Candy Selling at School

Philcat101

Hmm, does that involve the right to re-sell an item anywhere you want? I'm getting tired so I might have missed it. I mean, I get that OP has the right to sell the candy he bought for profit if he wants, but I didn't think it was allowed at school for the reasons I mentioned above.

I am selling candy that is labelled for resale, so this is valid.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has standards that prevent distribution of food that do not meet their standard unless it is approved (usually this only applies to fundraisers and such). So what you're doing (individually distributing 'unapproved' food) is illegal.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/cn/fundraisersfactsheet.pdf

Of course, I know jack about U.S. food/education laws so I could be entirely wrong.

If the school says it's okay and they're complying with the requirements of the Department of Agriculture, then they're fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There's nothing that suggests he is lying, so therefore I must allow it. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with what the OP is doing.

Eh, fair enough. I just hope he abides by the school's wishes. Still, I feel like there's something I'm missing. I suppose I should probably sleep on it...

I am selling candy that is labelled for resale, so this is valid.

Well, that's another check mark in your favor, I guess.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Oh for gods sakes people. Are you guys really beating down on a kid? 

WTF is wrong with you people? Am in high school and some kid sold candy at our school IN HIGH SCHOOL. You know what the kid was making nearly 200$ a day because he was a nice person, sold the candy at a reasonable price and generally a nice person. 

OP you sell that candy  and you enjoy the money you get from it lad. Don't let these people on the forum stop you. If we can't sell stuff at school such as candy lets just remove everything, lets get rid of the student store, clothing store lets get rid of everything. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

WTF is wrong with you people? Am in high school and some kid sold candy at our school IN HIGH SCHOOL. You know what the kid was making nearly 200$ a day because he was a nice person, sold the candy at a reasonable price and generally a nice person. 

OP you sell that candy  and you enjoy the money you get from it lad. Don't let these people on the forum stop you. If we can't sell stuff at school such as candy lets just remove everything, lets get rid of the student store, clothing store lets get rid of everything. 

I don't have a problem with a student store or anything of the sort. I potentially have a problem with people selling stuff for profit at school. That is not a medium whose purpose is to distribute goods; it is meant solely for education. If someone is allowed to do that, it can disturb the environment the school wants to achieve, making students focus on less important areas. But, if his school allows it and explicitly states that he is allowed to redistribute normally legal items for profit, I'll be perfectly fine with it.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Lol thanks :D (Did you see the first instance of this thread? It generated more argument than a troll console post)

I am volatile but I don't let things affect me directly. I still commend you for standing up for me. We need more people like this.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

OK, I have an update coming tomorrow before I do stuff on Monday. (With permission of course)

Thanks to the people who are interested in my experience.

-snip-

That's a damn good idea man! I'm not sure what grade your in but you can make some mad bank off the kids in your class! Good on ya' :)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

All right guys, I have posted update #1! Enjoy.

1/11/2016
On Thursday 1/7/16, I bought $30 worth of candy from Costco: A $19 box of 30 assorted chocolate bars and $11 dollar box of Nabisco snack bags.
LIST OF ITEMS: Snickers, Twix, M&M's, Peanut M&M's, Milky Way, Nutter Butter, Mini Oreos, Mini Nilla Wafers, Mini Chips Ahoy, and Ritz Bits in the Peanut Butter and Cheese variants.
The candies I chose are pretty popular in the area I live in the USA, so they should sell pretty well.
kVAAZWI.jpg
Today on Monday 1/11/16, I was ready to sell. I put some candy in a red bag:
zrbsBcf.jpg
I took it to school and cleared with the administration that I could sell it.
I only sold enough candy to get me $3, but I guess that is just the start. Most people wanted to buy it but didn't have money on them. As my business gains more popularity across the student body, I will be able to sell to more people that have money available to spend.
Thanks for reading this update! My next one will be about more progress and how I keep track of how much candy I sell, and which ones are most popular.

No. I dont think this is a good idea even if the school allows it. (your just going to make your peers obese) In the end, its just a SSD, better off learning python and getting paid that way

LOL, no a little candy won't, otherwise they will get it elsewhere.

I swear, people here.... fucking chronic douchebags.

