OC a i7-6700 non K sku?

I'm thinking about upgrading to Skylake and I want to be able to overclock it and since you can overclock non K Skylake CPU's i want to know if I can overclock i7 6700 5Ghz and up with custom water cooling loop. I plan on using ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. I haven't really been paying attention at all with Skylake but I'm getting more interested so I don't really know. Thanks.

"The best chapter of Naruto is when Goku helps Pikachu to prevent Spider-Man to drown at the Titanic." 
"I have a fear that one day when I attempt to take a shit, the shit will take me instead." 
"You wouldn't have won, if I hadn't loss, man."     "If you give a man an apple it'll keep the doctor away, but if you teach a man to apple he becomes a doctor for life" 

just buy the 6700k and overclock the proper way

its not much more expensive

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can't do that on all mobos. Only some motherboards can OC non K cpu's and it's a risk since non K cpu's are most likely worse than K chips quality wise.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

your not going to get up to 5ghz on a non k processor i dont even think you can get up to 5ghz on the unlocked version according to annandtech. it starts to get unstable at 4.8ghz

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i want to know if I can overclock i7 6700 5Ghz and up with custom water cooling loop.

not happening lol.

If you have enough money for z170 and a custom loop, get a 6700k.

'Cause you 'ain't 'gettin' 5gH'z on 'non 'K' 'SKU' k?

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Your chances of a 24/7 5GHz OC on any Intel chip since Ivy is extremely low. 4.5-4.8 would be a reasonable goal for Skylake. More results/databases for non-k SKU OC's need to be established before anyone could give you odds. I'd recommend checking OCN.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I'm thinking about upgrading to Skylake and I want to be able to overclock it and since you can overclock non K Skylake CPU's i want to know if I can overclock i7 6700 5Ghz and up with custom water cooling loop. I plan on using ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. I haven't really been paying attention at all with Skylake but I'm getting more interested so I don't really know. Thanks.

No one can promise overclocking results. You're usually limited by what the chip can do long before temperatures actually stop you from going further. Your 6700 may not reach 5 GHz no matter how much cooling it has.

Assuming that board got a BIOS update to enable overclocking locked processors, you should be able to overclock. We just can't tell you how well you'll do with it.

If you have enough money for z170 and a custom loop, get a 6700k.

'Cause you 'ain't 'gettin' 5gH'z on 'non 'K' 'SKU' k?

I don't know about non-K (normal SKU's) but i can say without a doubt that the T sku's are binned extremely high. Very low voltage leak from my personal tests on a 6600T with a 66.7% overclock (166.7BCLK). Now, I could have gotten lucky on my bin i guess, but i've also seen 6100T's reach extremely high clocks vs their normal counterparts. 

As for @SomePurpleRandom: Overclocking non-K CPU's is not all that it's cracked up to be. I see it more as a way to get more price:performance out of budget Pentiums, i3's, and i5's. If you are investing in an i7, i would just invest in a K series CPU to save you from the following headaches:

1. Overclocking Non-K CPU's disables C states. This means power saving features are gone.

2. Overclocking Non-K CPU's disables the iGPU. This means you lose the ability to use it for Quicksync, or as a multi-monitor setup. You have to use a dGPU.

3. Overclocking Non-K CPU's disables AVX. This means your scores in benchmarks will actually get lower as you overclock, and you lose raw compute performance.

4. Overclocking Non-K CPU's cuts the L1 cache speed by 75%. This will also have a huge impact on benchmark scores. 

These are the caveats most reviewers tend to ignore, that can actually impact your outlook on whether or not its worth it to overclock a non-K CPU. If you are a benchmark junkie that wants his name on leaderboards, you will not have a good time. If you fold GROMACS, the loss of AVX will leave a bad taste in your mouth. If you use Quicksync, or need your iGPU for multi monitor setups, an overclocked non-K CPU will completely remove your ability to use them. If you leave your PC on 24/7, and care about sleeping states, then you will not like knowing that your PC is unable to use its C states. 

If after all of that, you are still wanting to overclock with a non-K CPU, then its entirely up to you. After overclocking this 6600T, i can easily say that i would probably spend the extra bit of cash to get a K series CPU IF i was using a non-ITX build. So far, this 6600T overclocked to 4.5ghz is not passing 74C under Prime95 with an ITX cooler, in an ITX case. Easily the best investment I have ever made as an ITX user.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Skylake and I want to be able to overclock it and since you can overclock non K Skylake CPU's i want to know if I can overclock i7 6700 5Ghz and up with custom water cooling loop. I plan on using ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. I haven't really been paying attention at all with Skylake but I'm getting more interested so I don't really know. Thanks.

