What does Microsoft use to create Windows?

AlTech

How did they make versions of Windows like Vista,7,8,8.1,10 etc?

What OS did they use?

What software?

What hardware?

@Barnacules Are you allowed to say what MS used while you were working for them? Like software and OS?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If i had to guess maybe some sort of linux type os, but idk

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Just like early computers, everything is done with hard coding.

They literally made every memory cell physically with the data values.(Not now)

NT kernel wise I would assume C/C++ and assembly as and when required. There are so many things that make up the modern Windows OS there is no one language. A lot of the features requires .Net so is not any low level programming language.

Hardware doesn't matter much beyond compile time and it'll be compiled on a server farm in a source controlled process.

It's a combination of Mitsubuishi Evolution III & Soul Calibur coding.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Let me ask MS DOS 1

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think they build on from the latest version.

using what software?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

How did they make versions of Windows like Vista,7,8,8.1,10 etc?

What do you mean versions? They take for example Windows 7, develop a bunch of new stuff, changes some old stuff, bundle it all together and then releases Windows 8.

What OS did they use?

Probably another version of Windows.

What software?

That will probably vary from developer to developer. The one who wrote the code for the settings "app" might have done it in Visual Studio because he likes that, but the one who developed for example parts of the JS engine in Edge might have done so in NotePad++. I don't know how strict Microsoft are with which software you are allowed to use, but I think most people there will use Visual Studio since that's Microsoft's own IDE.

What hardware?

Will vary from developer to developer. I am pretty sure Microsoft has more than one computer.

Windows is not a single program developed by a single person. It is a collection of lots of smaller programs which work together, and those smaller programs are developed by different people.

Usually an OS core is made fully or in part in assembly code. Then the rest in C/C++. This can be done within any other OS.

They probably use gcc to compile the core of the OS, and Visual Studio for the rest.

The hardware they use depends on the target system. ARM based system, for Windows 10 Mobile, and x86-64 for Windows 10 64-bit/32-bit.

The process is the same as for Linux (well Linux doesn't use Visual Studio, of course), but you'll find better documentation on Linux, as Microsoft doesn't really provide this information. Look into how Linux is made, and you'll have your answer in greater details, as the whole thing is open source. Keep in mind, I said Linux, not Ubuntu or a Linux distro. In this case I am saying "Linux" as the actual Linux kernel.

Amending what @GoodBytes said, you can find resources online that will show you how an OS is developed, and how to write your own. If you know how to write software, it should be something you can understand -- although you might still need a couple other references handy since you'll probably encounter concepts you've never seen before. If you've never touched a line of code in your life, or if your programming experience doesn't extend far beyond scripting languages (Perl, Python, PHP, and the like), it'll probably go way over your head.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

If i had to guess maybe some sort of linux type os, but idk

Doubt it, probably of a lot of assembly hard coding and registry.