What video games do you play?

robotica34

Hi!

I have to conduct a survey for my English homework, so I thought I'd go to the Off Topic section of LTT and ask you :P I'd be grateful if you could answer these questions:

1. Are you interested in video games? If not, why not?

2. Do you play video games? Why (not)?

3. How much time a week (roughly) do you spend playing video games? (if you don't, skip this question)

4. What genres of video games are you interested in / do you play? E.g. FPS, MOBA, Casual, MMORPG, Adventure...

5. Do you think that video games can negatively affect a person's future?

Thanks a lot!

1. Yeah, not as much as I used to

2. Yeah

3. A lot, at least 15

4. Rhythm and FPS

5. As long as they're not stupid, no

1. yes

2. yes

3. depends. sometimes about 4 hours and sometimes more like 14 hours

4. FPS, adventure, RPG and platformers (Examples would be Bioshock, Skyrim, Pokemon and Sonic Generations)

5. Yes. But they can also affect is positively 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1. Yes, I am.

2. I still do.

3. 5-10 hours

4. Mostly RPG and MMORPG (or other games with RPG elements)

5. No, if they don't cause addiction.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

1. I develop games. Make of that what you will.

2. Absolutely.

3. Given what I do, it's taken a bit of a dip as of late. Even then, I don't know how many hours a week I play them.

4. Pretty much anything, so long as it's not a MOBA, or particualrly competitive. Apart from Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

5. It's dependent on the person, not the medium. A book could negatively affect someone's perception of the world, but it isn't the fault of the book. Its purpose is to be read; the person who read it is at fault for practicing what the book doesn't even really preach.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

1. Yeah, not as much as I used to

2. Yeah

3. A lot, at least 15

4. Rhythm and FPS

5. As long as they're not stupid, no

1. yes

2. yes

3. depends. sometimes about 4 hours and sometimes more like 14 hours

4. FPS, adventure, RPG and platformers (Examples would be Bioshock, Skyrim, Pokemon and Sonic Generations)

5. Yes. But they can also affect is positively 

1. Yes, I am.

2. I still do.

3. 5-10 hours

4. Mostly RPG and MMORPG (or other games with RPG elements)

5. No, if they don't cause addiction.

1. Yes.
  2. When I can. I have exams soon so the teachers are piling on the homework
  3. 4 hours-ish
  4. Mostly FPS and Driving games
  5. Yes it they spend too much time playing them instead of doing stuff that will benefit them in life.

Thanks a lot! Would you mind expanding on the 2nd question and tell me why you play or don't play video games?

Hi!

I have to conduct a survey for my English homework, so I thought I'd go to the Off Topic section of LTT and ask you :P I'd be grateful if you could answer these questions:

3. How much time a week (roughly) do you spend playing video games? (if you don't, skip this question)

4. What genres of video games are you interested in / do you play? E.g. FPS, MOBA, Casual, MMORPG, Adventure...

Thanks a lot!

Yes.

Yes. Great way to relax and unwind, and gives me an excuse to own a beastly PC :P

About two to two and a half hours a day.

FPS, open world, puzzle, driving and casual.

Possibly if you don't do any other stuff. In healthy amounts I think they can be really fun and they only start to negatively affect life when addiction sets in.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1. yes

2. yes, they are the most entertaining thing I can do in my free time.

3. Idk 10hr a week min

4. FPS, RPG, Racer ,RTS, platformers, hack'n slash, Action adventure

5. Only people whom are easy to manipulate already (dumb people mostly)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1. Yes, I am

2.I play them every day

3.18 hours

4. Almost everything exept moba (I hate them, oh and fifa and everything new from black ops 2 `till now, with COD)

5. I think it`s very timeconsuming and takes away social abbilities, but gives mathematical advantages.

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Thanks a lot! Would you mind expanding on the 2nd question and tell me why you play or don't play video games?

just a lot of fun, to be able to create your own stuff inside of a computer, it also greatly shuts you off from the world

to game or not to game, that`s the question

To relax and isolate myself from the outer world. :D

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

1. Are you interested in video games? If not, why not? Yes.

2. Do you play video games? Why (not)? Yes. A lot. Its a good way to releive stress and enter a whole new dimension of fun!

3. How much time a week (roughly) do you spend playing video games? (if you don't, skip this question) 10-15 hours

4. What genres of video games are you interested in / do you play? E.g. FPS, MOBA, Casual, MMORPG, Adventure... Casual, FPS, RPG.

5. Do you think that video games can negatively affect a person's future? Yes. If they prioratise gaming over work and real life things.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

1) yes

2) yes, because its relaxing after work and i prefer it before any social interaction (like seriously, ppl are stupid nowadays) im talking with enough people at work, i just want some time for myself

3) 60+ Hours... work hard/play hard, lol

4) RPG>FPS>Adventure>everything else

5) well if youre stupid and skip school/your job to play games of course.. otherwise.. nah

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

I play video games because I enjoy experiencing new things, I enjoy getting good at something and finding out the best way to play a game.

It's also a lot of fun to play games to get inspiration for my own programming and designing stuff.

