Windows 10 keeps freezing/crashing (10 times in 7 days)

Hi guys, I build my first pc 2 months back and its been crashing a few times (mostly when gaming) and I can't even do a force restart, or open task manager to close crashed applications, causing me to do a hard restart/cold restart.. This is really bad for my pc and I hope someone will be able to help :(

The issue from windows event log showed that event ID 56 had some connection to the crashes, is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

By Crashing do you mean freezing or blue screen of death? 

If you get the blue screen, you will get an error message code that you can google for a solution, if it just freezes, it could be driver issues or issues caused by overclocking. Could also be a faulty power supply. Got system specs?

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

did you upgrade to windows 10 or do a clean install

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I found that my workstation was just unusable with Windows 10 after an upgrade from Windows 7, I reckon it was to do with drivers but I couldn't fix it and just ended up doing a clean reinstall.

7 hours ago, Van Weapon said:

By Crashing do you mean freezing or blue screen of death? 

If you get the blue screen, you will get an error message code that you can google for a solution, if it just freezes, it could be driver issues or issues caused by overclocking. Could also be a faulty power supply. Got system specs?

It just freezes, my specs are as follows:

Intel i5-6600k

Asuz170-A

Cooler master Hyper D92

MSI GTX 960

250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD

2TB WD black harddrive

650W seasonic G-series 

8gb corsair vengeance DDR4 2400mhz ram 

Windows 10

The screen just freezes and whatever background sound just plays like it's rapidly repeating the moment it crashed. No blue screen but I am unable to shut down the pc from the power button so I have to always do a cold restart from the main power :/ 

Are you overclocking anything? 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

I have had some weird hangups as well where I have to power down manually. Mouse still moves but nothing is interactable. Not as frequent as you and never in a game...usually while using chrome, awkwardly.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

1 hour ago, Van Weapon said:

Are you overclocking anything? 

No, everythings running at stock setting 

9 hours ago, TechEric said:

I found that my workstation was just unusable with Windows 10 after an upgrade from Windows 7, I reckon it was to do with drivers but I couldn't fix it and just ended up doing a clean reinstall.

I had windows 8.1 but upgraded to Windows 10 a day after installing the OS 

The issue OP describes is very similar to or exactly the same as an issue I am having on my desktop.

I'm running Windows 10, that came from a clean install. It worked for a few months no issues, and only in the past few days has begun to hang as the OP describes, with repeating of the sound played at crash. I also have to manually shutdown via power switch as PC totally frozen. I have had the issue at least 2-3 days straight.

Continued attention and support for this post is appreciated. Also, if I find anything helpful I will of course post it here.

My thanks to those who have been responding and who will respond with solutions.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2016 at 9:00 AM, Jake Dalay said:

The issue OP describes is very similar to or exactly the same as an issue I am having on my desktop.

I'm running Windows 10, that came from a clean install. It worked for a few months no issues, and only in the past few days has begun to hang as the OP describes, with repeating of the sound played at crash. I also have to manually shutdown via power switch as PC totally frozen. I have had the issue at least 2-3 days straight.

Continued attention and support for this post is appreciated. Also, if I find anything helpful I will of course post it here.

My thanks to those who have been responding and who will respond with solutions.

Hi jake, I have tried various ways of solving the issue. Firstly was to go to event log and windows reliability monitor in windows 10, then find out which errors occurred at the time of the crash. For my case, event ID 56 seemed to be causing the problem.. At least that was what I thought. I tried solving these errors individually but eventually they just came back. What I know about the crashes so far is that it is strongly related to the instability of Windows 10. So I have reformatted my harddisks and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 8.1, the problem became less of an issue but when it did occur, I was able to ctrl + alt + dlt and end the task.

Then, after changing the power options of the PCIe power moderation (not sure what it's called but it has PCIe in it) to off, my rig has been running fine for the next 2 days. Haven't had time to test my system for longer as I am in army camp now. Haha. Hope this post helps you!

Update: Nope.. my computer froze in windows 8.1 while playing borderlands 2 after about an hour. starting to suspect faulty ram.

Edited by Dominic Cordeiro

• 9 months later...

In the end, my hardware must have been OK, as everything worked out eventually with no substitutions. I hope that you were able to resolve your issue as well. I think all I ended up doing was another clean install, but I remember struggling with the problem for some time.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780