AMD has unveiled 2 Polaris GPUs and will deliver "The most revolutionary jump in performance so far"

AlTech

It means AMD's marketing dept is finally doing its job properly. Marketing and software have been AMD's biggest problem. AMD has a better handle on drivers now and it will be beter going forward by the default of dx12 and other low level APIs requiring more work from the devs themselves than GPU vendors. This is a good 1st step and we'll have to wait and see if their marketing dept see it through to the end.

I'm sorry, but I remmeber when the marketing started right before the nvidia 900 series was released , somewhere in september 2014 ( the Matrix quotes with red and blue pill), which was in fact for a firepro, but they never mentioned it. And after the 900 release they took like 8 months to release he HBM series, BUT , every month they lied to us. First they said mid Q1, then early Q2, then it was end of Q2, but low stocks, so nobody could buy untill july-august. Those aren't very nice tactics.

This is great for SFX builds .. 

Magical Pineapples

I'm sorry, but I remmeber when the marketing started right before the nvidia 900 series was released , somewhere in september 2014 ( the Matrix quotes with red and blue pill), which was in fact for a firepro, but they never mentioned it. And after the 900 release they took like 8 months to release he HBM series, BUT , every month they lied to us. First they said mid Q1, then early Q2, then it was end of Q2, but low stocks, so nobody could buy untill july-august. Those aren't very nice tactics.

they did not expect a high demand

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

Honestly, AMD creating Radeon Technologies Group (aka ATI 2.0) was a great decision. Especially when it's lead by Raja Kodur.

Can't wait for Polaris.

It looks to me like there spliting up the company to make it better fore selling off. AMD could be split between intel and nvidia. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I misunderstood you then.

I think AMD might get a product out first, but I don't think Nvidia will be far behind. I'm not sure how much that'll affect the enthusiast market. That's where you'll find fanboys. I'm certain a lot of people will avoid AMD products and wait on the competition if that's the case.

The problem right now as we speak is how the market has shifted towards energy efficiency and AMD can't compete there. There's also the issue of some titles completely tanking AMD performance, especially on cards below Fiji. These things will make people jump to Nvidia and make people recommend purchasing Nvidia cards. Then there's the fact that very few people go for the top SKU. GTX 970 have very often been recommended as the best purchase and it's (despite issues) is a well deserved spot. Even if a 390 and all related cards can match it in raw performance.

Of course there's also the alleged driver disparity. This is of course mostly an urban myth that just won't die. "mostly" being the keyword. AMD has on occasion been slow to act in regards to drivers for new game releases. But other than that, it's pretty much the same. I mean if AMD drivers suck, then Nvidia drivers at the very least blow.

But that's an entirely different discussion.

Well, a lot of speculation is saying that Nvidia might end up 2q behind. Nvidia not showing any form of a physical pascal chip, is not really making their case any better, meanwhile AMD have one up and running for display.

It has always been the case, that some people dedicated go for a single brand. However, to hit the wider market, they need to get some OEM deals going. This is where I can see AMD taking advantage. In the form of prebuild PCs and laptops.

Well, considering R9 Nano, the rest of the SKUs is running at a very power-hungry frequency, most likely to offer competitive performance.

Remember, that the frequency-powerdraw scale is not linear. However, what AMD showcased, the energy efficiency has greatly increased.

AMD drivers has improved alot. So has Nvidias..

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

It looks to me like there spliting up the company to make it better fore selling off. AMD could be split between intel and nvidia.

I doubt AMD is going to sell it off. It is a way to big deal to its core company and its future.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Uhh, no they didn't. Rumors from WCCF Tech are not the same thing as AMD promising things. Your memory on this issue, just like everyone else, is playing tricks on you. AMD never said any of the things that were floating on the internet during that time.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Uhh, no they didn't. Rumors from WCCF Tech are not the same thing as AMD promising things. Your memory on this issue, just like everyone else, is playing tricks on you. AMD never said any of the things that were floating on the internet during that time.

Its possible.

That's alot of speculation. I highly doubt it.

I believe AMD finally got their shit together and decided letting RTG do their own thing was probably the best course of action for them in the GPU market.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

What makes you say that?

Well a lot of people don't like the 200 and 300 series naming and they started to use Fury and Fury X and Fury Nano in their naming with those products.

And those GPUs are called Polaris 11 and Polaris 10 not Fury X v2 or 490X.

Oh boy did AMD really try to sell us HBM 1.0

Hey it was new! It couldn't OC that much.

Polaris is the architecture

Yeah. previously it was thought that the Architecture was gonna be called Greenland hence why some asked where Greenland was.

Biggest jump in history. good!

Makes me scared of the price tho... I mean if it is a big leap, and it beats everything out there, price could be through the roof...

AMD don't disappoint us, if most of us can't afford it, it doesn't matter how good it is.

I want one, make it possible for me to get one...

Same

AMD already  has the chips. Isn't all there is left to do is ship it to AIB manufacturers (that already has seemed to happen) and start mass production? We could be seeing Polaris as early as March.

Those were early chips. They don't have much. Those are the only ones they have. Mass production will happen probably a few months before release. And they said summer FYI. So probably June.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well a lot of people don't like the 200 and 300 series naming and they started to use Fury and Fury X and Fury Nano in their naming with those products.

And those GPUs are called Polaris 11 and Polaris 10 not Fury X v2 or 490X.

