Question: GTX 970 or a GTX 960

IOSIRUS

I have a pc with a r9 270x in it currently. Recent events have me thinking that the graphics card may be dying (bsod, bad textures, frequent game crashes, etc). I'm hoping that I can replace it relatively soon with a new card. Would it be beneficial to get a gtx 960/960 ti (when released), or a gtx 970. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I've had bad experiences with AMD and would like to stay clear of their graphics cards. 

I really like video editing and production as well as gaming, and would like a powerful enough graphics card to do this. 

Thank you. 

Edit:

PSU: EVGA NEX 750 B

CPU: FX 8320 3.5 Ghz

MOBO: ASROCK 970 Extreme R2.0

GPU: XFX R9 270X 2Gb

PSU? Rest of build? Oh, the 960ti will never be released, especially with Pascal coming out the summer.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

If you want Nvidia, get the GTX 970. It's better price/performance wise than a GTX 960 which is not worth getting at all. It's also significantly faster.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

If you can afford it then go with the 970.
Since you got some bad experiences then I won't insist getting the AMD equivalent which is the R9 390 (I still recommend it though). :D

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

The 970 is enormously more powerful than the 960, it's more in line with two 960s in SLI. The 960 was one of the most disappointing gpus in recent history. The 970 was one of the most exciting (though I think it's overpriced now).

I would look into the 380 and 390

both more powerful and both (usually) cheaper

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Get the best gpu you can afford at the time you are upgrading.  If you can hack the 970, it's a great video card.  I'll vouch for that, I've had mine for over a year now and I think I'll be happy with it for a while to come still.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

do you read

Yes

im telling him to give it one more shot

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.