When I achieve something big in a video game it feels just as satisfying as achieving something in real life

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i'm interested in video games, both for the fun aspect, for thinking about the gameplay elements, and for the backend stuff that goes into it.

play them a lot, its mostly for relaxing and disconnecting from reality for a while.

depends, sometimes i dont game for months, other times i literally play the entire day straight.

everything. i dont pick games by genre, i pick games that genuinely interest me, for the 3 reasons mentioned in Q1: they need to be fun, the gameplay must offer something interesting, and the backend has to have had some thought into it. (so no shitty ports for me)

it always depends on the person, sadly theres a lot of unstabile people who have access to violent games, and cannot cut a line between game and reality. but for a healthy individual that can draw that line, and make limits to themselves to not end up like the "WoW player" in south park, games grant the ability to relax in a way the individual can still exercise their brain and reflexes.

PS: for those who dont know said south park episode:

south-park-s10e08c05-the-slaughter-16x9.

Hi!

Thanks a lot!

1. Aye

2.Yes, it's a time waste, could probably do something productive instead.

3.I'm not answering this out of embarrassment and the fact that I don't record my time.

4. Grand strategy, FPS.

5. If you are not careful and dragged down into it, then yes, but otherwise, no.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

1. Yes i like video games.

2. I do play them everyday, i like computers, especially building gaming ones. Think it's great to put something together that you can then push games to their limits with.

3.Around 30 hours per week of game time.

4.I play almost all genres of games, but here are my current favorites and my current most played: Battlefront, Battlefield hardline, Fallout 4, Spintires, Project cars, GTA V.

And finally the important one;

5.Video games can definitely become addicting, if a person is in a rough life situation video games provide a sense of accomplishment, be it passing levels and advancing through a game or destroying 11 year olds in COD. If a person gets hooked onto games, it can definitely have a bad effect just as any other addiction. But i do believe that it's up to people to figure this out for themselves. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

Hi!

Thanks a lot!

Hi!

Thanks a lot!

-YES

-YES

-About 20hrs total

-Mostly FPS, racing and sports game

-NO, absolutely not...unless you play too much to the point where you can't do the other stuff you should be doing as well like work or studying for example...if you do it in your ''real'' free time, then it's fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1. Yes, I think everyone on this website is

2. yeah, because they are fun

3. idk, since school started not that much and I'm really busy over the weekend 

4. casual, Sandbox, Open World, FPS sorta (not really)

5. well this is a very debatable, A few years ago there was this kid that shot and killed his mom because she took away his xbox (he played alot of COD) then the news outlets started to blame activation and stuff. also when GTA V came out there was a lot of controversy over if parents should buy this game for their kids because of how "real and open world" and "do what ever you want". Anyways I personally do not think that video games can effect someone negatively because its mostly the people not the games without getting too political it is like the mass shootings in a way were there are some people that are mentally unstable and do stupid stuff and people blame it on what they used and what they did. Like i've played way too much GTA V in the past 2 years i've had it and I have never wanted to go out and get in cop chases and kill people.

Tldr: No they don't effect people negatively 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Hi!

Thanks a lot!

1) Yes, I am lurking some communities.

2) Yes, I do, mostly to get away from everyone/relieve stress.

3) About 12-16 hours per week.

4) FPS, MOBA's (once in a great while), Adventure, Fast paced RPG's, casual, sandboxes, and some open world games.

5) I would say no. You make lots of friends while playing, you feel as your apart of something, and after all, your using all parts of your brain while playing, so I would see it as a way to benefit people, however, people can get addicted to some video games, which can be bad for some people, but at least it's not as bad as other things to get addicted to, (illegal drugs) etc... It just depends on what kind of person plays, after all, whining, pissing, and moaning about how video games can possibly could be bad for you is not a way to solve the problem.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

1. Yes, I am.

2. Yes, I do. I play games to escape from the real world so to speak, so I can see new places, do things I can't normally do, and better myself.

3. I spend anywhere from 20 to 30 hours a week if I have the time.

4. I play mostly fps (Rainbow Six Siege, CSGO), sci-fi (Eve Online/Warframe), and rts games (Civ 5, Total War, AoE)

5. Certainly, anything when over indulged in can hurt anyones future. If I decided to stop working, and stop going to university to sit around all day and play games, that would very much so hurt my future. Just like anyone else, completely committing yourself to one thing or the other can lead to dire consequences in other areas.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1. Yes, but they are boring.

2. Yes, firestrike.

3. too much, almost 100% of my home time.

4. Synthetic.

5. No, they cannot, unless they have no self control.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

1. Love video games, provide an easy means to be entertained.

2. I play games way too much.

3. 20 hrs + , not proud.

4. Mostly play FPS(CS:GO), love playing Warframe(Third Person) but from time to time I play LoL and Smite (MOBA).

5. They can definitely adversely affect your life if you don't play with moderation.

1. Yes, but they are boring.

2. Yes, firestrike.

3. too much, almost 100% of my home time.

4. Synthetic.

5. No, they cannot, unless they have no self control.

Firestrike? Are there any other games that you play, besides benchmarking software?