Your personal approach to "Future Proofing"

LinusTech

I'm just curious to hear from the community about this.

I used to use the "buy used from someone who got buyer's remorse, then sell it when something new is about to come out" strategy for years before I became a reviewer, but how does everyone else stay on top of the latest tech?

Or do you just not worry about it and "drive your system into the ground" so to speak then replace it with something all new?

Do you pay extra for more headroom for the future, or do you buy what you need at the time and assume that upgrading later will be a better option than overspending today?

Hi Linus C:

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

As an enthusiast I like to be on the cutting edge! So definitely upgrade every year on my part, pretty much in every tech department.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I pay extra for headroom on Power supplies CONSTANTLY. I really just want to help out a person in the future. I like seeing the customers and clients have an opportunity when they have to make onje finacial step to upgrade and realizing that they need to make another payment for power.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Hi Linus, post-2255-0-44037300-1378320592.gif to forum! 

Seriously, i will buy new parts about every 3rd gen.(if needed) and i will sell my old parts after that. :)

If i want to future proof i will spend more and wait for next gen before buying. #waiting for maxwell

I buy what I need at the time and upgrade later.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I try to get the best bang/buck and get a decent proccessor, so in 2 years i only have to upgrade my GPU

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

When it comes to GPUs, I replace every two years.

When it comes to CPUs, I replace ever 2 to 5 years, depending on the performance improvement and such.

When I do upgrade, it's usually top of the line since it's the closest to future proofing as possible until it's not as powerful anymore.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I try to buy with some future proof in mind so that my computer doesn't become obsolete very soon and then try to do some minor updates until it stops working completely

I'm just curious to hear from the community about this.

I used to use the "buy used from someone who got buyer's remorse, then sell it when something new is about to come out" strategy for years before I became a reviewer, but how does everyone else stay on top of the latest tech?

Or do you just not worry about it and "drive your system into the ground" so to speak then replace it with something all new?

Do you pay extra for more headroom for the future, or do you buy what you need at the time and assume that upgrading later will be a better option than overspending today?

do you trust "second hand" electronics? I always doubt what happend to it, and why they want to get rid of it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

i buy new parts when i need to and when i actually can

btw: hi linus

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I think I'm good to play any game release for the next couple of years with my current setup, unless of course something crazy like ANOTHER version of DirectX is developed or whatnot. >_>

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Buy the best you can at the time and upgrade when you can't do anything anymore

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I wait to see how the next gen components perform, I got an 8350 after the 4th gen Intel processors were released because I didn't think the performance was worth a new motherboard and processor, only got my gpu 3 months ago but am looking into getting a 9000 series card if they perform as rumored,

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I just buy some parts that fit my budget, and use them until it becomes very hard to play modern games. Then it's time. Future proofing isn't something I care a lot about, as long as I can play a game on 1080p.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I buy what I need at the time. And I always end up regretting it later on. I should have spent a little more and got a TX750 instead of a 650 for example. So now I'll need to upgrade my PSU before I can crossfire.. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

As an enthusiast I like to be on the cutting edge! So definitely upgrade every year on my part, pretty much in every tech department.

You can tell by looking at your signature xD

congratz, awesome specs!

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

You can tell by looking at your signature xD

congratz, awesome specs!

Thanks man!

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Not even intel i first gen hasn`t hit that. so....i don`t know.gfx card every 2-3 years.

i guess im technically on my first build though some of my old parts got burnt out so i had to replace them. i guess ill go about replacing everything once i feel like its not performing to the standard that i require. i have a pretty beast system right now and dont see myself changing anything for a while

oh so this was what u were talking about at the steelseries booth, and i had a question that i forgot to asked u. so u sell ur gpu before the new one comes out right? but then u dont have a gpu to use >.< do u ended up without gpu for weeks till the new one comes out or what?

I'm the type of person that will run my rig until something dies before upgrading because of financial circumstances, generally I'll replace that component if it's say a HDD but if I've saved up enough money I'll buy a new CPU, motherboard, GPU. Maybe not the top spec for the current generation but a nice upgrade none the less :P If I was super rich I'd love to upgrade hardware on a yearly basis but I don't see that happening :( 

Linus has a way of making popular topics :D

c7de348e751064c94ae8aa33af236798.png

Buy decent stuff, but don't overspend. Buy something you know will last rather than something which his of terrible quality. Same with everything really :)

Compatible with Windows 95