Uber is tracking its drivers to see if they're speeding or braking too hard

matheislmarek

When did Mexico become Detroit 

. /s

Its not that bad over here lol. as long as you don't go to the wrong street and watch your back.  :P

wtf "check if they are joining protests" that is none of their business i mean if the driver does it when driving a customer that would be weird and sure but if its in their off time then its a violation of their privacy and what do they do with the information sell it to the chinese government? isnt uber a american company? that is a very unamerican thing to do

wtf "check if they are joining protests" that is none of their business i mean if the driver does it when driving a customer that would be weird and sure but if its in their off time then its a violation of their privacy and what do they do with the information sell it to the chinese government? isnt uber a american company? that is a very unamerican thing to do

^this bothers me. This is what I dislike about the "internet of things". Both your employer, and the government can tack everything they do, in case they need to use it against you. (not that they actively do that NOW, but they could at some point. And even if they did, good luck proving that they did it.)

Its not that bad over here lol. as long as you don't go to the wrong street and watch your back.  :P

Oh, so it's like Detroit, Chicago, LA, or NYC.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Of course its Ubers business, they are responsible for employing Uber drivers and ensuring the safety of the passanger and the everything done is legal

I dont really see an issue with a company monitoring its own drivers

LOTS of companies already do this - as long as its done within the drivers contact and not secretly then its absolutely fine, for example mail vans are often speed monitored (source: know somebody who delivered for Royal Mail)

Of course this, but you'll never win this argument here. These kids have no idea how the real world works. 

Of course this, but you'll never win this argument here. These kids have no idea how the real world works. 

An employer has no right to monitor what an employee does in their off time (if that is what Uber is doing). The only exception is for employees of the federal and state government.

An employer has no right to monitor what an employee does in their off time (if that is what Uber is doing). The only exception is for employees of the federal and state government.

They are monitoring to see if they are speeding or breaking too hard. Completely relevant to their job. 

They are monitoring to see if they are speeding or breaking too hard. Completely relevant to their job. 

"At the time it was designed to track whether any drivers were attending protests in the city of Hangzhou,"

"At the time it was designed to track whether any drivers were attending protests in the city of Hangzhou,"

That's China, not here. Things are different in China. 

That's China, not here. Things are different in China. 

The most I think we can say is "we have no proof that Uber is doing the same thing elsewhere".

Although I'm willing to bet that the NSA is trying to get a back door into Uber, if they haven't already.

tinfoil hatting intensifies

It's China. You could hit me with literally any headline and I would believe you as long as you preface it by saying it's in China.

This is a worryingly true fact, also works for North Korea too

that is a very unamerican thing to do

Never understood this phrase, its an ideology that doesnt actually exist 

Mate I will win every argument with my manly charms and not funny jokes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Uber drivers in the UK are scary...

I had one the other day continuously ask me which lane he needed to be in and where he should be turning. I said to him "You have a GPS on your phone, its telling you where to go" and he just looked at me with a blank expression in his rear view mirror. I left him a 2 star rating saying "Driver kept asking me where he should be going and which lanes he needed to be driving in".

Think i'll stick to the slightly more expensive taxi driver in the future... or the bus. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The company also has rights and freedom, the right to monitor their drivers and the freedom to put it into the drivers contract

You have the rights and freedom to refuse it and find another job

Rights only work when everyone has them - hence they do not work

companies have rights cuz they are people too!