NVIDIA shady business practises?

Do you think that NVIDIA is using shady business practises?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that NVIDIA is using shady business practises?

• Yes
    • No

I have no opinion on the matter, these are just the accusations made against NVIDIA.

Gameworks

NVIDIA's Gameworks API is a proprietary software that game developers can use to create games that can be supported by many GPUs and the SKUs of each chip. The issue with Gameworks is that it infamously makes games run like s**t on AMD graphics cards. As a result of this many high end AMD cards such as the R9 390X can be beat out by a GTX 960 in certain games. (PROJECT CARS) This game will probably be mentioned a lot in this post.

PhysX

PhysX is a physics program that is built directly into NVIDIA GPUs, in order for AMD users to utilize this they need to run PhysX on their CPU. Advanced PhysX also can't be run on any AMD card no matter what, NVIDIA have been accused of also preventing AMD graphics card users to use NVIDIA GPUs solely to run PhysX on their cards. PhysX is a fair use of competitive advantages as there are very effective ways to accomplish the same thing on other products.

Planned Obsolescence and AMD slowdowns

Supposedly NVIDIA have been finding ways to make older graphics cards run slower than Maxwell cards, mainly in a Gameworks title called Project Cars.  It should be noted that the GTX 780 is being beat by the GTX 960, this should not be occuring. It should also be noted that the 290X can't even maintain 60FPS in the game, despite the 290X being in the same tier as the GTX 980 which smashes the 290X with 70 FPS using the benchmarker's configuration. It should also be noted that the AMD results are slightly less consistent in terms of minimum to average FPS.

Benchmarks are credit to Techspot.com, the URL is at the bottom of the post.

1080p_Clear.thumb.png.3bb57cfe545a59e76c

Overuse of Tesselation

Way back in 2009, when Crysis 2 was released, the game for some reason in certain scenes used extreme tessellation on objects that either didn't require it or couldn't be seen at all, examples of this being the Jersey barriers and the water being rendered under the map. The reason this was done is that NVIDIA knew that their cards could handle tessellation better than AMD/ATI cards, so using this knowledge the overused tessellation to tank the competition's FPS. It should also be noted that this also reduced the potential FPS of NVIDIA's own cards.

More recently, Gameworks game The Witcher 3 by CD PROJEKT RED was discovered to use 64X tessellation in the hair of Geralt, this made no visual difference but did however affect performance on AMD cards more adversely than NVIDIA's, as there is no reason to do this it can be assumed that NVIDIA knew that Extreme tessellation would cause a bigger FPS drop in the competition than in their own cards.

Any user having issues with this on AMD's side can use the AMD Crimson program to change maximum tessellation to a more reasonable factor such as 16X.

If you found the article interesting, maybe you would be interested in participating in the poll I made, I want to get everyone's opinion, I realise the post seems biased but in truth this was mainly about the shady practises of NVIDIA. AMD may not be exempt from shady business practises themselves, this post is about NVIDIA however.

This post took forever to make so bear that in mind before you rip me to shreds calling me and AMD fanboy despite me owning an NVIDIA SHIELD tablet and a GTX 760.

Benchmark source: http://www.techspot.com/review/1000-project-cars-benchmarks/page2.html

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Answer is no.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

1 minute ago, LokiFire said:

Answer is no.

I appreciate your opinion, also your rig is... interesting.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Just now, Joegeddon said:

Plays BF4 maxed out.

its so powerful, why buy a titan X and 4790X when you can have pentium II at 700MHz MOAR PLOWER

Plays BF4 maxed out.

FPS? also, what is the cpu strain, cuz 700MHz on a dual core sounds very unlikely to max something with as much phisics simulation as BF4

Just now, Cactusneedle_18 said:

FPS? also, what is the cpu strain, cuz 700MHz on a dual core sounds very unlikely to max something with as much phisics simulation as BF4

It's only 1 core here is a vid i made today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMV4Blzio6U

4 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

Plays BF4 maxed out.

I find your lack of cores disturbing...

I find your lack of cores disturbing...

Best hope my RPG don't hit you out of the sky pal, it gonna be a long sweaty ride in the server with me.

And that's why i care about benchmarks run at medium-high presets and not ultra.

Ultra = the max the engine can, and most of the time providing no improved visuals compared to high and usually causing unneeded load for no visual 

I would prefer that tech guys kick ultra presets in the nuts and draw a line that they choose where they believe visual appearance is as good as it's going to get without turning it all to maximum.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

it looks like it runs at 5 FPS

Watch the rest of the video.

it looks like it runs at 5 FPS

it's laggy when recording, when not recording i get around 60-100FPS, i overclocked the Pentium 3 to 850mhz it helps with the VOODOO 3's.

Nvidia isn't being nice to AMD.

Don't be a douche

Just now, LokiFire said:

it's laggy when recording, when not recording i get around 60-100FPS, i overclocked the Pentium 3 to 850mhz it helps with the VOODOO 3's.

i dont beleive you, no offense

Just now, ThePile said:

Nvidia isn't being nice to AMD.

I don't really expect them to. It's the fact that they have the power to fuck over AMD that's a bit of an issue.

i dont beleive you, no offense

Oh wait you thought this was serious? how dare you mislead me like this sir.. :o

Just now, LokiFire said:

Oh wait you thought this was serious? how dare you mislead me like this sir.. :o

:P

its hard to get sarcasm through text

That's true.

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Well you would have to be a very special person to think a Pentium 3 can max out BF4.

VooDoo 3 can't even DX9 let alone 11.

When I had an R9 290, it ran PCars at a much higher FPS than indicated on that cart in the OP and with more AA. Not sure where they got those number from... My 980 also runs the game better than the chart indicates - and at 1440p. Safe to say, that chart is very inaccurate. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

When I had an R9 290, it ran PCars at a much higher FPS than on that cart in the OP and with more AA. not sure where they got those number from... My 980 also runs the game better than the chart indicates - and at 1440p. Safe to say, that chart is very inaccurate. 

Hmm. I thought the chart was from a reputable source, sorry about that. :/

11 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

Well you would have to be a very special person to think a Pentium 3 can max out BF4.

VooDoo 3 can't even DX9 let alone 11.

im not very familiar with old parts so i assumed the pentium III was more like that one that linus overclocked to compete with the 4690K