AM3+ Motherboard suggestions

Tomasu

Hi,

I'm suspecting my motherboard (M5A99X EVO v1) is causing issues (it is defective, the sound never worked in windows or linux), and I'm thinking about getting a decent motherboard that supports m.2 and usb 3.1.

While I am tempted to go for a new Intel based system, I'd prefer not to replace my entire system just to fix a small problem in a machine that performs really well in most tasks I use it for. I'm trying to save money. (The system I've been drooling over making is one based on Jayztwocent's Node 202 micro box, with skylake, my new R9 390, 32gb ram, and some super fast m.2 storage, but I expect that to cost an arm AND a leg, I could probably do it, but my wife would probably kill me)

Good overclocking support would be a bonus (I got my 8320 up to 4.7Ghz stable for a while), the hardware /must/ be supported under linux, I'd prefer Intel nics over Killer or realtek etc, and it must support 32GB or more ram. USB 3.1 would be a bonus as well.

I'm hoping you all can suggest a good option.

I don't believe AM3+ supports M.2...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Hi,

I'm suspecting my motherboard (M5A99X EVO v1) is causing issues (it is defective, the sound never worked in windows or linux), and I'm thinking about getting a decent motherboard that supports m.2 and usb 3.1.

While I am tempted to go for a new Intel based system, I'd prefer not to replace my entire system just to fix a small problem in a machine that performs really well in most tasks I use it for. I'm trying to save money. (The system I've been drooling over making is one based on Jayztwocent's Node 202 micro box, with skylake, my new R9 390, 32gb ram, and some super fast m.2 storage, but I expect that to cost an arm AND a leg, I could probably do it, but my wife would probably kill me)

Good overclocking support would be a bonus (I got my 8320 up to 4.7Ghz stable for a while), the hardware /must/ be supported under linux, I'd prefer Intel nics over Killer or realtek etc, and it must support 32GB or more ram. USB 3.1 would be a bonus as well.

I'd personally grab this bad boy:

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

And then just get PCI cards to get the additional function ability you wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-PCIe-Adapter-Support/dp/B00MYCQP38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452642639&sr=8-1&keywords=PCI+M.2

http://www.amazon.com/Type--USB-3-1-TYPE--CARD/dp/B00Y7UXJJI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452642750&sr=8-3&keywords=PCI+USB+3.1

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It doesn't.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

It doesn't.

Then what is it doing on here?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer/

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Its one of the few modernised AM3+ motherboards?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hi,

To be honest, get rid of this thing altogether.

Wait for AM4 to upgrade OR go for an intel cpu/mobo if you have the extra money to spend (seems you wasted money on 32gb ram and are interested in m.2 storage so looks like you do)

Its not a part of the chipset, it is just a pass through.

See this page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer/?cat=Specifications

The M.2 is just a extension of the eSata connector.

Spoiler

Its not a part of the chipset, it is just a pass through.

See this page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer/?cat=Specifications

The M.2 is just a extension of the eSata connector.

But it's available on the board and is supported. hell m.2 is not part of the z97 chipset it just gets tacked on by the vendors that want to include it. also this board supports sata and pcie 2x not just sata.

the m.2 connection is in no way an extension of esata, an extension of sata sure but not esata.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Wrong again...

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5655#ov

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Hey! I'm already having that argument with him. :P

Yep, although I wish they would of gotten their shit together when they dropped the intel variants... Would of been nice to have M.2 on my FX but I'm on the hunt for a 6600k as I've got the socket fixed on my gf's motherboard and I bought her a replacement one.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Hey! I'm already having that argument with him. :P

Don't argue with him lol he's alright really just trigger happy and doesn't research, but overall he's a good guy.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Wrong again?

Yah you've posted in a few topics over the last few weeks where I've had to correct you because you've simply been wrong in what you're posting about.

Still love you though x

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Yah you've posted in a few topics over the last few weeks where I've had to correct you because you've simply been wrong in what you're posting about.

Still love you though x

Where RAM speed doesn't make a difference in gaming? That was one.

My current board is the M5A99X EVO, and I wasn't entirely happy with how ASUS handled my RMA request. Suppose It's my fault for not wanting to go through with their inane "have you tried turning it off and on again?" type questions. I just didn't have time or energy to deal with the support people at the time.

RMA it?

Way out of warranty I think. I might double check, but I think its been out of warranty for a couple years.

To be honest, get rid of this thing altogether.

Wait for AM4 to upgrade OR go for an intel cpu/mobo if you have the extra money to spend (seems you wasted money on 32gb ram and are interested in m.2 storage so looks like you do)

I was expecting an answer like this :P I really don't want to spend $1500 to build a new box when I can spend $200 to get a more modern experience with a motherboard that isn't faulty. Overall the hardware works GREAT for most of what I use it for. The extra cores are very useful to me as a programmer, even if the perf/watt isn't ideal, it's still a very useful system.

I acknowledged that possibility in my original post, and that I won't be taking that option right now.

AM4 or Intel is a complete system replacement. Not a simple part replacement. I didn't actually waste money on 32GB ram, the machine runs just fine on 32GB right now, and I use every last bit of it :D And yes, I'm interested in m.2, but i probably wont upgrade to it right away.

Thanks though.