new vulnerability discovered on Android devices with KitKat and Mediatek hardware

zMeul

source: http://www.androidauthority.com/mediatek-bug-kitkat-vulnerable-670448/

Although MediaTek is downplaying the effects, it seems a software bug has created a vulnerability on Android devices running Android 4.4 KitKat. Exploits taking advantage of the vulnerability could gain root access to the device, brick the phone, or spy on communications. MediaTek has confirmed that the bug exists and they say their security team is working to come up with solutions.

The bug was pointed out by security researcher Justin Case, who tweeted about the vulnerability’s existence earlier this month. Today MediaTek acknowledged that the potential for malicious exploits was real. The Taiwan-based chipmaker says that the vulnerability is the result of smartphone manufacturers failing to follow their instruction to disable the debug feature before shipping the smartphones. The company did not release the names of the manufacturers responsible, and as a result, we don’t know for sure which device models this bug affects.

CYlA6opW8AALSvT.png

KitKat you say, how bad can it be? it's not like it dominates the Android market share, riiight!?

oh .. how wrong you'd be: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

cGHdLPP.png

Android phone manufacturers ... plague I tell you, fucking plague  -_-

to note, not all KitKats are with Mediatek silicon

marketshare.png

(can't find more recent data on Mediatek's market share)

Justin Case? Just in case.... heh.

Wtf though.. that's a lot of devices potentially in danger.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Good thing android is updated automatically to the newest version by Google. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

And how many of that 36% have a mediatek Soc?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

marketshare.png

(can't find more recent data on Mediatek's market share)

apple????

edit: nvm includes all smartphones not just android

I bought my $100 phone for half price and loved it. So there is now a catch to it as well? (I was comparing it to a baytrail based tablet, so I found out the CPU specs for it).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL