Worst part of being a techie when you are on school/home etc

I guess many of you have been annoyed by your friends or mom/dad that needed your help for like their phone not turning on or your friend telling you how to freaking open Word on the school PC and asking you how to change the letter size or color etc...I would like to know  some of your funny stories related to that, if you can put the funny factor to that shit :| , also if this has already been posted sorry,tell a moderator remove this.

>fix pc 

>person screws up pc 6 weeks later

>"it's because of what you did that one day"

No truer words have ever been spoken. 

/thread lol

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Happened, a lot, not only to my friends PC but when I "fixed" my PC myself when I was younger and it broke again after some time it was my fault...

I think this ones different 

No it's not. It's the exact same thing.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

No it's not. It's the exact same thing.

No, different (Let's start another thread to debate this!) xD

That thread is about overall exp. with peasants, this is specially the worst part of being the family IT guy.

>fix pc 

>person screws up pc 6 weeks later

>"it's because of what you did that one day"

preach. Whenever someone plays that card with me I just agree with them (so they don't ask me for help again) and tell them "go to geek squad and have them fix it for you for $300 then!" Always shuts them up

This has pushed to new heights after x-mas with all the young people in my family thinking it would be sweet/smart to get tablets and other tech for the parents/old people. MY GAWD! I never thought I would be asked "Can you install windows" (on android, or other non window devices) that many times in my life! 

I officially told my family from Nov.30-Feb 1 I will not answer any tech questions for them without a consultation fee lol

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

It sucks when there is an issue, i know i how to fix it, but as i am a student they wont trust me to fix the problem. Even though i have installed about 2/5 of all computers on the third floor of my high school. I was also the first responder to all network issues. Sigh.

>be me

>before i had my own pc, i would use the family one a lot

>restart pc

>screen stays blank, hard drive is kaput, not spinning anymore.

>spend whole afternoon trying to fix it.

>parents get home.

> i put the defective laptop away

>no one uses it

> luck.jpg

>at night, i go downstairs, stealthy as fuck trying too repair it

>go back to bed

>wake up in the morning

>pc still doesn't turn on.

>parents not happy

>hide from dad, who will probably kill me for this (convinced i did it)

> i convince my mom i didn't do it

>she talks to my dad

> rma's computer

> we use 9 year old pentium m centrino laptop as a daily driver for a month

>laptop comes back

>hdd was dead

>no apologies.jpg

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Some how anything not related to what I've fixed or future problems has to be your fault.

*Like removing viruses has some how cause their washing machine to stop working.

*Fixed computer (say clean install), a few months later, calls and blames on you, saying you did not fix their computer.

Never fix computers for free

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/ten-reasons-not-to-fix-computers-for-free/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

When people say " My phone has a virus! " because an ad says so.

I hate those ads. I had one while browsing the Assassins Creed wiki that opened a new tab. Wasn't impressed

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Being the one at school who teachers turn to for help with computers. The amount of pressure on you is unreal lol

Whenever teachers had trouble with their computers, my classmates would ask me to help. I'd just sit there laughing away to myself. Much more fun watching them struggle.

Whenever teachers had trouble with their computers, my classmates would ask me to help. I'd just sit there laughing away to myself. Much more fun watching them struggle.

That too! :P

My neighbour once changed the tv to a different input and needed me to fix it. This wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't explained just what had happened and how to get it back to the right only for her to come back with the same exact problem a week later.

Same neighbour also was complaining about not having internet on her iPad only to find out she had turned off wifi in the settings.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Have to fix the school computers all the time...

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Yes! That's how it's done! And then Sherlock army arrives - "did you tried turning it on and off again?" "Maybe the the monitor is broken." "I think there is a problem in the server" "It says you need to update adobe reader".

At my school no one ever turned up to fix it. There are still some things that were broken in 2008