What got you into PCs?

threadysparrow

I just wanted to share this with you guys and ask for your guys' semi-nice comments. I know I have given bad advice on here once or twice especially with that 120 FPS article (even though your eyes will never tell the difference between 120Hz and 240 Hz and if so, it is because of the placebo effect) but I am trying to learn PCs better.

This is what got me into PCs. About 5 years ago I bought an HP Pavilion Elite and it was nice. It did everything I wanted it to. But then about 3 weeks after the warranty expired, the 1 TB HDD broke. I didn't know what was wrong with the computer so I called HP tech support and told them what error code I was getting. They said that the SMART system on the HDD reported a problem and that I would need a new HDD. They said that they could send me the HDD with Windows on it for $499.99 because you know, $500 is too much so why not 1 cent less. They said that I would need to take it to an authorized repair store and they would charge me an additional fee to open the PC and put the HDD in there. I said to myself, "There are children who build computers, surely I can learn how to replace a hard drive." So basically I learned how to partition and format an HDD and I used my recovery CDs to put Windows on. I paid $100 for the 1 TB HDD (this was 4 years ago) and the rest is history. I am now getting an IT degree in networking so hopefully, if I keep learning stuff this quickly, I will be able to connect an ethernet cable to a router in about 5-10 years, and in about 20 years, I will learn what this thing called Wifi is that the kids seem to like so much.

What got you all into PCs?

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I jailbroke my ipod 1st gen back in like '07, that was the first thing that actually got me looking into more than just browsing the web. Eventually I got into PC gaming and then needed a better PC so I got into hardware as well. I think it all started from that ipod :D

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

My dad is a networkings engineer and my mom is a industry programmer, so I was pretty much forced to like computers from the beginning

My dad has some sort of degree in programming or something like that. I have never been too big on programming. I took an intro Visual Basic class in high school and I had a bad experience with the teacher being a hard ass and expecting me to know these high level math equations so for a while I just gave up on computers. Then a few years ago I finally aquired enough money to actually get into the hardware aspect of computers.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I jailbroke my ipod 1st gen back in like '07, that was the first thing that actually got me looking into more than just browsing the web. Eventually I got into PC gaming and then needed a better PC so I got into hardware as well. I think it all started from that ipod :D

I never jailbroke my iphone because I depend on it so much for communication and if anything happens to it then I am screwed.

Short answer: I grew up in the 90s.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

My papa was a big IT nerd, and one of the first 500 that got internet in my country and he was also a avid programmer as he is a musician and he did not think that there was a suitable media player so he made his own. Sadly it was lost from a headcrash on his hard drive. His interest in IT made me a huge nerd and since I am diagnosed with autism I has been hooked on it forever since.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

My papa was a big IT nerd, and one of the first 500 that got internet in my country and he was also a avid programmer as he is a musician and he did not think that there was a suitable media player so he made his own. Sadly it was lost from a headcrash on his hard drive. His interest in IT made me a huge nerd and since I am diagnosed with autism I has been hooked on it forever since.

I have Bipolar disorder and ADHD and social skills for me have always been hard. That might actually say something about computers if people with autism and other psychiatric stuff find them easy to utilize. My mom's friend has a son who has severe autism (like he can barely do anything himself and he only makes noises) and he finds it very easy to use a computer.

i always used to take apart shit when i was like 6, and i always liked wires and lights. now i like cpus and gpu's!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

When my prebuilt computer didn't perform high enough to what I needed to play games with.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I was 6 years old when I took apart my old (then new) Pentium 2 computer, and was caught by my dad. Instead of yelling at me he laughed and proceeded to teach me about what I was looking at.

I remember I had the hard drive and the cd drive out, but he caught me before I could do any real damage.

16 years later I work in an IT department and love PC gaming.

The End.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

I have an Uncle in the Electronics Industry. He gave me a computer when I was about 10. In the beginning I just figured out that I liked using them. I have an engineers mind (Read: I like taking things apart and putting them back together.)

So eventually I ended up taking it apart. That was the beginning.

Over time I researched more and more and learned more and more.

So that's me.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I wanted to know how it works. So a bit like Wackyalex.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

All the friends I made when I first moved to this country were all into computers.  Also helped that I was a gamer already.  The two just seemed to mesh well together back then when said friends introduced me to the world of PC gaming like Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, and Warcraft.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I needed a faster computer that wasn't my costco pre-built. 

My friend who has a Cosmos 1000 showed me his rig and offered to help me build a computer.

Slowly but quickly, my interest in computers and tech snowballed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

When I was a little kid(6 or so) I started to build stuff with k'nex, mostly rollercoasters. At some point i started to wonder what other people around the world were building out of k'nex, so I googled it. It has never been very popular in germany unfortunatly, so everything I found were english websites. I had my older sister translate it for me at first, but after a few months I could understand the most important words, so I could go on my first own adventures thru the interwebs.

At some point I found a cool forum where people post pictures and videos of their roller coasters. I wasn't an active user at first, i just looked at the pictures and videos, they inspired me to build a lot more ^^

After some time I created an account there and seeked help for a more complex project of mine, my first forum post EVER was written.

Before I got active on that forum though, I made a youtube account, back in I think 2007, because I wanted to comment on some roller coaster videos really badly. I uploaded my first video in 2008, it was really bad.. like really really bad, looking back at it i am quiet ashamed, but I'll keep it up for nostalgic reasons and stuff. My last roller coaster related video (till today) was posted in 2010, at which point school and gaming became more dominant in my life.

My love for rollercoasters took me to rollercoaster tycoon and from that I became a PC-gamer.

I still have all the k'nex, maybe I'll build again sometime, it sure was great fun.

If you are interested, in my yt channel or the forum, feel free to PM me, I am here at least once per day ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I always liked taking stuff apart, and I found a few guys on YouTube that talk about computers. I found Marques Brownlee from me wanting to put an SSD in my Mac and I found Linus, Logan (TekSyndicate) and Austin Evans when I wanted to build a gaming computer.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I was always into tech, and when one of my friends started playing steam so did I. one thing led to another and i'm typing off the rig that i built! It was one of the best things I have ever done!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

started as a networking grunt just wire pulling and from that I was just around computers a lot more then got into the hardware. The thing that topped it off and got me hooked on pc's longterm was my first mmorpg experience which was a pc only thing. From that over a decade later I Learned things on my own a long with taking comp tia classes at the local collage. To me pc life is the same as car life..always fun to tinker with it and see how you can make it better.

Always was fascinated with computers and photography 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

What got me you into PC's?

u knew..

pc's... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:P

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

got fed up with consoles so built a gaming pc, then changed case and watercooled it. Then got into modding and built my current build.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I was a console gamer (yes, had just a PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360). After having Xbox 360 for over a year, I begun to move towards PCs for some reason, suggested for my friends to do the same. We all had in mind getting more powerful PCs and selling our consoles. Ironically I brought my friends to PC gaming, but I was the last person to get a decent machine (and also the only one who payed for it with own money. It was a slow process. since I was the poorest person of the group). I suggested my friends to get enough knowledge on PCs, so they could build their new machines. However, only I actually built a PC, the rest of my friends bought just pre-built PCs (still by specs, better than mine).

What happened to those friends now: they got into LoL, I wasn't interested of it at all, got kicked out. I'm still a friend of them, but I don't get to play games with them, just because I don't like LoL.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Family members who were in the industry got me access to free stuff through companies that either threw things out or went out of business.

In high school most of the students didn't even know how to turn on a computer, so I was part of a small group that started the first computer lab in my school.