Would I be able to overclock the CPU with this build?

Totally depends on the CPU. You might get a good one, you might not. And you might need insane voltages anyways. Don't expect anything.

What is this build gonna be for? This definitely isn't ideal IMO, if you're doing something like gaming.

If gaming, I would go for an NH-D15 over an NH-D14 because it's...bigger - as long as it fits in the case.

I would stay with that motherboard because it's probably fine.

The RAM though, go for multiple sticks rather than an insane single stick.

I agree with the SSD, but depending on what you're doing you might want to tone back on the HDD space.

I would go for a more powerful graphics card if gaming.

The case is probably fine.

I believe that people would recommend other PSUs over that one (because the gold regulation isn't everything).

And I think you should be able to get a Windows 10 key cheaper elsewhere...also please don't use Windows 10.

Sig under construction.

Is it possible to overclock the CPU to around 4.7-5 GHz with this build? Is the fan good enough? Also I don't want to get a water cooler. What is the best air cooler for overclocking?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x3Jzt6

I would get the d15 instead , but water cooling is better for high overclocks thanks to its ability to move heat away from the die faster.

Also, there is luck to it, too. There is no guarantee you will reach 4.7 ghz.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

There are no guarantees to get even a single extra mhz over stock speed. That said it's a good oc setup

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is it possible to overclock the CPU to around 4.7-5 GHz with this build? Is the fan good enough? Also I don't want to get a water cooler. What is the best air cooler for overclocking?

no guarantees on that overclock, you'll have to be lucky.

I doubt it. If you really want to overclock you are going to need a water cooler because it will get too hot for air cooling

AMD FX-8350|8GB DDR3|GTX750TI|2TB HDD|CX-430 PSU|

Heard of the silicon lottery? Every single chip, even when of the same model, are different in how far it can go, so it depends on your chip, i suggest start from 4.2 ghz and 1.3volts then run stress tests to ensure it's stable, then push its speed up gradually and testing it everytime until you find the highest stable clockspeed possible for your chip

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

You have chosen a good board and cooler, but overclocks are never guaranteed so the only way to find out if you can get those speeds is to try it yourself. Recently I got a few 6700K's to test, and only about 4 out of the 12 overclock really good, the rest are average while 2 are absolute turds.

4.6 GHZ as air cooling usually is not enough for 4.8 GHZ and beyond

Even with water cooling, most chips can't reach 4.8 and beyond

100 mhz overclock is 99,999% guaranteed

i did 4.2 ghz on my i7-4790k with no added voltage :)

there's still a chance it won't work

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The overclock you can get depends on whether you get a " lucky " cpu chip or not, as cpus aren't created equally due to the manufacturing process. As a result, you may need to increase the voltage higher as compared to another cpu which is the same to get the same overclock, or you may not be able to get your desired overclock at all.

For the cpu cooler, get the Noctua NH-D15, the successor the the NH-D14. It is one of the best cpu air coolers out there, beating some liquid coolers.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

there's still a chance it won't work

There is, but very low

that's the 0.001% :)

Surely a bigger chance than that.

Sig under construction.

I ain't no scientist.

Nor am I, but 0.001% is...one in a hundred thousand? I can't think.

There are more nonoverclockable k-sku chips than a few dozen

Sig under construction.

I am not planning to play Triple A titles, so The 960 is fine for me.

Then why do you need so much CPU power?

Sig under construction.

.... i was obviously talking about overclockable skus...

Yes, so was I.

Sig under construction.

Although the part picker says it's only over 300w I've found that my 960 goes over that, so if you want those high clock speed your cpu wattage will be higher aswell, in my opinion I don't think a 650w will be enough if you want a stable over clock especially at 4.8ghz

Overclocking isn't the most important thing for me I was just wondering if I could overclock with this.