Folding with bad vram

Is it possible to fold on a gpu that has bad vram? Would there be any side effects to doing so?

I have a 770 that was artifacting and sent it to evga. They said its the ram and that they cant repair it. So I am curious if I can just turn it into a folding card.

Blarg

I don't get how F@H would need VRAM (other than the GUI).

If the folding is occurring on the GPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I thought it would only use the core?

Data still needs to be stored. I can't verify it now because I'm at work, but when I get home, I'll verify it on my 660 Ti.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Data still needs to be stored. I can't verify it now because I'm at work, but when I get home, I'll verify it on my 660 Ti.

Oh ok. I was previous set on believing that only video frames were stored there...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Try downclocking the shit out of the vram ? Maybe that will help ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Oh ok. I was previous set on believing that only video frames were stored there...

With my 980ti that is folding right now. Idle is 215MB and when I resume folding it moves to 342MB and the memory clock speeds jump up as well. This is all according to precisionx16.

18362aa0c0.jpg

Blarg

VRAM isn't really that important to folding, in that a 2GB card won't really perform any better than a 4GB card, folding wise. But, as mentioned, you still need enough to load all the data in. Best bet, load the card and try. Most likely if it isn't going to work it will fail right off as there isn't enough VRAM. But, might just work, esp if this is a second card in a system without even any displays hooked up to it.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

VRAM isn't really that important to folding, in that a 2GB card won't really perform any better than a 4GB card, folding wise. But, as mentioned, you still need enough to load all the data in. Best bet, load the card and try. Most likely if it isn't going to work it will fail right off as there isn't enough VRAM. But, might just work, esp if this is a second card in a system without even any displays hooked up to it.

Having it as a second card is the plan. I will give it a try when I get the card back.

Blarg

Having it as a second card is the plan. I will give it a try when I get the card back.

I know that my r9 270x I bought dead from ebay would talk to the PC, but the whole system would hard-crash as soon as the GPU tried to compute something, like F@H or even plugging in a monitor. So I reflowed the videoram and GPU die with my hot air rework station, and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

But it begs the question, which was bad on mine, the VRAM or GPU die?