Hack my motherboard... Add PCIe x16 Slot?

This is not something that I must do, but it would be interesting to try it if it's possible.

I have (see pics) a simple motherboard from Dell, which has two PCIe x1 slots, and one PCIe X16 slot. The second PCIe slot is hidden under the graphics card.

Now, there is a "pad" for a second x16 slot, and I would like to know if it is possible to solder one in and make it work.

Why? Because it might be fun, and it would allow me to use a flexible PCIe riser cable to install other PCI cards further down in the case (which would preserve the airflow on the GPU.)

I was curious tonight and searched for a PCIe Thunderbolt 3 card, which I could not find in x1. The throughput for Thunderbolt requires at least a 4x slot. I know 4x accessories can be installed in empty x16 slots, so that led me to think about adding that second x16 slot on the board myself. I am confident in my soldering skills, but not too sure if it would be locked out by the BIOS anyway. Has anyone successfully added features to their limited boards? Am I just crazy for even thinking about this? Where would someone even be able to purchase the slot piece to solder in anyway?

I would just buy another board and have the slot, but... Well, that will have to wait until I have the funds available to do that and get a retail copy of Windows 10 at the same time, which would also mean that I have to reinstall all my software... Something I do not feel like doing unless I absolutely have to. lol. Having Thunderbolt 3 isn't critical, because nothing really uses it yet, but it would be cool to have.

Pics in spoiler.

post-293593-0-03930900-1452912176_thumb.

post-293593-0-78115500-1452912189_thumb.

~Cynical~

The BIOS itself may reject the slot, depending on how it's programmed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is not something that I must do, but it would be interesting to try it if it's possible.

I have (see pics) a simple motherboard from Dell, which has two PCIe x1 slots, and one PCIe X16 slot. The second PCIe slot is hidden under the graphics card.

Now, there is a "pad" for a second x16 slot, and I would like to know if it is possible to solder one in and make it work.

Why? Because it might be fun, and it would allow me to use a flexible PCIe riser cable to install other PCI cards further down in the case (which would preserve the airflow on the GPU.)

I was curious tonight and searched for a PCIe Thunderbolt 3 card, which I could not find in x1. The throughput for Thunderbolt requires at least a 4x slot. I know 4x accessories can be installed in empty x16 slots, so that led me to think about adding that second x16 slot on the board myself. I am confident in my soldering skills, but not too sure if it would be locked out by the BIOS anyway. Has anyone successfully added features to their limited boards? Am I just crazy for even thinking about this? Where would someone even be able to purchase the slot piece to solder in anyway?

I would just buy another board and have the slot, but... Well, that will have to wait until I have the funds available to do that and get a retail copy of Windows 10 at the same time, which would also mean that I have to reinstall all my software... Something I do not feel like doing unless I absolutely have to. lol. Having Thunderbolt 3 isn't critical, because nothing really uses it yet, but it would be cool to have.

Pics in spoiler.

attachicon.gif20160115_203922.jpg

attachicon.gif20160115_203927.jpg

the bios would have to be hacked/modded to even make this work

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Pics in spoiler.

attachicon.gif20160115_203922.jpg

attachicon.gif20160115_203927.jpg

ms toolkit

alternatively you could cut out the back of that PCIe x1 on your motherboard slot like linus has done and be limited to 1GB/s over thunderbolt. I have personally done this before, and so has linus:

Also that "pad" is actually called a motherboard artifact. Also, that is a PCI slot like this one:

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

That slot is called a PCI slot and it will not work with the thunderbolt card so even if you went through all the trouble of soldering a new PCIe slot on it wouldn't even work. If you are set on putting in a thunderbolt card you will need to cut the single PCIe x1 slot on the motherboard and live with 1GB/s speeds.

Yeah, looking at it again, you're right about it not being an express slot, which is quite disappointing.

As far as cutting that x1 slot, do you know what kind of functionality I would lose with Thunderbolt 3 being limited to the 1GB/s?

I suppose I don't really need that much speed for anything, but I was hoping to find a Type-C Thunderbolt 3 USB 3.1 Gen 2 hub, and be able to use any connector I needed to, whenever I needed. I know I can get a USB 3.1 card that uses x1, but I am pretty sure that is USB 3.1 Gen 1 (usually marketed as USB 3.0,) rather than Gen 2, and I know Thunderbolt is capable of doing a lot more things than just simple data transfer functions.

~Cynical~

thats a PCI slot not a PCIe slot

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On does not simply solder a PCI slot to a motherboard

1. The PCB traces (electrical paths) from the slot to the chipset needs to exist
  2. Motherboard BIOS (or even CPU) needs to support it
  3. The supporting electrical components for the PCI slot must exist (i.e. the capacitors / diodes / resistors, etc)
  4. One does not simply solder on a multi-layer PCB with ordinary soldering tools (motherboards can be somewhere as many as 18+ layers

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>