Xbox One: Overclocked again, this time the CPU +150Mhz

glutesontheloose

Found another article about this: http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/xbox-one-production-cpu-boost/

But imo I don't think its going to be much of a performance boost from 1.6 to 1.75ghz.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Overclock it to 4 GHz and put a 7970 in there and then I will be impressed.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

>1.7GHz

giggling to myself.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

why do they over clock the thing I can t see it being such a good thing.

I mean over clocking the thing it will overheat/sound like a jet engine.(in your living room) and might cause red rings of death...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

why do they over clock the thing I can t see it being such a good thing.

I mean over clocking the thing it will overheat/sound like a jet engine.(in your living room) and might cause red rings of death...

Well we don't know how much thermal head room they had before.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Are they even overclocking. I thought they underclocked from the start and know are only less underclocking the GPU and CPU if that makes any sense. So really they are still using underclocked hardware.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Are they even overclocking. I thought they underclocked from the start and know are only less underclocking the GPU and CPU if that makes any sense. So really they are still using underclocked hardware.

they have these small bumps because they don't want RROD happening all over again, because these are mass produced, you have to take in consideration that not all these chips are going to bin well, and therefore, you need to have a bump that will work across the board, it's not like an individual PC, it's much more different when it comes to mass production

that picture in the link u sent doesnt look like an xbox one what is it?

I think it is. Its just showed the right side of the console and you could see the reflection on the left side. 

xboxoneroundup_620x200.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/saga/xbox_one/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The PS4's CPU goes all the way up to 2.75Ghz with turbo boost, so while 1.6Ghz to 1.75Ghz base clock doesn't seem like much, it's going to improve turbo clock speeds noticeably.

We don't know the PS4 CPU clockspeed. We also don't know that it has turbo boost. We just know that the FCC document said 'maximum speed of 2.75GHz'.

We don't know the PS4 CPU clockspeed. We also don't know that it has turbo boost. We just know that the FCC document said 'maximum speed of 2.75GHz'.

We know that from the FCC document, maximum speed of 2.75Ghz can't be anything but the turbo clock for the CPU, because the GPU can't go that high.

phones are 2.3Ghz now! hahaha I smell overheating issues already.x O.o

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Well actually what everyone's failing to see is how that 150mhz will scale over the number of cores due to the fact it will have multi-core optimisation so it'll be more like 6-900mhz OC in terms of performance gains.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Well actually what everyone's failing to see is how that 150mhz will scale over the number of cores due to the fact it will have multi-core optimisation so it'll be more like 6-900mhz OC in terms of performance gains.

It doesn't really work like that.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

It doesn't really work like that.

I'm describing it in a perfect world ^_^ in a perfect world it would indeed work like that but seriously :/ clock speed is an exponential growth and it seems people don't really see it like that >_<

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

phones are 2.3Ghz now! hahaha I smell overheating issues already.x O.o

I see what you did there O.o

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

I'm describing it in a perfect world ^_^ in a perfect world it would indeed work like that but seriously :/ clock speed is an exponential growth and it seems people don't really see it like that >_<

But, it's not really. Even in a perfect world where everything could utilize all cores 100% without any drawback whatsoever, a 100% overclock would still not equal a 100% increase in performance, or a 400% increase in performance on a quad core.

Why? Because clock frequency is not the only thing that determines the performance of a CPU.

But, it's not really. Even in a perfect world where everything could utilize all cores 100% without any drawback whatsoever, a 100% overclock would still not equal a 100% increase in performance, or a 400% increase in performance on a quad core.

Why? Because clock frequency is not the only thing that determines the performance of a CPU.

O.o so you're telling me for a task that is 100% cpu bound and doesn't rely on any external factors a 100% overclock would not see a performance increase of the same magnitude?

O.o so you're telling me for a task that is 100% cpu bound and doesn't rely on any external factors a 100% overclock would not see a performance increase of the same magnitude?

Nope it would not. You might see that to a certain degree, but sooner or later you will see a diminishing return from just increasing the clock speed, because you start running into bottlenecks like path prediction, cache, the latency between different components (even different components inside the CPU) doesn't go down just because you overclock and so on.

CPUs are much more complex than that.

Also, Microsoft have implemented some new throttling thing into the Xbone, so I suspect that it was prone to overheating even without this frequency bump.

It's not really an exponential growth either by the way. In the absolute best case scenario, an increase from 1GHz to 1.1GHz would yield exactly the same performance increase as going from 2GHz to 2.1GHz, so frequency is a linear growth and not exponential. Or if we want to be even more correct, it's like a reverse exponential growth because the performance benefit becomes smaller and smaller for each MHz after a certain point.

Or if we want to be even more correct, it's like a reverse exponential growth because the performance benefit becomes smaller and smaller for each MHz after a certain point.

The mathematical term for that is Logarithmic or Asymptotic or both. It's the same reason why SLI doesn't scale well either (adding a second GPU doesn't result in 2x performance or 100% gain).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Wow they're really worried this will fail, aren't they? I doubt a few MegaHurts will make any difference other than more beautiful numbers with no real benefit...