Questions for Josh from Fractal Design for the Livestream on March1st

Jrjy3

are you guys planning on making a case that could hold two ATX motherboards?

Is the Define R5 coming out anytime soon, and if so can i kill you if it has better features than my R4 (more radiator support anyone ?)

Ill definitley be looking to sell my R4 and get an R5 if it has better rad support and maybe one or two unknown kickass features.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

I want to know when the arc midi r2 will be released in the US aside from NCIX, because their policies prohibit me from ordering from them? I am super disappointed right now... I have had no responses from Fractal or anywhere on the net aside from March...

Will Fractal ever make silent cases with larger fans? 200mm fans on the front would be nice.

The best front panel port placement is the top of the front panel (550D). It's good for leaving your case on the floor or right next to you. No one uses ODDs so why not?

Why don't you guys put the 120mm fan mounts closer to the side panel on the Arc Midi but not on the R4? We need silent cases with better radiator support!

Do Fractal cases work better on IKEA furniture?
Everything works better on IKEA furniture.

Do Fractal cases work better on IKEA furniture?
Well, I can say some things do not work better on cheap IKEA beds but I won't go into details.....

Budget water-cooling case? I'm thinking a case with filtered intakes that has plenty of space for radiators (280mm+). A case with one or none optical drive bays, minimal HDD bays, no fans or fan controller included (for cost) and just radiator space with silent running in mind.

I have a few questions

1. I know the Corsair H100/H100i fit on the front mount of the R4, but will the Swiftech H220 fit on the front due to the reservoir? I know it fits on top, but I'm curious for the front, I want to keep the modu-vents on top to keep the case quiet.

2. Will Fractal Design, design a newer silent case with built in card readers?

3. In the R4, you can mount a couple of SSDs on the back of the motherboard tray. But you have to screw it in first before you screw in the motherboard. Which makes it a pain to change out SSDs later. Will Fractal Design make it easier like other case manufacturers, and make it so you screw the SSDs onto a bracket, and hang that bracket on the rear of the motherboard tray instead?

4. How long does it typically take to design a case, go through prototypes, and finally decide on the final design?

nice thing about the h220 is you dont have to use that rad if it wont fit and you can replace the tubing

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

i have a define r3 and node 304 and my biggest gripe about both is the fact that removing or putting in a hard drive is a nightmare, on the define r3 there are 8 screws to remove a hard drive, on the node 304 there are 11 screws to remove for one hard drive and all of the cases that are on the market right now require screws for both 5.25" bays and hard drives. do you plan on going tool-less for your entire range of products?

the node 304 has one major flaw and that is power supply lengths when there is a graphics card installed, you can almost count the number of power supplies that are compatible with your fingers and toes, for the revision 2 are you planning on having less of a power supply restriction?

also i would really really like to see some internal or external hot swap bays. i pretty much cannot put my side panels back on in both of my cases because i have to connect a hard drive or something because external solutions just dont quite do it for me, but i am working on an esata solution. i am planning on doing a 240mm radiator mod on the node 304 here pretty soon. here is a review on the node 304 that i wrote near the beginning of the forums:

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/member-reviews/7083-fractal-node-304-mini-itx-review

basically everything that is good and bad about the node 304 is in this review and you could almost build a revision 2 just by what i have stated

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Is it possible to buy an extra hard drive cage for the define XL? This would be awesome for server builds so we could fit drives in the fan position in addition to the stock position. I don't own one at this point but would buy for my server if i could fit 12 drives before sticking them in the 5.25 bays. Thanks!

Are you guys ever going to release a REALLY high end case, like the one you see in the 200-300 range? After getting my R3 I don't think i could go for anything else and would love to use a higher end case from you guys in a future build. Even my friends have been converting over after checking out my R3.

Not really a question but...

Please fix the sticky power button on Fractal Design R4 and the god damn screws. Cannot remove bottom hard drive tray because screws were too tight and the power needed ended up ruining the screw.

Good Morning...

i have a define r3 and node 304 and my biggest gripe about both is the fact that removing or putting in a hard drive is a nightmare, on the define r3 there are 8 screws to remove a hard drive, on the node 304 there are 11 screws to remove for one hard drive and all of the cases that are on the market right now require screws for both 5.25" bays and hard drives. do you plan on going tool-less for your entire range of products?

the node 304 has one major flaw and that is power supply lengths when there is a graphics card installed, you can almost count the number of power supplies that are compatible with your fingers and toes, for the revision 2 are you planning on having less of a power supply restriction?

also i would really really like to see some internal or external hot swap bays. i pretty much cannot put my side panels back on in both of my cases because i have to connect a hard drive or something because external solutions just dont quite do it for me, but i am working on an esata solution. i am planning on doing a 240mm radiator mod on the node 304 here pretty soon. here is a review on the node 304 that i wrote near the beginning of the forums:

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/member-reviews/7083-fractal-node-304-mini-itx-review

basically everything that is good and bad about the node 304 is in this review and you could almost build a revision 2 just by what i have stated

How did you use 8 screws for a single hard drive? I have an R4, which have the same sleds for hard drives, and I only use 4 screws, which screw in very easily?

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Not really a question but...

Please fix the sticky power button on Fractal Design R4 and the god damn screws. Cannot remove bottom hard drive tray because screws were too tight and the power needed ended up ruining the screw.

Yeah! Fire that gorilla that screws down the HDD cages!

Out of curiosity, why would you want to put two systems in the same case?

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Will Fractal Design create new versions of the Core 1000 and the Arc Mini?

Hi Josh, thanks for coming and letting us nerd perv @ you :)

Given the ... discussion about the Swiftech H220 and the fan issue Linus and Slick seem to have uncovered, how do you decide when to include such things as fans, sound dampening, fan controllers etc... and exclude them so us customers can choose our own and not have to rip out the included stuff and leave them gathering dust or simply taking the option away from us?

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Two systems in one case saves space.

One for gaming which usually means windoze.

One for Linux which is great for productivity/coding or a folding system.

With two systems in one case they can share the same watercooling loop, so go OTT with rads and when one's running it can be inaudible and quiet ish with both.

I could go on, but hopefully that's sufficient.

P.S Synergy would also make using them both a cinch, especially when they crack drag and drop.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Will fractal be releasing an arc mini and midi r2 anytime soon?

What are your thoughts about matx and itx becoming more of the norm now?

Will fractal release anything along the lines of the NCASE M1 prototype?

Josh, why are Fractal Design products not available in Hong Kong?

Has fractal ever thought of making a rackmount server chassis? A small one that could fit into a home networking rack would be nice. Make it pretty Josh! I love you and I want you babies.

PS: Will Fractal be getting into the all in one chassis market now that thin micro itx form factor is a thing for us enthusiasts!

Have you thought about adding any of those Hide-away Ssd mounting places behind the motherboard or other various places in your Cases? Such as in this Haf Xm (first case I found in google image search)

I usually need these because I need all the space I can to fit in those Rads

post-8012-13667861907969_thumb.jpg

post-8012-13667861907969_thumb.jpg

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

What is the biggest mistake you have done to your computer?