Back in my day the enterprising kids just sold weed lol 

(definitely not suggesting this course of action, just saying that's what the kids with entrepreneurial streaks did at my school)  

Back in my day the enterprising kids just sold weed lol 

(definitely not suggesting this course of action, just saying that's what the kids with entrepreneurial streaks did at my school)  

That is definitely a fast way to make money xD

I would never do it though

Here is Update #2, which can also be found in the original post.

1/12/16

I wanted to keep track of statistics on my business over a long period of time, so I fired up Excel and went to work.

I put the candies the rows, and dates in the columns, and had charts like that for lots of metrics like amount sold, amount in stock, sales, prices, amount added to stock etc. (For each metric for each product for each day: I had 3 dimensions of data)

I linked lots of stuff up with formulas, for example the amount of candy in stock equaled the amount equated the previous day minus the amount sold plus the amount added in stock. (amount of candy = amount of candy yesterday - candy sold + candy added into inventory)

With all of these metrics, I can keep good track on what candies people like, when I should get more candy, and even see which candy I should stop stocking.

I am glad I used my Excel skills to apply it to something I needed. Thanks for reading!

As far as I'm aware, one isn't allowed to sell things within a school's grounds without prior consent from the school and district because school isn't meant to be a place for non-sanctioned distribution of goods(especially not for individual profit; I think it should only be allowed for educational purposes), and can compromise the safety of the students. I don't believe OP's statement that it is allowed, unless he's talking about doing it with permission, like the other group he described seems to have. I still haven't received a confirmation from him, though.

This only applies to public schools, if OP is in a private school, the school holds full discretion. 

My business is growing, read more in the update!

1/15/16

I have used my spreadsheet to log my sales and statistics, so here are some to look at.

17 total candies sold

$15.50 made in gross sales

$6.60 of profit

The most popular candy was Twix

All of this was in a week, and I would definitely call this successful. (I still remember the original thread about me selling candy xD). As time goes on, I hope I can grow my business more.

My plan is to buy more of the candy that sold well so I can continue to make more money off it. In the future, when I have made enough money to be risky with, I will get other types of candy so I can get more profit streams.

I guess that concludes it. I hope to post again soon. Thanks for your interest!

At least this is better than a pyramid scheme. Some kids from my high school started one that involved schools all over the county and made a couple hundred thousand dollars before it collapsed.

Well we should all just be happy that you make money by selling candy instead of selling drugs.

i5-4460 - Scythe Mugen PCGH Edition - MSI R9 390 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-1600 - MSI H97 3 Gaming - NZXT Noctis 450 Black/Red - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - Cooler Master G750M PSU  - BenQ RL2455HM - Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Silent - Razer Deathadder Chroma - Logitech z623 Speakers - Windows 10 & 8.1

Well we should all just be happy that you make money by selling candy instead of selling drugs.

Here is the first thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/524214-candy-selling-business-at-school/

The title might just as well be selling drugs at school xD

I am less than 16, and I haven't been able to find jobs in my area for my age. Thanks for your vote of confidence.

I've heard it's easier to find jobs if you leave your bunker in the desert... Just saying.

Because you're selling snacks, maybe try getting a bunker in the dessert? :)

On Topic: Good job getting this started on your own at your age. Would love to see how you setup the Excel Spreadsheet sometime.

Our school had a similar program through Business Courses where they ran a small store selling snacks and supplies. Anthony would have approved.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I've heard it's easier to find jobs if you leave your bunker in the desert... Just saying.

Because you're selling snacks, maybe try getting a bunker in the dessert? :)

On Topic: Good job getting this started on your own at your age. Would love to see how you setup the Excel Spreadsheet sometime.

Our school had a similar program through Business Courses where they ran a small store selling snacks and supplies. Anthony would have approved.

Lol I live in Utah (desert) and I live in a basement (bunker). Creative, huh xD

Thanks for your interest! It helps.

I think it would be great if I showed how I setup excel, expect an update tomorrow on it!

In the olden days when I was at school I did this and made a load of money but nearly got kicked out of school for doing it (didn't in the end).

In the olden days when I was at school I did this and made a load of money but nearly got kicked out of school for doing it (didn't in the end).

If they tried to kick me out of say, "At least it isn't drugs"

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)