[Random Question] How Much of a Difference?

WunderWuffle
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

To clarify everything.

The different resistance model of these headphones will sound abit different.

Resistance just affects how hard they are to drive.

Amps delivery amps (amperage) and volts, resistance is basically how much the voltage is lowered by the load.

Voltage = Amperage * Resistance

Higher resistance with the same amperage gives you more volts.

Putting 600 ohm headphones on an amp for 250 would probably result in low listening levels or next to no sound.

Resistance doesn't affect sound quality, but the same headphones with different resistance will give you different sound properties.

with high end, high impedance audio gear I'd rather compare it to fine wines instead

when you get into high end stuff every wine you pick will be good and give a good experience on its own, sure.

but when you get into the high end stuff the art is in the pairings with other high end equipment just like with wine do you match the 92 merlot with that well aged steak you picked up or wait till later to open it when you prepare that roast or just go with the usual bordeaux I have with the roast

for the 600 ohm headphone you are looking at you might benefit from the added "flavor" that a tube amp or the other amps these gentlemen are recommending. I'm not versed with the stx but it may be a bit cold for the use at hand. 

Amazing analogy.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.