So I was rather bored this morning and had a machine on hand that had rampant overheating problems. I decided to remedy this with some stuff I had lying around the house and the end result works surprisingly well considering what it is. No leaks....yet.

My temps went from 190+ to sub 100 with this setup. This machine is by no means good, just an experiment if anything, specs are as follows: 

AMD Phenom x4 9850 Black Edition @2.5GHz

8GB DDR2 800MHz

ASUS M4A785-M motherboard

Random crap mechanical drive running Windows 7 x64

post-306001-0-21297600-1453398758.jpg

post-306001-0-69749600-1453398760.jpg

post-306001-0-00419600-1453398760.jpg

post-306001-0-24031600-1453398759.jpg

What do you guys think?

What do I think?? OMG MY EYES!

It would give me crippling anxiety to have to look at that. 

Did you cut the heatpipes? Because if you did, they're now just copper tubes.

I thought that was the point, with the pump an all

He pretty much made an AIO, but instead of a pump/CPU block, he has a rad/CPU block combo.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

It's magnificent. Screw water blocks, just run heats sinks with water :D I saw 190+ and was very confused until my brain clicked over to Farenheight.

Check me out on World of Tanks: Sargent_Horse

Rainbow Six Siege: Sargent Horse

It was just an old heatsink I had lying around and decided to see if this was something that would work out of curiosity. Yes the pipes are cut open and I am aware that they don't work unless sealed. The whole point of this was just to experiment.

But I opened up the heat pipes and looped them in series and hooked up a pump just using what is left of the heatsink as a sort of radiator and it works surprisingly well. 

Not a bad experiment to use a garbage computer for, I would never dream of doing this to a computer that was actually useful.

good idea(i guess)

I mean, hey, if you have the stuff lying around and the time to do it (took me about an hour) then why not? I certainly had fun making it.

I mean, hey, if you have the stuff lying around and the time to do it (took me about an hour) then why not? I certainly had fun making it.

ctually it does perform better than why not ? :D and thoose pipes are actually thin than a copper or a nikel(does it matter ?its all copper anyway) block and yea you need more room for it and wow you are such creative xD i ver would get a idea of cutting heatpipes and what did they do when you cutted??? i allways wonder WHATS ACTUALLY INSIDE xD(not theoretically i know tht thoo but i wanna se it :D

yeah, having fun is the important part.

ctually it does perform better than why not ? :D and thoose pipes are actually thin than a copper or a nikel(does it matter ?its all copper anyway) block and yea you need more room for it and wow you are such creative xD i ver would get a idea of cutting heatpipes and what did they do when you cutted??? i allways wonder WHATS ACTUALLY INSIDE xD(not theoretically i know tht thoo but i wanna se it :D

There wasn't actually anything in them, that I could see. They were pressurized though. When I cut them the pipes closed up a little bit but since its copper nothing a small flat head screwdriver and some twisting cant fix. The pipes make direct contact with the CPU and what im guessing is an aluminium block is on top of them for some thermal mass.

There wasn't actually anything in them, that I could see. They were pressurized though. When I cut them the pipes closed up a little bit but since its copper nothing a small flat head screwdriver and some twisting cant fix. The pipes make direct contact with the CPU and what im guessing is an aluminium block is on top of them for some thermal mass.

ou...wel i just forget to say that i have a direct heatpipe conection to my cpu but ...WHO CARES :D well acually i did know that tere is a kinda of gas in just wonder is it did a could(not litelary ) when you depresurised it (you know whatim talking about (i hope))

ou...wel i just forget to say that i have a direct heatpipe conection to my cpu but ...WHO CARES :D well acually i did know that tere is a kinda of gas in just wonder is it did a could(not litelary ) when you depresurised it (you know whatim talking about (i hope))

It's a very light pressure, only a few PSI and I cut it cold so I really didn't notice anything. Hot would be a totally different story though, thermal expansion and whatnot.

It's a very light pressure, only a few PSI and I cut it cold so I really didn't notice anything. Hot would be a totally different story though, thermal expansion and whatnot.

yeaht thats true... I did release some freon from old fridges just for fun INSTANT CLOUD FROM DECOMPRESSION xD its also possible with air just need more pressure and let it cool for a whyle(physics)

What do you guys think?

what does the fan do for temperatures? fast speed, slow speed, no speed?

what does the fan do for temperatures? fast speed, slow speed, no speed?

It's spinning at about 1800 RPM, from what I'm able to tell, only having run it for a few hours so far, it keeps the temperature of the water in check so it wont go over 30C

It's spinning at about 1800 RPM, from what I'm able to tell, only having run it for a few hours so far, it keeps the temperature of the water in check so it wont go over 30C

Hey its actually a good way to overclock :D

Hey its actually a good way to overclock :D

Haven't OC'd it yet. I'm letting it run for a while to see if it's going to leak, so far it hasn't and with the pressure this pump makes I don't think it's going to any time soon. That will be the next step in this and I'll let everyone know how it preforms. 

Haven't OC'd it yet. I'm letting it run for a while to see if it's going to leak, so far it hasn't and with the pressure this pump makes I don't think it's going to any time soon. That will be the next step in this and I'll let everyone know how it preforms. 

wel...if you never want to take of thoose tubes than just silicon glue them and its gona take forever to start leak (IF its tics to aliminium/copper/plastics