Candy Selling at School

Philcat101

CANDY SELLING BUSINESS AT MY SCHOOL

Project started on 1/9/16

Hello guys, thank you for checking out my thread. This one post will be edited as I make new updates on my business. All new content will be added in spoilers.

INTRODUCTION
As you can currently see in my signature, my computer hardware is slow, outdated and showing age. My mom got me this PC on Christmas in 2014 for $150 (I have added the graphics card and SSD for an additional $100), and I have become a power user since then. Everything is bad and the only viable option is to get a new rig. However, I need money to do that. I am young, so I can't get a professional job. I have been searching up for ways to earn money as someone my age, but every source was the same: mowing lawns, doing chores around the house, and walking dogs only to name few of the many suggestions. All of these jobs wouldn't work as I couldn't be devoted enough to make a steady money flow that is sufficient enough for me to save up for a new rig.

THE SOLUTION
After lots of research, I have finally found a solution, and that was to sell candy at school. I found many people on YouTube having success with selling candy at school, making a lot of profit. This is a great solution because every teen wants candy (of course not every teen, but the difference is negligible), the candy that the school sells is overpriced healthy crap, and that buying candy in bulk will give me big profit margins while still selling at a price that people will pay for.

DISCLAIMER
I will clear with my school before I start selling. There is a student store, and people in the business class (which I was in, I actually sold a logo to another group who was selling candy with no trouble whatsoever) are selling candy as well. I am 100% confident that this will work. This is my experience, and I will do it no matter the replies posted on here. I accept all the terms of the risks associated with this practice. I just wish to document on how it went for me. If you flamewar, your efforts might be in vain.

Again, I will update this post frequently with all of the new things happening. I will also post announcements so anyone following this thread will be notified.

1/11/2016
On Thursday 1/7/16, I bought $30 worth of candy from Costco: A $19 box of 30 assorted chocolate bars and $11 dollar box of Nabisco snack bags.
LIST OF ITEMS: Snickers, Twix, M&M's, Peanut M&M's, Milky Way, Nutter Butter, Mini Oreos, Mini Nilla Wafers, Mini Chips Ahoy, and Ritz Bits in the Peanut Butter and Cheese variants.
The candies I chose are pretty popular in the area I live in the USA, so they should sell pretty well.
kVAAZWI.jpg
Today on Monday 1/11/16, I was ready to sell. I put some candy in a red bag:
zrbsBcf.jpg
I took it to school and cleared with the administration that I could sell it.
I only sold enough candy to get me $3, but I guess that is just the start. Most people wanted to buy it but didn't have money on them. As my business gains more popularity across the student body, I will be able to sell to more people that have money available to spend.
Thanks for reading this update! My next one will be about more progress and how I keep track of how much candy I sell, and which ones are most popular.

1/12/16

I wanted to keep track of statistics on my business over a long period of time, so I fired up Excel and went to work.

I put the candies the rows, and dates in the columns, and had charts like that for lots of metrics like amount sold, amount in stock, sales, prices, amount added to stock etc. (For each metric for each product for each day: I had 3 dimensions of data)

I linked lots of stuff up with formulas, for example the amount of candy in stock equaled the amount equated the previous day minus the amount sold plus the amount added in stock. (amount of candy = amount of candy yesterday - candy sold + candy added into inventory)

With all of these metrics, I can keep good track on what candies people like, when I should get more candy, and even see which candy I should stop stocking.

I am glad I used my Excel skills to apply it to something I needed. Thanks for reading!

1/15/16

I have used my spreadsheet to log my sales and statistics, so here are some to look at.

17 total candies sold

$15.50 made in gross sales

$6.60 of profit

The most popular candy was Twix

All of this was in a week, and I would definitely call this successful. (I still remember the original thread about me selling candy xD). As time goes on, I hope I can grow my business more.

My plan is to buy more of the candy that sold well so I can continue to make more money off it. In the future, when I have made enough money to be risky with, I will get other types of candy so I can get more profit streams.

I guess that concludes it. I hope to post again soon. Thanks for your interest!

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Please use default text layout/colour/etc as users of the night theme will have a hard time viewing this post. 

Please use default text layout/colour/etc as users of the night theme will have a hard time viewing this post. 

I could've sworn I used auto color xD

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

If you're not going to listen to us, then don't tell us. Please don't double-post, and stay off of this (a public) board if you can't handle criticism, and people disagreeing with you. Also, your disclaimer should be at the top, not the bottom. If the school allows it, why the hell does our opinion matter?

Edited by Godlygamer23

No. I dont think this is a good idea even if the school allows it. (your just going to make your peers obese) In the end, its just a SSD, better off learning python and getting paid that way

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

If you're not going to listen to us, then don't tell us. I'm not going to report this thread because I can see you're just an ignorant delinquent, and there's nothing wrong with that. You simply haven't matured yet. Please don't double-post, and stay off of this (a public) board if you can't handle criticism, and people disagreeing with you. Also, your disclaimer should be at the top, not the bottom. If the school allows it, why the hell does our opinion matter?

I can handle criticism and disagreement, I don't think anyone that anyone who was legitimately interested in my experience could get anything meaningful from that instance of the thread, as everyone was talking about drugs, calling me a 7 year old, and just being rude. (There was literally only 3 pages of argument. 3 pages.)

