope to get to hear your opinion  

1 minute ago, mrkhaled88 said:

hello bro

can i ask why is it shitty? i have used it at the retailer store and it looks ok. but never had one before to know is it good or is it bad?

i hope to get to hear your opinion  

the pc its self if not shitty. its the company that is. customer support in my experience takes hours and then after you get a hold of them they just read off a manual because they know nothing about computers. its way over priced most of the time. and well you have MSI to pick from and MSI is way better.

1010011010/29A

4 minutes ago, Mazeman03 said:

the pc its self if not shitty. its the company that is. customer support in my experience takes hours and then after you get a hold of them they just read off a manual because they know nothing about computers. its way over priced most of the time. and well you have MSI to pick from and MSI is way better.

it's really amazing to hear that service center at the US branch are bad like that. im wondering about how is it at my place :( ?

by the way at my place if i want to fix msi i need to give to service to ship it to US to get fixed and get shipped back to me.

but not dell. we do have authorized service center for dell. so would you still go for msi? if you were at my position?

Just now, mrkhaled88 said:

it's really amazing to hear that service center at the US branch are bad like that. im wondering about how is it at my place :( ?

by the way at my place if i want to fix msi i need to give to service to ship it to US to get fixed and get shipped back to me.

but not dell. we do have authorized service center for dell. so would you still go for msi? if you were at my position?

honestly i would just because of my past experience. but where are you located? 

1010011010/29A

19 minutes ago, mrkhaled88 said:

thank you so much for the help bro :). and i do agree even though this might be my first msi laptop. msi laptops are great from what im hearing. but for the other party they have the external graphical amplifier. which msi don't at the moment. at CES 16. they didn't announce an external one like razer core or asus xg2 

should i ignore and go for msi all the way? my order is ready at xotic pc all is left is to pay :)

msi have one, I forgot the model's name tho.

I own the gs70 and its very similar to the gs60. very good laptops. they are super thin and have amazing battery life for their size and power.
I really reccomend them.

alienware's laptop is farely bulky in comparison however it does have greater battery life and cooling capabilities
alienware is becoming much better over the past 2 years. but people seem to overlook that and keep to what they used to do (overpricing of farely bad laptops)

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

5 minutes ago, Mazeman03 said:

honestly i would just because of my past experience. but where are you located? 

im located at UAE. of course im buying from xoticpc.com because they charge 3k$ for mid alienware 15 r2 and 2500$ for msi the one i want 

so msi or alienware :)?

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

msi have one, I forgot the model's name tho.

I own the gs70 and its very similar to the gs60. very good laptops. they are super thin and have amazing battery life for their size and power.
I really reccomend them.

alienware's laptop is farely bulky in comparison however it does have greater battery life and cooling capabilities
alienware is becoming much better over the past 2 years. but people seem to overlook that and keep to what they used to do (overpricing of farely bad laptops)

That's exactly why i started this post. they both Amazing laptops with great capabilities and hopes. but i never tried nether msi nor alienware. i have been always using Asus through my whole life. even now my father told me you have 3 days to surrender your laptop for its full price (using ux501jw). 

im into gaming of course and love 4K screens and i prefer to go full future proof. if i buy something i buy it all maxed out so i can have it grow for years with me. and alienware have the potential through its gpu amplifier. dunno about msi but still Amazed by it. still will be extremely happy with both. but taking more advice from you bro :)

23 minutes ago, mrkhaled88 said:

That's exactly why i started this post. they both Amazing laptops with great capabilities and hopes. but i never tried nether msi nor alienware. i have been always using Asus through my whole life. even now my father told me you have 3 days to surrender your laptop for its full price (using ux501jw). 

im into gaming of course and love 4K screens and i prefer to go full future proof. if i buy something i buy it all maxed out so i can have it grow for years with me. and alienware have the potential through its gpu amplifier. dunno about msi but still Amazed by it. still will be extremely happy with both. but taking more advice from you bro :)

you got to remember tho, 4k at 15" is not very usefull. there is not much diference from the 1080p screen, also given that it is not ips (wich is why I picked the 17" model over the 4k 15")

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

you got to remember tho, 4k at 15" is not very usefull. there is not much diference from the 1080p screen, also given that it is not ips (wich is why I picked the 17" model over the 4k 15")

i agree with you in this one. but for future proof purposes 4K might get a standard in a year or two. 

but atm im having a 4K and i changed it to FHD 

i think im about to change my mind to FHD model. but at reviews like linus and others they are saying 4K models have more nits like 300 nits and more accurate RGB. 

i have been watching reviews and benchmarks for 2 weeks now 

i agree with you in this one. but for future proof purposes 4K might get a standard in a year or two. 

but atm im having a 4K and i changed it to FHD 

i think im about to change my mind to FHD model. but at reviews like linus and others they are saying 4K models have more nits like 300 nits and more accurate RGB. 

i have been watching reviews and benchmarks for 2 weeks now 

yes but keep in mind this is a laptop. it takes 4x the power to run that screen. wich is about 3-4x time the battery drain  wich is the same on both versions

11 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

yes but keep in mind this is a laptop. it takes 4x the power to run that screen. wich is about 3-4x time the battery drain  wich is the same on both versions

you have really given me a long thinking process to go through and i thank you a lot for it. and almost 500$ saved (499 in real numbers you know how sites love to put 99 instead of 100). looks like im going for the FHD version :)

thank you so much bro :) 

you have really given me a long thinking process to go through and i thank you a lot for it. and almost 500$ saved (499 in real numbers you know how sites love to put 99 instead of 100). looks like im going for the FHD version :)

thank you so much bro :) 

haha no problems ! thats what im here for ;) 

This isn't really going to help in your decision but I bought an alienware as my last laptop, it was a 14" model and had a GTX 555M in it at the time.

The thing lasted me like 6 years, and still worked great, hell still does, just stopped using it cause I built my own gaming system. (I used it with a HDMI cable to play Skyrim on max settings on my 50" FHD Plasma, no worries)

People tend to complain Alienware are bad, or overpriced, but that thing was by far the best laptop I ever owned. Yes it is a bit bulky for a 14" laptop but really I always liked it. Shows it has some beef behind it, even when I took it to Uni the non tech people would instantly know it was built for gaming. And it seemed to divert people from just picking it up and moving it, or touching it at all without permission. (was super common with macbooks at uni, others just used them or moved them like they owned the thing, even if you were just ducking over to the printer)

But MSI make a great product too.

Honestly don't think you'll go wrong either way, just pick the one that suits your budget and is asthetically more pleasing to you, cause you'll be looking at it for a long time :P  

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

3 hours ago, mrkhaled88 said:

Why not bro? please let me hear your opinion on why not? the people around me are having orgasms just by hearing its name. even though they game just design web pages like me. 

btw im a gamer as well. and i like the external gpu they have :)

Because its crap

overpriced hardware with bad specs, ugly design, and RGB all over the place to appeal to children

The marketing is where most of your money goes, and its all targeted at young kids who dont know any better and buy crap like it because they think its "cool"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have the same Msi laptop, and it's a good laptop, nice trackpad, good keyboard, doesn't get too hot, led keyboard is cool, display is solid. Battery on balance is alright. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

20 hours ago, Mazeman03 said:

alienware is shitty AF

20 hours ago, Enderman said:

dont get alienware

Whats so bad about alienware laptops?