Newegg counter-sues patent troll. Rekt again.

Guest Kloaked

Original article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/newegg-sues-patent-troll-that-dropped-its-case/

"They started the litigation, and it would be irresponsible to not finish it."

You guys remember this post about Newegg threatening a patent troll with their lawyer? The patent troll dropped their case, but Newegg isn't letting it go. 

Here's a picture of the gloriously beautiful man who's suing Minero Digital on behalf of Newegg:

texas.newegg.travel-640x784.jpg

I'd tap that if you know what I mean.

A patent-holding company called Minero Digital seeks to exact royalty payments on a wide range of USB hubs, suing more than two dozen retailers and manufacturers last year. But the "non-practicing entity" dropped its East Texas lawsuit against Newegg subsidiary Rosewill within days of getting a call from the company's lawyer.

This, boys, is what a patent troll is. Not an active company who's protecting their patents that they rightfully own (as broken as the patent system is).

Newegg Chief Legal Officer Lee Cheng says the move is necessary since Minero dismissed its Texas lawsuit without prejudice, meaning it can refile the case at a time of its choosing.

While Mr. Cheng says the truth, I do believe they're doing everyone a service here. If and when Newegg wins this lawsuit, I do hope this leads to other companies not taking it from the garage door and fight these companies who don't actually do anything. 

In my opinion, it should be illegal to do something like this: being an actual patent troll company - not making any product but only sues companies that do actively sell products.

Speaking of patent trolls...

jk no ad today. I couldn't get a sponsor for this post that wouldn't offend someone. :)

If only other companies would do this or sue the patent's troll to bankruptcy. 

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Good patent trolls should disappear and fade away

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Spacing of your post is really odd. Your post also looks creepy with the dude's picture and your comments. I'm glad that Newegg is doing this, but your post is just really odd and creepy.  :unsure:

EDIT: Actually, spacing might not be a problem, but I really hate all that empty space you put there.

Spacing of your post is really odd. Your post also looks creepy with the dude's picture and your comments. I'm glad that Newegg is doing this, but your post is just really odd and creepy. :unsure:

EDIT: Actually, spacing might not be a problem, but I really hate all that empty space you put there.

If you mean the space at the bottom, it was intentional. I was gonna put a parody advertisement there.

If you mean the spacing between the actual content, it's just easier to read for me personally. I hate text sections being so close to each other. Idk why.

actually, patent trolling IS borderline illegal in the US. Its just really hard to prove the company holding the pattent is out purely to damage other companies, rather then protect their own interests.

If it was illegal at all this wouldn't happen. I say that because it's not hard to prove a company doesn't actually use their patents and just sue other companies for infringement.

If it was illegal at all this wouldn't happen. I say that because it's not hard to prove a company doesn't actually use their patents and just sue other companies for infringement.

again, it boils down to technicalities and "ifs and buts".... nothing else.

You have every right to legally pursue anyone infringing on a patent. But to prove that someone is sueing out of spite rather then out of protecting interests. Well, it litterally requires you to make a lawyer say "well, we're just doing this for the money". Rather then the lawyer repeating that well known "we are simply looking out for our own property" line.

again, it boils down to technicalities and "ifs and buts".... nothing else.

You have every right to legally pursue anyone infringing on a patent. But to prove that someone is sueing out of spite rather then out of protecting interests. Well, it litterally requires you to make a lawyer say "well, we're just doing this for the money". Rather then the lawyer repeating that well known "we are simply looking out for our own property" line.

Yeah well that's why I said it's not illegal. I was technically speaking when I say it shouldn't be too hard to prove a company does nothing but parent troll.

If you don't use your patents they should just become public property.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Just a heads up, Newegg isn't actually going to really lay the smack down.  In a few other articles I read, basically, the counter-suit just means that the patent troll simply has to file something saying they can't come after Newegg again for anything involving this.  This is because the original suit was dismissed without prejudice, which means that basically everything simply stopped, but the troll company could potentially file the suit again later if they wanted.  This counter-suit will prevent that.

Just a heads up, Newegg isn't actually going to really lay the smack down.  In a few other articles I read, basically, the counter-suit just means that the patent troll simply has to file something saying they can't come after Newegg again for anything involving this.  This is because the original suit was dismissed without prejudice, which means that basically everything simply stopped, but the troll company could potentially file the suit again later if they wanted.  This counter-suit will prevent that.

It's more than most companies do. I also noted it in the second quote.

speaking of trolling

SQUARESPACE

do you want to troll your friends with quality

choose from their thousands of troll ready templates

squarespace

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

speaking of trolling

SQUARESPACE

do you want to troll your friends with quality

choose from their thousands of troll ready templates

squarespace

I gotta figure out something else to get some giggle snorts. The parody advertisement might become a dead horse. Ha.

It's more than most companies do. I also noted it in the second quote.

Ahh, well, fine.  Just show the whole class that I didn't read the entire post. 

But I do agree that it is good Newegg is doing this.

This is the most Texas like picture I have ever seen.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 1/29/2016 at 11:32 AM, Castdeath97 said:

This is the most Texas like picture I have ever seen.

I could post some amazing pictures from Texas, but I don't want to promote the stereotypes about my people ha ha.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury