Laptop for 3D animation student

Hi, I am starting out a degree in 3D animation and my old Vaio is breaking apart (literally the back of the screen cracked on the hinge when I opened it last time) so I was looking for a replacement either, in the 1400$ to 1600$ (In CND$ mind you) for a decent quad core with over 8Gb RAM, or more (around 2k) for a full aluminium, slim laptop with same specs but hopefully longer lifetime. So which should I go for and do you have any suggestion as to which is best a cheaper laptop that does the job or a premium one for longevity. I still have 3 years to do in university and it is purely for this purpose that I'm buying a laptop I barely game at all.
I already looked one google and found this one :
MSI GE62 Apache-276 : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152903

MSI GS60 and 70 are very slim and have great specs for the price

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, Aksii said:

Hi, I am starting out a degree in 3D animation and my old Vaio is breaking apart (literally the back of the screen

Sure you aren't better off with a more powerful desktop and smaller cheaper netbook like laptop for carrying around?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

i'm gonna pitch an idea here, but it'll only work when you have a decent internet link between college and home:

get a lighter laptop (or fix up your old one, its what i've been doing whith my samsung)
get a beast of a renderding workstation (in comparison to the kind of laptop you'd be able to get) and set that at home to do the numbercrunching.

avantages:
- dont have to carry around a tank of a laptop
- dont need to keep the laptop up and running during rendering
- dont have the noise of your laptop crunching numbers

disadvantages:
- need a decent link home
- no link = no rendering
- if you need a new laptop you'll have to cut corners to fit the budget

37 minutes ago, Aksii said:

snip

Here's something to consider. Eurocom is Canadian btw.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,340,0)ec

The config I would pick out. The config's price is 1567 CAD.

Capture.thumb.PNG.3232014176cbfc8aa3af8a

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Thanks for all the replies. For the performance I know I'd be better off with a tower but I doubt I can get both a desktop and a laptop (it is beyond repair) with 1600$. Thank for the eurocom suggestion I'll definitely check it out.