Sennheiser HD 650 for gaming and music? (Also DAC and AMP advice)

So would it be worth it to buy a Sennheiser HD 650s for gaming and a lot of music listening? Of course I will be using high quality music files. I'm looking at the price point of $400 and ever since I heard $1,350 speakers I can't listen to anything worse. At least with $400 headphones (with a good amp) will come close. Also, please suggest some high quality DACS/AMPs for under $70. 

Thank you in advance!

Chickenpuffball

Would be great for music, but would not be great for gaming since it has a limited soundstage.

the only decent amp/dac I can recommend for under $70 is the SMSL SD793-II, but you will need optical or coax plug on your motherboard to use it.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Would be great for music, but would not be great for gaming since it has a limited soundstage.

the only decent amp/dac I can recommend for under $70 is the SMSL SD793-II, but you will need optical or coax plug on your motherboard to use it.

You must be kidding. HD650 has limited soundstage?? Sure there are headphones with bigger, wider soundstage. But I won't say HD650 has "limited" soundstage. At least it beats most of the closed back heaphones out there in term of soundstage.

You must be kidding. HD650 has limited soundstage?? Sure there are headphones with bigger, wider soundstage. But I won't say HD650 has "limited" soundstage. At least it beats most of the closed back heaphones out there in term soundstage.

The HD650 does indeed have a fairly limited sound stage as far as open back headphones go. Sure, it has more sound stage than a closed back, but you can't really compare all that well, since closed back headphones are made for a different experience. Not to mention, I actually have two pairs of headphones right in front of me that I find have a more open sound, with a larger sound stage than the HD650 has.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The HD650 does indeed have a fairly limited sound stage as far as open back headphones go. Sure, it has more sound stage than a closed back, but you can't really compare all that well, since closed back headphones are made for a different experience. Not to mention, I actually have two pairs of headphones right in front of me that I find have a more open sound, with a larger sound stage than the HD650 has.

I get what you mean. But many "gaming" headphones and headsets are closed back. So, I won't say HD650 isn't good for gaming because it has limited soundstage.

I have Fidelio X2 and HD800. They both have relatively bigger soundstage than my HD600(my brother has the HD650). Still I won't use the word "limited" to describe the soundstage of HD650.

The 650 actually has pretty decent soundstage. Its not like the 600 where the soundstage is comparable to something like the M40X or the M50X (the soundstage of the M40X and the M50X are tiny).

Use these as my daily driver for games and music listen and can say that they are really good for gaming (CSGO anyway)

So would it be worth it to buy a Sennheiser HD 650s for gaming and a lot of music listening? Of course I will be using high quality music files. I'm looking at the price point of $400 and ever since I heard $1,350 speakers I can't listen to anything worse. At least with $400 headphones (with a good amp) will come close. Also, please suggest some high quality DACS/AMPs for under $70.

Thank you in advance!

Chickenpuffball

I use my HD650s with the modi and magni stack and they sound great.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

HD650 is good but what kind of music do you usually listen to?

Mostly 60s to 80s music, David Bowie as a reference.

the only decent amp/dac I can recommend for under $70 is the SMSL SD793-II, but you will need optical or coax plug on your motherboard to use it.

What dac would you reccomend for above $70? I don't have a blank check by the way.

What dac would you reccomend for above $70? I don't have a blank check by the way.

http://schiit.com/products

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

For $100 the Micca OriGen. For $200ish the Schiit Magni+Modi or O2+ODAC. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Nothing. Don't waste money on a DAC. Put the money into a quality amplifier.

For $100 the Micca OriGen. For $200ish the Schiit Magni+Modi or O2+ODAC. 

Did the O2+ODAC drop significantly in price when I wasn't looking?

Did the O2+ODAC drop significantly in price when I wasn't looking?

I think it's the massdrop O2 Odac

Yes, but if the dude has $1k plus speakers he probably isn't looking at super budget options. SMSL SD793-II is better at about twice the price (you have to buy your own optical cable).

Yes, but if the dude has $1k plus speakers he probably isn't looking at super budget options. SMSL SD793-II is better at about twice the price (you have to buy your own optical cable).

OH FUCK I DIDN'T READ EVERYTHING. I just read HD650 and AMP/DAC Combo.