AMD FX 8350, worth it?

So the AMD FX 8350 is $160 USD at my local store, and I am wondering if it is actually a good processor. According to CPU Benchmark (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780) it stands up pretty well against Intel CPU's. I would only use it for low to mid gaming, nothing horrendous. Anyone had experience with this CPU? 

Thanks in advance :)

P.S.

Please don't let this be a hate on AMD thread. If you dont like the 8350 tell me why, and if you do like it tell me why.

$250? Does it come with a motherboard?

It's not worth $250. I use it.

Get an i5-4460 if you're just gaming.

I used to be quite active here.

i5 4460 if you can afford it, if not then 8350

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

its is I know someone with one and he likes it. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Having upgraded from the 8320 to an I5, if your gaming, don't touch the thing, the 4460 and a decent mobo will murder it in games. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

What other options do you have in the price range at the store?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I think you'd be better off with an Intel Core i5 6400 if you're just going to lightly game. 

$250? Does it come with a motherboard?

It's not worth $250. I use it.

Get an i5-4460 if you're just gaming.

Is that $250 aud/cad/usd? or are you converting to usd from another currency?

$250 NZD sorry, $160 USD.

So the AMD FX 8350 is $250 at my local store, and I am wondering if it is actually a good processor. According to CPU Benchmark (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780) it sands up pretty well against Intel CPU's. I would only use it for low to mid gaming, nothing horrendous. Anyone had experience with this CPU? 

P.S.

Please don't let this be a hate on AMD thread. If you dont like the 8350 tell me why, and if you do like it tell me why.

An i5 4460 would be better 

I think personally the FX-8350 is the best cpu ever made on this planet.

Your joking right?

In alot of games even i3's pull ahead of the FX cpu's, so consider that when you're buying one. Also you have no upgrade path without buying a new motherboard.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

If you already have a motherboard that supports it then it is a good deal. If you are purchasing a new board with it, I would look at a similarly priced Intel chip. I never had any problems with my 8350, but switched to 4790k in last upgrade cycle as i had never tried Intel until now. 

$250 NZD sorry, $160 USD.

Oh, okay. See what price an i5-4460 or i5-4590 is, those are better gaming CPU's.

i5 4460 if you can afford it, if not then 8350

thats pretty much the deal here, unless you really need dat single threaded performance.

should note an FX8350 requires a motherboard with quite the beefy VRMs, certainly when you want to overclock.

So the AMD FX 8350 is $250 at my local store, and I am wondering if it is actually a good processor. According to CPU Benchmark (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780) it sands up pretty well against Intel CPU's. I would only use it for low to mid gaming, nothing horrendous. Anyone had experience with this CPU? 

P.S.

Passmark gets their performance numbers from users. Not stock for stock. So there are lots of OC'd runs in there. I'd say especially for the 8350. I know I did back when I ran one. Havent once ran passmark since only running i7s. What does that say? Could be nothing. Could be 8350 users running benches to make them feel their cpu is still relevant in comparison. I don't know...

What I do know is that the single threaded performance on the 8350 is lacking compared to any CPUs in the last 3 years even. It is extremely power hungry. Aside from a very few AM3+ mobos, it lacks common modern functionalities that current boards have. Has last gen PCI-e, no sata express, no m.2, usb 3.1/type C, possibly more(?).

With tech making the jump(finally) to 14/16nm, performance is gonna jump up big time. Leaving everything else behind. Don't buy into AM3+ in 2016.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Oh, okay. See what price an i5-4460 or i5-4590 is, those are better gaming CPU's.

thats pretty much the deal here, unless you really need dat single threaded performance.

should note an FX8350 requires a motherboard with quite the beefy VRMs, certainly when you want to overclock.

i5-4460 and i5-4590 are both $70-$80 more expensive, I'm just a schoolboy who cant really afford a lot but I will see what I can do..

i5-4460 and i5-4590 are both $70-$80 more expensive, I'm just a schoolboy who cant really afford a lot but I will see what I can do..

they're more expensive, but you can get away with a cheaper motherboard and stock cooler, resulting in not that much of a price premium.

If it's that much more expensive, the 8350 isn't bad. It's good for the games I play, other than Fallout 4.

they're more expensive, but you can get away with a cheaper motherboard and stock cooler, resulting in not that much of a price premium.

Okay looks like I'm getting an i5. Thanks guys!

If it's that much more expensive, the 8350 isn't bad. It's good for the games I play, other than Fallout 4.

The cheapest mobo was about $130 NZD (CPU was $250 NZD). 

Don't spend more if you can't really afford it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 8350.

Don't spend more if you can't really afford it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 8350.

If I get better price for performance I think I'll go the Intel route, and that saves me money in the future if I need to upgrade

Your joking right?

don't encourage the troll :)

OP, for usually the same price, i5 4460 will do you much better, trust me

even the motherboard for it will be cheaper + you'll need no aftermarket CPU cooler