Need a new PSU, any recommendations?

ShiftY_

I am looking to upgrade my power supply for my current PC, as I had upgraded to a HD7950 (I know its an Old card but it still runs like a beast). at the moment I have a 500W thermal take lite power in which I have a whole bunch of molex to 6pin connectors coming off it, although it does the Job Id hate to see the system catch fire or something along those lines...

Im also getting a new case, Aerocool XPredator X1 mid tower. I have a budget of $120 AUD MAX

core pc specs:

i7-2600

HD7950

8GB RAM

Regards, ShiftY

Note: if the parts can be sourced in Victoria at the same store/site it would be extremely helpful  :D  :D

I am looking to upgrade my power supply for my current PC, as I had upgraded to a HD7950 (I know its an Old card but it still runs like a beast). at the moment I have a 500W thermal take lite power in which I have a whole bunch of molex to 6pin connectors coming off it, although it does the Job Id hate to see the system catch fire or something along those lines...

Im also getting a new case, Aerocool XPredator X1 mid tower. I have a budget of $120 AUD MAX

core pc specs:

i7-2600

HD7950

8GB RAM

Regards, ShiftY

Note: if the parts can be sourced in Victoria at the same store/site it would be extremely helpful  :D  :D

The stuff in yellow in my signature is good. Anything in the PSU whitelist will do as well provided you get something hefty enough.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

are the thermaltake smart power 650W 80+ bronze PSUs any good??

The stuff in yellow in my signature is good. Anything in the PSU whitelist will do as well provided you get something hefty enough.

cheers :) I think ill stay away from the RMX series though, just a tad out my price range haha

Nah. Thermaltake should be avoided if morals matter to you when buying from a company. I don't recall the Smart actually being any good though, morals aside. See if the Corsair RM (regular one) can be afforded.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

core pc specs:

i7-2600

HD7950

8GB RAM

Regards, ShiftY

Seasonic M12II 620W :)

Unfortunately the RM Series are just as bad as the RMX... nearly 180AUD for a 650W, the place I'm looking at has an Antec HCG 750w for 170 AUD, is it worth spending the each $40 for the power supply compared to say an Aerocool 700W gold??

The rest of us don't so please don't recommend it ;)

Im sorry i offended you. Just trying to recommend a product i like

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Im sorry i offended you. Just trying to recommend a product i like

Didn't offend me, it's just not a great product ;)

In case you're wondering why, it's basically a hopped-up FSP Aurum which is a high-efficiency, mediocre performance PSU. Costs about the same as GS/GQ/B2 series stuff so I would avoid it unless it's like $30 USD.

Unfortunately the RM Series are just as bad as the RMX... nearly 180AUD for a 650W, the place I'm looking at has an Antec HCG 750w for 170 AUD, is it worth spending the each $40 for the power supply compared to say an Aerocool 700W gold??

That Antec is good. Also avoid Aerocool PSUs.

That Antec is good. Also avoid Aerocool PSUs.

How about cooler master/silverstone?

It's a CWT DSA-II unit internally. It's an acceptable, budget level PSU. I would suggest the Antec Neo Eco II 550w over though (aka Antec VPF550 in the EU and Earthwatt Green 550w in the NA). It's a better quality, DC-DC unit that's made by Delta. http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=140&bid=2&sid=265218

The Antec Truepower Classic 550w would be good as well (Seasonic S12G internally). http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&bid=2&sid=159953&id2=1

If I was to get the Antec HCG 750W, would it be worth to get that, then wait till I have enough for a new case?

If I was to get the Antec HCG 750W, would it be worth to get that, then wait till I have enough for a new case?

Whether it is worth it or not will depends on your future plans. ATM, your rig can be powered on a quality 400w PSU, and the two 550w units I had linked can allow you to power a card like the GTX 980 Ti if you wanted to. While getting the HCG-750 (which is a good mid-range unit based on the Seasonic AM platform) can get allow for SLI/CFX, buying it when you don't have any plans to may end up wasting your money.

Not to mentioned, if you go with the route of buying the case later, you would need to take out the PSU again and redo your cable management. It's kind of a good idea to buy the case and PSU at the same time to avoid that.

Also, check out some of the BeQuiet PSU's... Have been using their PSU's for a long time now... German quality and the most quiet power supply I have ever owned.