Xbox One controller vs PS4 controller

MrTickle

Xbox One

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

PS controllers. Like everyone that chooses for the layout, I prefer and feel more comfortable with the Sony layout over the Microsoft one. I've used the Xbox and it feels more awkward. That being said, if forced upon me and my primary use was the Xbox One I would probably (in the end) praise the Xbox controller. I've lived and breathed the PS controllers that it biases my decision. But is that not the norm??

Xbox Controllers are always my favourite, I've got big hands, so I need the larger controller, also that thumbstick position is perfect for me.

Defiantly Xbox Controller. Its not natural to hold your thumbs at the same level (ie with the PlayStation analog sticks).

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

Off topic but I feel really old seeing someone talking about learning something about a dual shock "as a kid". I was legally drinking when that thing came out.

...and you're currently a "Junior Member". LOL. Honestly, I'm in the same boat.  :wacko:

always prefered xbox controller, feels so much naturaly.i like the boulkiness. the ps controller feels like its tiny and breakable

dualshock because i have theletters on the buttons mapped out in my head and i can't aim with the xbox joysticks position

If I have to use a controller, the Xbox controllers have always been my preferred layout. It just works a lot better for me than any PS controller ever has.

| AMD FX-8350 @4.6 || Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3(Stay away from this MOBO) || AMD Radeon HD 7950 @1100/1400 || G.SKILL Aries 16GB @1600 |

| ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SSD(OS) || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Sound Card|| XSPC Raystorm EX240 D5 WC Kit |

|CORSAIR HX750 750W || Modded NZXT Phantom |

Xbox controller, mainly because i like how the analogue sticks are laid out, but also because the PS3 controller feels really light and flimsy. Sometimes wonder whether i could actually just snap a ps3 controller in two with my hands

just another thing none of us i doubt have held either controller just the last gen controllers so the title makes most people's arguments invalid

the xb one controller is in my opinion better because of the joysticks and the size of the controller. The ps4 controller is very small and I don't like the joysticks being convex and so close to each other because my thumbs sometimes touch.

I personally like the Xbox controllers, because they are much larger for big hands, and I feel they are better built. As for the next gen controllers, I still feel that i will like the Xbox one, it still looks much bigger. I have nothing against the PS controller but they are just too small.

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

I like the xbox controller layout better, however the sticks have always bothered me. The concave tops on the xbox sticks are ridiculous and make my fingers hurt compared to the nice round tops of the PS controllers. 

Xbox for functionality, PS for comfort. 

WHY?
sku_208270_1.jpg

MUCH BETTER

sku_72284_2.jpg

The 360 controller is pretty darn comfortable for someone with smaller hands, since it's nice and curved with no sharp edges, unlike the PS3 controller. I don't hate the latter, I just like the 360 layout more, and I'm really excited for the ONE controller, should feel great on my PS3 and in my PC.

Xbox One controller for sure. If people were complaining about it not being different enough, that's not a bad thing. The Xbox 360 is my all-time favorite controller right now. Great native compatibility with Windows, good size, and (in my opinion) a more favorable analog stick layout. Xbox One's can only be better.

To defend both sides, my critical flaws for last generation:

Xbox 360's D-pad was pretty terrible; you'd almost always press the wrong direction.

PS3's triggers were just awful. I can't even play driving games on a PS3 because the triggers were convex.

So even if I may prefer one over another, I'm super excited for both controllers since they each fix these issues.

I have a legitimate reason to prefer the Playstation's controller layout over the Xbox's layout.

I learned this as a kid, and I have used it ever since. If you take your left index finger and move it to the D-pad on the PS controller, you can control the left and right Thumbstick, the D-pad, both sets of shoulder buttons, AND the right 4 buttons all at once.

You cannot do that with the Xbox's controller layout because you cannot adequately control the left thumbstick with anything other than a thumb (such as your index finger) and because the controller is too big. 

You might say "Well, why would you want to control all those things at once?" Simple. Complicated games.

Specifically, my favorite game ever. Kingdom Hearts. The D-pad and Right Analog stick both control the command menu. Since KH is an Action RPG, and is a Hack 'N' Slash game, you need that level of dexterity to be awesome at it. Or rather, it helps a looot.

Especially considering the fact that you have to use the L2/R2/R1 buttons to control the camera. The L1, D-Pad, X/O buttons, and Right Thumb Stick for command menu, and so on.

You get the idea. It enables me to be more dexterous in certain games. I like it. It helps in CoD too when I want to activate a killstreak or change my rate of fire while sprinting and diving/shooting/throwing a grenade/etc. 

If you think this is a silly reason, explain macros. Extra Mouse Buttons. Ergonomic keyboards (not for the actual ergonomic effect, but for faster reaction time and more key presses, faster). Cherry MX Reds. Again, you get the idea.

I wanted to add on to this post this realization I had:

I can utilized every single button on the PS controller using the method I mentioned in that post. Basically, my left middle finger presses L1, left ring finger L2, left Index finger D-pad, left thumb Left thumbstick, and the exact same setup on the opposite side. 

This effectively means I can press any button on the PS controller while simultaneously pressing any and all other buttons on the controller at the same time. 

I cannot do this on the Xbox controller, firstly due to size, and secondly due to thumbstick layout as using your index finger for a thumbstick just ends in failure.

PS wins in functionality and comfort for me.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I own a PS3, but I also have an Xbox controller for the PC. The Xbox controller feels so much better - bigger and sturdier. Sony's controller is weird and I found a more slippery (THAT'S THE WORD). The only thing the PS controller is better at is the D-Pad, how on earth could Microsoft fail so much with that D-Pad?

I'd say the PS3 controllers layout was great but the size just isnt that great for people with big hands (mine were near perfect) but the PS4 controller will most likely be a tad larger so I think it is a better choice. Only reason I would use an xbox controller is for compatibility on PC.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I like the dualshocks better. I've heard nothing but good things about the dualshock 4 from the people who have had hands on with the controller. So Playstation.

...and you're currently a "Junior Member". LOL. Honestly, I'm in the same boat.  :wacko:

Do I get brownie points for joining in the first few days, though?

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

PS controllers always seemed small and have a terrible layout IMO... Xbox controllers always felt more natural, layout is great and it feels comfortable in my hand.

My favorite is the mouse and keyboard, but when I have to use a controller I prefer the xbox 360 controller.