[Guide] Ramdisk

Ramdisk
The ramdisk guide.

What is a ramdsik?
Ramdisk uses system memory as mass storage. Since system memory is fast, doesn’t wear down over time like NAND flash, is a lot faster and clears when the computer reboots or shuts down.

Usecases

• temporary, fast storage device
  • download drive
  • cache drive

Benefits

• reduces the amount of file system fragmentation
  • reduced wear-and-tear of the physical disk / SSD
  • less junk on the hard drive / SSD
  • less noise and heat from the hard drive

Be aware that the content of a RAM disk is permanently deleted as soon as it is ejected! Only use it as temporary storage!

Software

Windows

I would highly recommend using ImDisk. It’s free, open-source, doesn’t have size limitations and supports saving the ramdisk as a file on the HDD if needed.

OS X

eqfV2JG.png

This will create a 250MB ramdisk, you can change the size by chaning the “512000” value. The size of the disk is based on the number of 512 byte sectors. That means the size in bytes has to be divided by 512. For example to calculate the size parameter of a volume with 4GB, the following formula is used:

TjpIZGb.png

You can also create a ramdisk with a terminal command, but I’ve been using iRamDisk since it can re-create the ramdisk on boot and use wired memory (can’t be written to HDD if the system runs out of memory, so no cache files will never be written my boot drive.

I did not include Linux in this post. Sorry about this, but I do not feel like telling somebody to do something that I haven’t done myself nor have any experience with.

My personal setup (OS X, hackintosh)
When booting, my computer creates a 256MB and ~500MB ramdisks, one for browser cache and one for temp files and browser downloads. The browser cache directory is symbolicly linked to the cache storage directory, which will "redirect" the files to the ramdisk, instead of saving it on the HDD.

Symbolic links for browser cache:

For Safari:

ln -s /Volumes/cachedisk ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari

For Chromium:

ln -s /Volumes/cachedisk ~/Library/Caches/Chromium

For Firefox:

ln -s /Volumes/cachedisk ~/Library/Caches/Firefox

Hopefully this was useful for some of you and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Updates:
26-01-2014: added TMPdisk, which I'm currently using.
20-03-2014: Added Automator script for easy ramdisk creation on OS X.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Awesome thread :)

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

excellent

I belive linus did a video on this once, refering to it might be a good addition.
otherwise nice job!

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I belive linus did a video on this once, refering to it might be a good addition.

otherwise nice job!

Linus only used the AMD Radeon Ramdisk, which isn't that great piece of a software, is paid and only allows a single ramdisk at once. He also demonstrated the ramdisk by installing software and games to it, which is a quite impractical usecase for it.

The video by Linus:

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

• 6 years later...

ImDisk link is autoblocked by malwarebytes as a trojan

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission