Hyperthreading

Is hyperthreading software on the chip or is it something actually on the chip ?

Like split modual kinda think like the fx chips ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Hyper-threading is largely software. The hardware difference between a Core i7 and Core i5(a typical desktop variant) inside the cores is double the registers. But that's it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hyper-threading is largely software. The hardware difference between a Core i7 and Core i5(a typical desktop variant) inside the cores is double the registers. But that's it.

cheers bro

also (1600) 

Windows xp and all newer versions use hyperthreading always.

On certain CPUs, sure, unless it's explicitly disabled in the BIOS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

not what I asked and godly has explained what I wanted to no

also (1600) 

jrp6wz.png

Hyperthreading is detected as extra cores in windows and thats kind of what it does it allow you to run 2 threads instead of one.

It's software? I understood that it was an extra instruction queue. Two threads can make use of different resources (ALU, Load/Store Unit, Floating Point Unit etc.) in the core simultaneously.

It is an implementation of Simultaneous Multithreading, and Intel is not the only chip designer/manufacturer to use it. MIPS cpus, for example, can support up to 4 threads per core.

It's software? I understood that it was an extra instruction queue. Two threads can make use of different resources (ALU, Load/Store Unit, Floating Point Unit etc.) in the core simultaneously.

It is an implementation of Simultaneous Multithreading, and Intel is not the only chip designer/manufacturer to use it. MIPS cpus, for example, can support up to 4 threads per core.

Yes, but it's implemented through software. The microcode tells the board if it supports hyper-threading. The process doesn't indicate the implementation. Threads are done in software.

Yes, but it's implemented through software. The microcode tells the board if it supports hyper-threading. The process doesn't indicate the implementation. Threads are done in software.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. How is it implemented through software? Is there an on-chip microcontroller scheduling the two threads?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. How is it implemented through software? Is there an on-chip microcontroller scheduling the two threads?

The Operating System has to be aware of the hyper-threading function or it doesn't work - it's not a function of the chip that's actually done by the chip. The OS has to schedule the tasks and the program must support the extra threads.

So if it's largely software, you should be able to make a Core i5 a Core i7.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

So if it's largely software, you should be able to make a Core i5 a Core i7.

I guess you could try.

The Operating System has to be aware of the hyper-threading function or it doesn't work - it's not a function of the chip that's actually done by the chip. The OS has to schedule the tasks and the program must support the extra threads.

The OS schedules tasks anyway. A hyperthreaded core tells the OS that it can schedule two tasks at once on that core and the core will be able to handle their contexts concurrently and dispatch their instructions simultaneously. In fact, on a non-hyperthreading aware OS, the core appears as two physical cores able to be scheduled on.

What do you think hyperthreading is exactly?

not what I asked and godly has explained what I wanted to no

I no things, I could tell you them? 

The OS schedules tasks anyway. A hyperthreaded core tells the OS that it can schedule two tasks at once on that core and the core will be able to handle their contexts concurrently and dispatch their instructions simultaneously. In fact, on a non-hyperthreading aware OS, the core appears as two physical cores able to be scheduled on.

What do you think hyperthreading is exactly?

From the Wikipedia article

With HTT, one physical core appears as two processors to the operating system, which can use each core to schedule two processes at once.

In addition to requiring simultaneous multithreading (SMT) support in the operating system, hyper-threading can be properly utilized only with an operating system specifically optimized for it.

Even if the OS has no support for HTT but supports SMT along with the motherboard having support for HTT, that would explain to me why a unaware OS would see the hyper-threaded cores as physical cores. The same information is being reported by the BIOS, but the OS has to interpret it somehow. Given that, Intel recommends HTT be disabled on OSes that do not support HTT.

Wow, I didn't know HT chips have double the registers enabled as their non-HT versions with the same number of physical cores. Not having to store and load registers every single time the core switches the executing thread gives a straightforward explanation of why it can really help in programs with lots of parallelization.

Even if the OS has no support for HTT but supports SMT along with the motherboard having support for HTT, that would explain to me why a unaware OS would see the hyper-threaded cores as physical cores. The same information is being reported by the BIOS, but the OS has to interpret it somehow. Given that, Intel recommends HTT be disabled on OSes that do not support HTT.

But the need for software support doesn't mean you can ignore the hardware. This sounds like saying "A GPU is largely software because you need drivers for it".