Trade my Dual 970's for a single 980 ti?

MVPernula
Go to solution Solved by crystal6tak,

The issue with my SLI setup is mainly noise and heat, no surprise from 970's. So just going from dual to a single GPU will lower the noise and heat. 

With the reference 980 Ti. Heat will be reduced yes, but noise will not.

You'll have to invest more into an aftermarket cooler to lower the noise. The cheapest option being Artic Accelero Xtreme IV/III. The more expensive being Kraken G10 + AIO water cooler. The best but most expensive option being building a custom water loop + getting an block for it.

For your need, the artic accelero xtreme should be plenty enough. They go for around 80 USD. You'll get to overclock the 980 Ti (to performance near SLI 970's) while having very quiet operation.

It'd be a slight downgrade in performance for most titles, but power consumption and heat output will be lower, as well as better compatibility with all titles, better frame buffer for higher resolutions, and better upgrade path.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

What brand?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If you're not losing money, you might as well.

Will be trading them with him.

It's used for 4 months.

lets be real guys, you're decision really just comes down to which one gives you the biggest epeen.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

What brand?

What models are the 970's and 980 Ti?

My 970's are Gigabytre Geforce and his 980 ti is EVGA.

lets be real guys, you're decision really just comes down to which one gives you the biggest epeen.

^

Get an ASIC score from him on the 980ti.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Not asking for brand, the model. Like, Gigabyte wind force? Even then there are multiple variants of it. Like GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD and GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD are both windforce gigabyte cards.

Knowing the models can help us figure out the performance and cooling difference. Also, good that it's EVGA, I heard you can transferred warranty with EVGA. So go research and see what's that all about and how to use it here if you do the trade.

Do it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Not asking for brand, the model. Like, Gigabyte wind force? Even then there are multiple variants of it. Like GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD and GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD are both windforce gigabyte cards.

Knowing the models can help us figure out the performance and cooling difference. Also, good that it's EVGA, I heard you can transferred warranty with EVGA. So go research and see what's that all about and how to use it here if you do the trade.

https://www.komplett.se/product/825299/datorutrustning/grafikkort/pci-express/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-g1-gaming#

These are mine^

https://www.komplett.se/product/845662/datorutrustning/grafikkort/pci-express/evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-6gb-sc

And this is his^

My idea behind all of this is that I want try to make my rig more silent, and my dual 970's are super loud.

A reference...

In default, your dual 970 will completely wreck the 980 Ti. Yours around 25% faster than his. (A non-reference 980 Ti on the other hand will stay fairly close 3-8% behind 970 SLI)

I'd say no. But. Do you have any issues with the 970 SLI? Any heat or noise concerns? Any lingering thoughts to want to switch to a single card? If that's a yes, will you consider adding an aftermarket cooler to the 980 Ti? Such as an Artic Accelero Xtreme IV, Kraken G10 + AIO, or even custom water looping it? If that's a yes too then I say go for it.

If you're not planning to add aftermarket cooling, and just want to get rid of your SLI for some reason, be sure to know you'll have much lower performance. And also a reference card sounds like a jet engine.

A reference...

In default, your dual 970 will completely wreck the 980 Ti. Yours around 25% faster than his. (A non-reference 980 Ti on the other hand will stay fairly close 3-8% behind 970 SLI)

I'd say no. But. Do you have any issues with the 970 SLI? Any heat or noise concerns? Any lingering thoughts to want to switch to a single card? If that's a yes, will you consider adding an aftermarket cooler to the 980 Ti? Such as an Artic Accelero Xtreme IV, Kraken G10 + AIO, or even custom water looping it? If that's a yes too then I say go for it.

If you're not planning to add aftermarket cooling, and just want to get rid of your SLI for some reason, be sure to know you'll have much lower performance. And also a reference card sounds like a jet engine.

The issue with my SLI setup is mainly noise and heat, no surprise from 970's. So just going from dual to a single GPU will lower the noise and heat. 

You'll have to invest more into an aftermarket cooler to lower the noise. The cheapest option being Artic Accelero Xtreme IV/III. The more expensive being Kraken G10 + AIO water cooler. The best but most expensive option being building a custom water loop + getting an block for it.

For your need, the artic accelero xtreme should be plenty enough. They go for around 80 USD. You'll get to overclock the 980 Ti (to performance near SLI 970's) while having very quiet operation.

You'll lose a bit of performance, but you'll lose the problems of an SLI configuration as well.

Yeah but I don't think I'll put so much effort and extra money in cooling it more so going with the reference card is a no in this case then. I really want to lower noise and heat, if heat is lowered I'm happy, but noise is my main concern and I really don't feel like going all in for a cooler.

I'll wait until 980 ti drops in price a bit, perhaps trade my 970 SLI setup for a single 980 ti and buy an addition 980 ti for a beast config later.

Thank you so much for all info, I would most likely have traded my 970's for that 980 ti if I wouldn't known better about it. ^^