[Random Question] How Much of a Difference?

WunderWuffle
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

To clarify everything.

The different resistance model of these headphones will sound abit different.

Resistance just affects how hard they are to drive.

Amps delivery amps (amperage) and volts, resistance is basically how much the voltage is lowered by the load.

Voltage = Amperage * Resistance

Higher resistance with the same amperage gives you more volts.

Putting 600 ohm headphones on an amp for 250 would probably result in low listening levels or next to no sound.

Resistance doesn't affect sound quality, but the same headphones with different resistance will give you different sound properties.

I dont know much about audio, so Im going to ask this question.

Will you hear a difference between 250 Ohms, and 600 Ohms with an Asus Xonar Essence STX?

Beyerdynamics DT990

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

don't even know if the STX can power a 600 ohm headphone

I dont even know if it can...  :blink:

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Will you hear a difference between 250 Ohms, and 600 Ohms with an Asus Xonar Essence STX?

Beyerdynamics DT990

You should, if the company isn't lying about it's impedance^^

don't even know if the STX can power a 600 ohm headphone

It says it in it's specs that it can.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

How much of a difference will it make in gaming? Is it like going from a TN monitor to an IPS monitor in color accuracy?

How much of a difference will it make in gaming? Is it like going from a TN monitor to an IPS monitor in color accuracy?

I don't know man, all i know is that you have a 600Ohm Headset/Headphones and the sound card should max it out. The difference should be there. I remember going from 30 Ohm to 150Ohm, the difference is HUGE! The bass, the overall sound it's amazing!

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

pretty sure the main difference is how much power you need to drive it

The difference should be there.going from 30 Ohm to 150Ohm, the difference is HUGE! The bass, the overall sound it's amazing!

I like the sound of that... You see what I did there? :P

imo, I would get a dedicated headphone amp if you are driving such a high ohm headphones

imo, I would get a dedicated headphone amp if you are driving such a high ohm headphones

If the soundcard can drive the headphones, what is the point of an amp?

better amplification, why do you think high-end dedicated amps exist?

better amplification, why do you think high-end dedicated amps exist?

Good point.

In for the fat cat and the rainbow thrower uper and a thing that lives in the tresh

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

That is not a cat! :)

Well it is now!

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Beyerdynamics DT990

Only if the headphones are designed differently, which they aren't.  It's all about the impedance matching, and both are good matches for the STX.

The soundcard IS an amp, if usually a fairly bad one.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Wow guys, stop guessing.

There is a difference in sound between the various Beyerdynamic models of the "same" headphone, but which you'll prefer is up to your personal preference. Beyer tries to tune them to sound the same, so I'd doubt you'll actually hear a difference in any case.

More ohms != better. It's just a matter of applying more voltage to reach a particular power level (aka volume) on higher ohm'd headphones. The reason low ohm headphones exist is because of the Walkman and iPod - battery powered devices have limited voltages they can supply.

There are other electrical characteristics of higher impedance drivers that can be related to sound output...    but I am not feeling inteligent enough to explain them and it is not neccesary,

Listen to Shearme what he said sums it up adequatley.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Guys, please don't guess on this kind of stuff. It's kind of like your mechanic guessing what the problem is on your car, it's not good for everyone involved. If you don't know, google it, or wait till someone else who does, posts.

Higher resistance will not give you a better sound quality and only when the amp struggles to output the power at the required impedance will a lower level of resistance be beneficial. Resistance is just down to driver design and if you select the right amplifier for your system, it won't make a difference to sound quality if you've got 64 ohm or 600.

For those headphones as they're 600 Ohm headphones then you'll want a soundcard that will manage to output the required wattage at 600Ohms. 

Higher resistance will not give you a better sound quality and only when the amp struggles to output the power at the required impedance will a lower level of resistance be beneficial. Resistance is just down to driver design and if you select the right amplifier for your system, it won't make a difference to sound quality if you've got 64 ohm or 600.

For those headphones as they're 600 Ohm headphones then you'll want a soundcard that will manage to output the required wattage at 600Ohms.

so you're saying that if you have a sound card that can only output 250 ohm, you will not hear a difference between 250 and 600 ohms?

so you're saying that if you have a sound card that can only output 250 ohm, you will not hear a difference between 250 and 600 ohms?

Sound cards don't output ohms. If they say they can drive "up to 250 ohm headphones" then they just wont get as loud on 600 ohm headphones.

To clarify everything.

The different resistance model of these headphones will sound abit different.

Resistance just affects how hard they are to drive.

Amps delivery amps (amperage) and volts, resistance is basically how much the voltage is lowered by the load.

Voltage = Amperage * Resistance

Higher resistance with the same amperage gives you more volts.

Putting 600 ohm headphones on an amp for 250 would probably result in low listening levels or next to no sound.

Resistance doesn't affect sound quality, but the same headphones with different resistance will give you different sound properties.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

with high end, high impedance audio gear I'd rather compare it to fine wines instead

when you get into high end stuff every wine you pick will be good and give a good experience on its own, sure.

but when you get into the high end stuff the art is in the pairings with other high end equipment just like with wine do you match the 92 merlot with that well aged steak you picked up or wait till later to open it when you prepare that roast or just go with the usual bordeaux I have with the roast

for the 600 ohm headphone you are looking at you might benefit from the added "flavor" that a tube amp or the other amps these gentlemen are recommending. I'm not versed with the stx but it may be a bit cold for the use at hand.