Pretty positive I was scammed. :(

I recently bought a Logitech G27 of Gumtree (Equivalent to Craigslist) and I am pretty positive I was scammed. The wheel itself I found is broken in some sort of unknown way, the guy who sold it to me had claimed he never really touched the thing he just bought it brand new and didn't use it. 

Upon buying it there was no power supply because he had "Lost it" and so I had bought my own off Amazon, it took a few weeks to arrive. After the power supply had arrived I plugged in and realized the wheel was broken.

I started to look up causes for this and people had suggested the Optical Sensor was broken but I had opened the wheel and the Optical Sensor was fine, but I noticed that there was very visible wear on the wheel and this "Brand New" wheel was not very new.

I tried to contact him but he is not replying even though he is posting new Ads by the day. I think the scam method used was to sell me the wheel with no power supply so I had to buy a new one and wait a while because none are available in Australia, and so when it arrived and I realised the fact that it was broken the Ad had expired and I couldn't report him.

Not very happy right now considering I lost $180 on a wheel that I bought with money I had got for my birthday and I can't sell the wheel because it is broken, nor do I want to scam anyone for it. On the bright side the shifter and pedals work but I guess there is no point now...

Just thought I would share my story so people can look out for this and stay safe from scam and not have to lose money like I did.

Side note: If you want to buy a broken G27 Wheel, hit me up :L

report all his ads

reply to one of his ads and look like your interested in it

meet up 

confront him

or yes legitimately go to the police

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

report all his ads

reply to one of his ads and look like your interested in it

meet up 

confront him

or yes legitimately go to the police

Sadly I am only 14 Years of age and thus "Birthday Money" pretty sure he took advantage of that because there is not much I can do about the situation...

-

i once exposed a scammer on gumtree. there was this Chinese person looking for free items listed on gumtree and then posting an ad of the item, selling it for a couple hundred bucks usually. so he would basically get the buyer to go to the sellers house, pick it up and then deposit the money into his paypall account. hilarity ensued when we confronted him

i once exposed a scammer on gumtree. there was this Chinese person looking for free items listed on gumtree and then posting an ad of the item, selling it for a couple hundred bucks usually. so he would basically get the buyer to go to the sellers house, pick it up and then deposit the money into his paypall account. hilarity ensued when we confronted him

I am not too worried about exposing this guy, all I really want is my money back because well, I want to spend my birthday money on something that works :( R.I.P Bday money.

Report him, contact Gumtree support. 

This is why you don't buy used things without testing them from a site with little buyer protection. 

I've contacted gumtree on the situation, just waiting for a reply (I doubt they will be helpful though :()

Sadly I am only 14 Years of age and thus "Birthday Money" pretty sure he took advantage of that because there is not much I can do about the situation...

I just told you what you can do

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You're probably not going to get the money back then, as you're already in violation of Gumtree's T&C. You have to be 18 to use it legally. 

https://help.gumtree.com.au/knowledgebase.php?article=22

I just told you what you can do

If you are talking about confronting him I am not sure 

You're probably not going to get the money back then, as you're already in violation of Gumtree's T&C. You have to be 18 to use it legally. 

https://help.gumtree.com.au/knowledgebase.php?article=22

Well I don't know if it counts, I have a guardian (my mum lol) and she did the payments and it is her gumtree account...

If you are talking about confronting him I am not sure 

Well I don't know if it counts, I have a guardian (my mum lol) and she did the payments and it is her gumtree account...

Have her do it

Have her do it

As of now all she said is to report him and if I don't get my money back it's my fault because I didn't do enough research into the seller (Fair enough) and she doesn't want to go to the police or confront him because its too much work. 

As of now all she said is to report him and if I don't get my money back it's my fault because I didn't do enough research into the seller (Fair enough) and she doesn't want to go to the police or confront him because its too much work. 

If you dont you let someone scam other people too 

you arent the only person they will scam

If you bought through PayPal you can get your money back through them

If you dont you let someone scam other people too 

you arent the only person they will scam

Fair enough, I'll wait for Gumtree to get back to me on the situation and go from there.

If you bought through PayPal you can get your money back through them

Sadly it was cash only.

How did you pay? Credit card companies and paypal have protection for scammers. It may require contacting police, but hey, one less scammer. No guarantee for getting money back.

As for item itself. I would have been suspicious about lost power adapter on brand new item. I know this may sound harsh, but you learn from each mistake. Like I for buying RAM over market price and getting really pissed about guy threatening me with police involvement because I didn't manage to pick up and pay for package in two days (when limit for that service is two weeks).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How did you pay? Credit card companies and paypal have protection for scammers. It may require contacting police, but hey, one less scammer. No guarantee for getting money back.

As for item itself. I would have been suspicious about lost power adapter on brand new item. I know this may sound harsh, but you learn from each mistake. Like I for buying RAM over market price and getting really pissed about guy threatening me with police involvement because I didn't manage to pick up and pay for package in two days (when limit for that service is two weeks).

I payed in cash as seen above ^ I'll have to see what Gumtree says and if they can remove him and go from there, and hey on the bright side I'm only 14 I guess I got my whole life to buy another steering wheel :) and or find something more fun to do lol

This is why I don't buy used.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Threaten him with something called "small claims court", saying if he didn't refund you now, you'd sue him and then he'd have to pay legal fees and the £180.