Radiator with no fans

So I plan to build myself a computer with 5820k and then later water cool it with closed loop.

Case's gonna be Zalman Z12 (I plan to get something bigger later) and on top there are two positions for 120mm fans. So my question is if I can mount radiator with no fans on it but rather four intake fans (1 back, 1 bottom, 2 front).

"Where will you ram so much RAM?"

Most likely isn't going to work without a big radiator.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Sure, you can do it, but the temperatures won't be great. It's like having a large CPU heatsink and not having fans-air won't go through and the heat will just kind of "sit there". I'd really recommend getting air directly through/out of the radiator.

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed off topic content

So to make it clear the question is if I should buy good air cooler or get somewhat-passive watercooler.

Sure, you can do it, but the temperatures won't be great. It's like having a large CPU heatsink and not having fans-air won't go through and the heat will just kind of "sit there". I'd really recommend getting air directly through/out of the radiator.

So I plan to build myself a computer with 5820k and then later water cool it with closed loop.

Case's gonna be Zalman Z12 (I plan to get something bigger later) and on top there are two positions for 120mm fans. So my question is if I can mount radiator with no fans on it but rather four intake fans (1 back, 1 bottom, 2 front).

It could be done with a lot of air flow from the case fans.... But the temps will be awful and there is guarantee it will even keep it cool enough after sometime because of heat soak!! Get a air cooler for cheap like a hyper 212 evo and save water cooling for the bigger case, by all means buy that parts just keep them safe till u get new case and spend £25 extra on a 212 evo!! 

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed off topic content

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Get an air cooler. Most AIO coolers are overkill anyway. Your CPU is relatively new so I can't imagine it getting that hot. You wont need 4.0ghz for gaming anytime soon. 

Really it depends on your use. If you want to OC for video rendering or something, it will be okay to run at 80 degrees while you're doing that every now andthen.

But for gaming you can slap a stock cooler on that sucker and never OC and you won't experience bottlenecking. 

If you have it already, test it. If not, and you know you definitely want to go liquid, start with an average air cooler (<$35 USD), and then upgrade from there.  But I honestly recommend a good air cooler if you're not willing to go custom liquid. 

Side note, a closed loop cooler with no fans won't cut it, as the fin density of typical CLCs won't allow enough air to pass through (too much resistance). If you were using a silence optimized radiator for a custom loop (low FPI), I'd say go for it, but tape up any vents that would allow air to escape more easily, so you can force the air to "leak" out of your case through the radiator.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Get an air cooler. Most AIO coolers are overkill anyway. Your CPU is relatively new so I can't imagine it getting that hot. You wont need 4.0ghz for gaming anytime soon. 

Really it depends on your use. If you want to OC for video rendering or something, it will be okay to run at 80 degrees while you're doing that every now andthen.

But for gaming you can slap a stock cooler on that sucker and never OC and you won't experience bottlenecking. 

It could be done with a lot of air flow from the case fans.... But the temps will be awful and there is guarantee it will even keep it cool enough after sometime because of heat soak!! Get a air cooler for cheap like a hyper 212 evo and save water cooling for the bigger case, by all means buy that parts just keep them safe till u get new case and spend £25 extra on a 212 evo!!

I'm actually planning on buying evo 212+. I don't really plan to OC much soon, but I will probably use somewhat-intensive CPU apps like Autodesk and Blender. And also gaming.

I'm actually planning on buying evo 212+. I don't really plan to OC much soon, but I will probably use somewhat-intensive CPU apps like Autodesk and Blender. And also gaming.

Well the evo will just be quieter and a fair bit cooler than the stock one!!! perfect for what u need a AIO is probably very overkill for u 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

That's what I have. I haven't even OC'd my 4690k yet. But I plan to once it become a bottleneck to squeeze a few more years/months out of my CPU. 

Well the evo will just be quieter and a fair bit cooler than the stock one!!! perfect for what u need a AIO is probably very overkill for u 

That's what I have. I haven't even OC'd my 4690k yet. But I plan to once it become a bottleneck to squeeze a few more years/months out of my CPU. 

Well thanks for help guys. Have a good day.