Edited by Godlygamer23

No. I dont think this is a good idea even if the school allows it. (your just going to make your peers obese) In the end, its just a SSD, better off learning python and getting paid that way

Saying that I am promoting obesity by selling candy is like saying Apple is promoting wasting time on electronic devices by selling said devices. I digress, as I could not sell enough candy to make anybody obese before I notify someone or stop selling candy.

I can already tell that this will be a very fun and light-hearted thread.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Depending on how old you are, just get a job, it will be better in the long run and you will get have a steady cash flow. Anyways, good luck with this and I look forward to seeing how this goes. :)

Depending on how old you are, just get a job, it will be better in the long run and you will get have a steady cash flow. Anyways, good luck with this and I look forward to seeing how this goes. :)

I am less than 16, and I haven't been able to find jobs in my area for my age. Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Tell me, did that other group have permission from the school to sell candy? If so, there's no problem with their methods. But, given how you were talking about keeping your "business" low-key suggests to me that you want to do it without getting the go-ahead from the school beforehand, and that's not right. You should not be able to make a thread about promoting illegal actions. I don't want you to do this, because this justification for doing something illegal may carry over to other areas, and it reminds me of the reasoning I've seen from criminals.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

If this is truly illegal in USA and Canada, we cannot allow this thread to continue any longer as we must abide by both Canadian and USA laws. Laws of other countries are irrelevant to us.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If this is truly illegal in USA and Canada, we cannot allow this thread to continue any longer as we must abide by both Canadian and USA laws. Laws of other countries are irrelevant to us.

IT IS ALLOWED

Edit: at least at my school. But that means it is not under the law of the USA, but instead schools. This thread can keep going

IT IS ALLOWED

Allowed by your school doesn't inherently mean allowed by law.

Can you describe exactly what it is that you're doing?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Allowed by your school doesn't inherently mean allowed by law.

Can you describe exactly what it is that you're doing?

I am buying candy in bulk at costco. I am reselling it at school. My school allows the business classes to sell candy (if they choose to do so). I was formerly a business class student; I am confident in the legality of this practice. I will clear with the school before I sell, like I said in the disclaimer. Again, it is only some individual schools and not the USA where it is not allowed..

Saying that I am promoting obesity by selling candy is like saying Apple is promoting wasting time on electronic devices by selling said devices. I digress, as I could not sell enough candy to make anybody obese before I notify someone or stop selling candy.

it was a joke lol

you obviously could not sell enough to make them obese

go eat 100$ worth of candy

you probably gain 1 pound

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

As far as I'm aware, one isn't allowed to sell things within a school's grounds without prior consent from the school and district because school isn't meant to be a place for non-sanctioned distribution of goods(especially not for individual profit; I think it should only be allowed for educational purposes), and can compromise the safety of the students. I don't believe OP's statement that it is allowed, unless he's talking about doing it with permission, like the other group he described seems to have. I still haven't received a confirmation from him, though.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

DISCLAIMER

I will clear with my school before I start selling. There is a student store, and people in the business class (which I was in, I actually sold a logo to another group who was selling candy with no trouble whatsoever) are selling candy as well. I am 100% confident that this will work. This is my experience, and I will do it no matter the replies posted on here. I accept all the terms of the risks associated with this practice. I just wish to document on how it went for me. If you flamewar, your efforts might be in vain.

Wait, is the student store for-profit? That makes a big difference.

As far as I'm aware, one isn't allowed to sell things within a school's grounds without prior consent from the school and district because school isn't meant to be a place for non-sanctioned distribution of goods(especially not for individual profit; I think it should only be allowed for educational purposes), and can compromise the safety of the students. I don't believe OP's statement that it is allowed, unless he's talking about doing it with permission, like the other group he described seems to have. I still haven't received a confirmation from him, though.

The only thing I have from the OP is that they have stated it is allowed. Doing a search, I have found this from the Supreme Court: http://smallbiztrends.com/2013/03/resale-rights-you-bought-own.html

And this: http://ownersrightsinitiative.org/

Please keep posts on topic and constructive.

The only thing I have from the OP is that they have stated it is allowed. Doing a search, I have found this from the Supreme Court: http://smallbiztrends.com/2013/03/resale-rights-you-bought-own.html

And this: http://ownersrightsinitiative.org/

Hmm, does that involve the right to re-sell an item anywhere you want? I'm getting tired so I might have missed it. I mean, I get that OP has the right to sell the candy he bought for profit if he wants, but I didn't think it was allowed at school for the reasons I mentioned above. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has standards that prevent distribution of food that do not meet their standard unless it is approved (usually this only applies to fundraisers and such). So what you're doing (individually distributing 'unapproved' food) is illegal.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/cn/fundraisersfactsheet.pdf

Of course, I know jack about U.S. food/education laws so I could be entirely wrong.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Hmm, does that involve the right to re-sell an item anywhere you want? I'm getting tired so I might have missed it. I mean, I get that OP has the right to sell the candy he bought for profit if he wants, but I didn't think it was allowed at school for the reasons I mentioned above. 

There's nothing that suggests he is lying, so therefore I must allow it. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with what the OP is doing.

it was a joke lol

you obviously could not sell enough to make them obese

go eat 100$ worth of candy

you probably gain 1 pound

I am really small for a less tha 16 year old: no problem lol