K or non K the chance of 5ghz is low unless over voltaging

When u oc non K. Disabled turbo boost manually

Then increase bclk and put the vcore at which ever amount u desire. After u get a stable oc then oc the ram back to somewhere close to it original speed or beyond if desire to

You can't do that on all mobos. Only some motherboards can OC non K cpu's and it's a risk since non K cpu's are most likely worse than K chips quality wise.

Non K is not worse than K

They the same and the silicon lottery is what decide if u got a binned chip or not. Saying non K is worse is like saying all other intel locked cpus is trash. If they are worse then there would have been qc issues

It just one is a locked down and the other one is not. Try to oc the non K has some trade off had to be made

Stop spouting nonsense

They the same and the silicon lottery is what decide if u got a binned chip or not.

The silicon lottery isn't all luck… Intel is going to sell the best yield as K-series products. It wouldn't be very efficient to let their best-performing chips go as locked products intended never to be overclocked.

I don't know about non-K (normal SKU's) but i can say without a doubt that the T sku's are binned extremely high. Very low voltage leak from my personal tests on a 6600T with a 66.7% overclock (166.7BCLK). Now, I could have gotten lucky on my bin i guess, but i've also seen 6100T's reach extremely high clocks vs their normal counterparts.

As for @SomePurpleRandom: Overclocking non-K CPU's is not all that it's cracked up to be. I see it more as a way to get more price:performance out of budget Pentiums, i3's, and i5's. If you are investing in an i7, i would just invest in a K series CPU to save you from the following headaches:

1. Overclocking Non-K CPU's disables C states. This means power saving features are gone.

2. Overclocking Non-K CPU's disables the iGPU. This means you lose the ability to use it for Quicksync, or as a multi-monitor setup. You have to use a dGPU.

3. Overclocking Non-K CPU's disables AVX. This means your scores in benchmarks will actually get lower as you overclock, and you lose raw compute performance.

4. Overclocking Non-K CPU's cuts the L1 cache speed by 75%. This will also have a huge impact on benchmark scores.

These are the caveats most reviewers tend to ignore, that can actually impact your outlook on whether or not its worth it to overclock a non-K CPU. If you are a benchmark junkie that wants his name on leaderboards, you will not have a good time. If you fold GROMACS, the loss of AVX will leave a bad taste in your mouth. If you use Quicksync, or need your iGPU for multi monitor setups, an overclocked non-K CPU will completely remove your ability to use them. If you leave your PC on 24/7, and care about sleeping states, then you will not like knowing that your PC is unable to use its C states.

If after all of that, you are still wanting to overclock with a non-K CPU, then its entirely up to you. After overclocking this 6600T, i can easily say that i would probably spend the extra bit of cash to get a K series CPU IF i was using a non-ITX build. So far, this 6600T overclocked to 4.5ghz is not passing 74C under Prime95 with an ITX cooler, in an ITX case. Easily the best investment I have ever made as an ITX user.

Basically all of this. Make up ur decision

Get K or non K depend on you. You want to try bclk or multipler the K can do it all and it just if u want to spend more or not

The silicon lottery isn't all luck… Intel is going to sell the best chips as K-series products. It wouldn't be very efficient to let their best yield go as locked products intended never to be overclocked.

The T series (at least, in my personal experience) seems to be the exception to this rule. I believe they are binned highly to prevent voltage leak, because they have to hit that TDP window, and they manage to do so at much lower voltages. I know my 6600T is an easy overclocker, and it seems to be just as capable as any 6600K that i've seen so far. IMC is strong enough to run my memory at 3200mhz CL15-15-15-30-CR1 still, and it is completely stable under both Linpack and Prime95 loads at the following speeds:

4.050ghz = 1.3 vcore 

4320ghz = 1.34 vcore

4.5ghz = 1.37 vcore

That being said, i don't know what the average 6600k can hit, and at what voltages, but I don't feel like my processor being a T series is hindering the OC at all. If anything, my board is holding me back. I cannot post beyond 170BCLK. If i go 170.1, it fails to post. No amount of voltage changes this. 

snip

Right, of course. The T series are sold specifically on their power efficiency so of course they're probably binning those as well. I didn't mean to exclude those, I just don't typically think of them.

Right, of course. The T series are sold specifically on their power efficiency so of course they're probably binning those as well. I didn't mean to exclude those, I just don't typically think of them.

To be fair, overclocking the T series is not something a normal person would even think of doing. I was just building a sub 4L ITX case, and decided to go with the 6600T (without intending to OC it) and since my platform and board support it, i decided to give it a go anyways. Very impressed with it so far though.