Hey it was new! It couldn't OC that much.

Yeah. previously it was thought that the Architecture was gonna be called Greenland hence why some asked where Greenland was.

Same

Those were early chips. They don't have much. Those are the only ones they have. Mass production will happen probably a few months before release. And they said summer FYI. So probably June.

Traditionally, it would be like this:

The GPUs are based on th GCN gen4 architecture (here: Polaris).

These GPU comprise a chipset family: Arctic Islands.

The individual chipsets of this family each have names: Greenland and Baffin Island for example.

There are two variants of each chipset: Greenland XT (the full one) and Greenland Pro (the cut-down one that had non-functioning shaders or something).

The Greenland XT chip would then be installed on the graphics card with the model number R9 490X.

I'm assuming that "Polaris 11" is the name of the "Fury X" SKU.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

490x - new gpu (I think 200 watt card)

480x- fiji rebrand hbm 2 and 14nm (I think 150 watt card)

470x- 380x rebrand 14nm 384 bit memory (I think 125 watt card)

460x- new gpu ( I think 100 watts or less) 

Yes rebrands were bad in 300 series, but this may not be that bad, 14nm will increase efficiency and cost, so there more like refreshes. I HOPE we dont see hawaii again though 

hawaii was a great architecture. just think what it could do with a die shrink.

It's skipping a couple of nodes so it better be pants-removingly brilliant.

This is the generation I've been waiting for, by cheaping out on GPUs ever since Fermi. (open box GTX 470 for $150 --> open box GTX 760 for $200 --> used R9 290x for $200)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This is the generation I've been waiting for, by cheaping out on GPUs ever since Fermi. (open box GTX 470 for $150 --> open box GTX 760 for $200 --> used R9 290x for $200)

Yeah i, also, plan to buy the flagship on launch too

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Traditionally, it would be like this:

The GPUs are based on th GCN gen4 architecture (here: Polaris).

These GPU comprise a chipset family: Arctic Islands.

The individual chipsets of this family each have names: Greenland and Baffin Island for example.

There are two variants of each chipset: Greenland XT (the full one) and Greenland Pro (the cut-down one that had non-functioning shaders or something).

The Greenland XT chip would then be installed on the graphics card with the model number R9 490X.

I'm assuming that "Polaris 11" is the name of the "Fury X" SKU.

Thanks for basically telling me I'm an idiot.

I know that XT means full part and Pro means cut down.

Great Job.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Holy fuck I can't believe Polaris is so close....

Can't wait to get a flagship Polaris 11 card on my birthday this summer!

Why are they calling it "Polaris 10 & 11", shouldn't they start with 1 and 2?

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Why are they calling it "Polaris 10 & 11", shouldn't they start with 1 and 2?

That would be far too simple.... but it might be to be with build number, 1-9 were experimental designs, these are the final chips maybe?

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

That would be far too simple.... but it might be to be with build number, 1-9 were experimental designs, these are the final chips maybe?

But the news earlier said Polaris is a codename that is to be used in the public, not an internal codename.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

I still believe Fury X was an important release to AMD not only for being a flagship GPU but also as an excersice to see how HBM performs in the real world and hopefully optimize their new cards better.

Cant wait for Polaris tho,

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

I would be impressed if that Polaris 10 demo showing off the low power usage vs. the 950 was using GDDR5 instead of HBM, as the former is significantly more power hungry. 

There does appear to be a huge gap between Polaris 11 and 10.  Hopefully it will be possible to buy a Polaris 11 chip with HBM part without selling a kidney.  The only rebrands that are of any interest to me are the Fury and Fury X. 

This has the makings of a great year in the PC space with the move to 14nm on the graphics side and a new CPU architecture in Zen.  Really looking forward to it.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

The only rebrands that are of any interest to me are the Fury and Fury X.

No rebrands have been announced or even leaked yet.

I just looked at some tables of Nvidias 900 series. It's basically 3 chips covering the entire desktop lineup. GM200, GM204 and GM206. They reuse GM204 in their mobile lineup as well as GM107, which is their first gen Maxwell found in the 750 and 750 Ti. The only exception being the 920M, which is actually a Kepler based chip.

So I don't think it's a stretch to see AMD being able to cover their entire desktop and mobile lineup with 2 or 3 chips, with two obviously being confirmed with Polaris 10 and Polaris 11. We don't know if AMD is working on a third or even fourth chip to launch later in 2016 or perhaps early 2017.

All we know is two chips being planned to launch in mid 2016.

E

I just looked at some tables of Nvidias 900 series. It's basically 3 chips covering the entire desktop lineup. GM200, GM204 and GM206. They reuse GM204 in their mobile lineup as well as GM107, which is their first gen Maxwell found in the 750 and 750 Ti. The only exception being the 920M, which is actually a Kepler based chip.

So I don't think it's a stretch to see AMD being able to cover their entire desktop and mobile lineup with 2 or 3 chips, with two obviously being confirmed with Polaris 10 and Polaris 11. We don't know if AMD is working on a third or even fourth chip to launch later in 2016 or perhaps early 2017.

All we know is two chips being planned to launch in mid 2016.

Exactly. It's the same with Kepler and GCN 1.0

Kepler was - GK100, GK104, GK106 and GK108
GCN was - Tahiti, Cape Verde, Pit Cairn and one more

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6