Are my temps OK?

finnjaeger

Hi I am running a i7 5820K @4.2 Ghz on all cores. The system is stable.

Idle Temps are around 35°C 

Load Temps (rendering with After Effects) it goes up to 80°C (Package)

I am running a huge air cooler tower (thermalright macho something).

Are those temps ok or should I upgrade to something like a H90? (I have a Define R5, I dont want to put a h110i or something in the top for silence reasons, and I could mount a 140mm Radiator to where the rear exhaust fan is at.

Other components : 64Gb/Ram , AMD R9 390X(slight oc)(Ordered a 980ti). Blackmagic Decklink 4K. LSI Raid controlle, and a fibrechannel NIC  as well as 8x6Tb SAS HDDs  in Raid 0, 4 intel nvme ssds in Raid 0 and nvme M.2  SSD

Motherboard is the Asus X99-E WS, Powersupply is a corsair 1200W.

Thank you!

What voltage are you running at on your 5820K? Also, I'm not sure the H90 would be a huge uprgade, I would suggest the NZXT X41 over the H90, since the X41 has a thicker radiator that would yield better performance.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

80 degrees is higher than I would personally feel comfortable it being it at, however it not to the point that it would damage the cpu.

I mean, a CPU can go up to 100 before it kicks back the core clock. 80°C is in my opinion a little high but it depends on you. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

They're safe. If you want silence, a H90 isn't the way to go. Something like a Dark Rock Pro 3 or NH-D15 with low RPM fans would be good for performance and low noise, but aren't really needed. 

You aren't really going to see an increase in cooling performance with a 120/140mm AIO.. If you don't want to step it up to something with a bigger rad I would stick with one of the better air coolers.. Something like the NH-D14/15 performs pretty much on par with the 240mm AIO coolers

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

1 hour ago, Interfectorem said:

What voltage are you running at on your 5820K? Also, I'm not sure the H90 would be a huge uprgade, I would suggest the NZXT X41 over the H90, since the X41 has a thicker radiator that would yield better performance.

do you mean the Vcore?  I just used the built in OC utillity really... :D   I rather have higher temps/more voltage than risk stability issues (its a workstation after all) 

51 minutes ago, finnjaeger said:

do you mean the Vcore?  I just used the built in OC utillity really... :D   I rather have higher temps/more voltage than risk stability issues (its a workstation after all) 

There's you problem. Software based auto-OC software's are known to bring up the heat. Its still under danger level which for me is 85C. But I would take my time on OC than deal with the heat.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Goood to know, do you have anything on the theory of overclocking X99 Cpus? I dont need anything like "click on the button here" but rather something along the lines of "Rais the Vcore until xxx then raise multiplier until xxx  or something? (I can read science ;) 

3 hours ago, finnjaeger said:

Goood to know, do you have anything on the theory of overclocking X99 Cpus? I dont need anything like "click on the button here" but rather something along the lines of "Rais the Vcore until xxx then raise multiplier until xxx  or something? (I can read science ;) 

I would set the VCore to 1.3v and the Multiplier on All-Core to 42 (4.2 GHz) or 43 (4.3 GHz). See if that's stable and/or brings down temperatures.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

6 hours ago, finnjaeger said:

Like any other oc, lower voltage when possible while retaining stability. If you just want 4.2ghz, start there with 1.25v and test it with lower voltages.
Those temps are fine. You're good up to 90c at load.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Update:

Thank you all so much for your input.

I decided to take a look inside my case again,  and I figured I totally messed up installing my CPU cooler.... not only was the fan on the wrong side, but the fan mounting metal things where installed upside down, and the whole cooler was facing the wrong direction, so I couldn´t have messed this up more..  Thats also why my cooler was hanging over the first PCI-E slot.

Anyways I took everything apart, applied a new layer of thermal paste, while I was at it I moved the GPU to the first slot, so x16 speeds now, Then I Installed 2 BeQuiet 14mm PWM fans. (before I had a crazy loud 2K RPM BeQuiet 12mm in the sidepanel as well as the built in 14mm from fractal in the back, I moved the fractal from the back to the bottom of the case, but I might just disconnect it, I don´t really need more airflow, I still have 2x 14mm fans in the front. 

Guess what, even without touching my OC settings (4.2Ghz@1.25V stable). My Temps dropped to 71°C at max load. 

This happens when you are a mac user for 8 years....   You get stupid at even basic tasks, like installing a cpu heatsink..  My last pc before that was a pentium 4  and I hacked the living hell out of that one  ;-)