Overclocking on the 5820K Asus mobos

Hi, So im in the market now and my options for motherboards are the ASUS Sabertooth x99 and the x99 Pro. I know they both have a good bios for manual overclocking and what not, but what would some of you experience users say about these boards?  Is the overclocking better on the sabertooth ? My old Gigabyte gaming 5 reached 4.4ghz with a voltage of 1.25 but that board died on me with it's pcie ports and sata ports.. 

Has anyone tried the ASUS 5 way optimization overclocking software  ? How great is it? and is it something like use at your own risk or did ASUS make the program to ensure stability and longevity for your cpu and motherboard?

I know manual overclocking is best but I just want to do something quick and easy this time around, Unless the 5 way is complete crap

NEVER EVER EVER use automatic overclocking... It is bad on ASUS it is bad on everyone.

You want something quick and easy? This is haswell so basically if it worked on the gaming 5 it will work fine on the Asus...

Just plug in 4.4/1.25 and never think about it again.

I has the sabertooth, I checked out the automatic overclocking for lolz and I walked away so disgusted I had to spend a huge amount of time fixing the damn thing.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have the Deluxe (essentially the Pro) and the Sabertooth. Clocks achievable between the two are identical (both have OC sockets). The only thing an OC socket will do for you is allow you to OC the cache higher. Meaningless in most real world tests, just be aware that the "OC socket" marketing material is really only just that.

The feature sets between the two are more important, if the PCIe lane assignments on the Pro are similar to the Deluxe they will offer more flexibility with using SLI configs and extra PCIe devices (M.2, sound cards, cap cards, etc.) as the Sabertooth is somewhat restrictive (disabled PCIe x16 lane with M.2 enabled).

Do not use any kind of software OCing, this is universal regardless of manufacturer. Almost all will over-volt unnecessarily low clocks. Take the time to learn manual OCing. Will 5 way opt work? yes. Will you achieve the best possible results for your particular chip? Probably not.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I have the Deluxe (essentially the Pro) and the Sabertooth. Clocks achievable between the two are identical (both have OC sockets). The only thing an OC socket will do for you is allow you to OC the cache higher. Meaningless in most real world tests, just be aware that the "OC socket" marketing material is really only just that.

The feature sets between the two are more important, if the PCIe lane assignments on the Pro are similar to the Deluxe they will offer more flexibility with using SLI configs and extra PCIe devices (M.2, sound cards, cap cards, etc.) as the Sabertooth is somewhat restrictive (disabled PCIe x16 lane with M.2 enabled).

Do not use any kind of software OCing, this is universal regardless of manufacturer. Almost all will over-volt unnecessarily low clocks. Take the time to learn manual OCing. Will 5 way opt work? yes. Will you achieve the best possible results for your particular chip? Probably not.

Sabertooth has 11 fan headers... that's a huge plus in my book. (assuming you don't have a fan controller lol.

I think the pro has the same pcie stupidity as the sabertooth.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

NEVER EVER EVER use automatic overclocking... It is bad on ASUS it is bad on everyone.

You want something quick and easy? This is haswell so basically if it worked on the gaming 5 it will work fine on the Asus...

Just plug in 4.4/1.25 and never think about it again.

I has the sabertooth, I checked out the automatic overclocking for lolz and I walked away so disgusted I had to spend a huge amount of time fixing the damn thing.

Could you give some ss or what you did to achieve to you oc, if you still have one. Just with the gigabyte board I used a youtube overclocking tutorial which changed basically show an extensive overclock I think, that changed so many different things and it took me like 30+ hours to get the overclock, I know i sound kinda lazy but  the truth is i AM Lol..... I took a glanced at Linus' overclock tutorial but people are saying his overclocking is not the greatest for long term.

Hi, So im in the market now and my options for motherboards are the ASUS Sabertooth x99 and the x99 Pro. I know they both have a good bios for manual overclocking and what not, but what would some of you experience users say about these boards?  Is the overclocking better on the sabertooth ? My old Gigabyte gaming 5 reached 4.4ghz with a voltage of 1.25 but that board died on me with it's pcie ports and sata ports.. 

Has anyone tried the ASUS 5 way optimization overclocking software  ? How great is it? and is it something like use at your own risk or did ASUS make the program to ensure stability and longevity for your cpu and motherboard?

I know manual overclocking is best but I just want to do something quick and easy this time around, Unless the 5 way is complete crap

Jayztwocents made a video on it; although I think it was a 5960x...I think. One of Jayz comments was that while it wasn't as far as it might be able to go (Low 4 GHz) it saved hours and hours of tweaking and did a good job of it.

Shipping sucks

Sabertooth has 11 fan headers... that's a huge plus in my book. (assuming you don't have a fan controller lol.

I think the pro has the same pcie stupidity as the sabertooth.

Deluxe comes with a fan extension card, assumed the Pro might (or at least it should).

I'm sure it does, but has +1 x16 lane on us :( I was barely able to cram in my hyperkit behind the bottom 970 for my 750 SSD.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Yeah that's true but uh would a PCIE intel 750 disable one of the other pie lanes?  I just found a great deal from my friend for another 980 ti strix since he is short on cash for school he is selling me his 980 ti strix for 600, 

and could you show me what your oc settings or what guide you used ?

and with your sabertooth, overclocking on that board isn't hazardous or that harmful on the cpu right ? I read some comments online that the sabertooth fried their cpus but i pressure its their user error 

Could you give some ss or what you did to achieve to you oc, if you still have one. Just with the gigabyte board I used a youtube overclocking tutorial which changed basically show an extensive overclock I think, that changed so many different things and it took me like 30+ hours to get the overclock, I know i sound kinda lazy but  the truth is i AM Lol..... I took a glanced at Linus' overclock tutorial but people are saying his overclocking is not the greatest for long term.

Ok scroll down to multiplier... hit 44 (sync all cores)

Find the voltage modifier then change it from auto to adaptive.

type in 1.1 for the base, and .15 for the turbo (total is 1.25)

Then hit f10 and you are done.

Literally cannot be easier if you already know what is stable on another board.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Deluxe comes with a fan extension card, assumed the Pro might (or at least it should).

I'm sure it does, but has +1 x16 lane on us :( I was barely able to cram in my hyperkit behind the bottom 970 for my 750 SSD.

True, I know it can't do 3 way on the 5820k which made me mad... The hyperkit shit just... whatever asus...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Yeah that's true but uh would a PCIE intel 750 disable one of the other pie lanes?  I just found a great deal from my friend for another 980 ti strix since he is short on cash for school he is selling me his 980 ti strix for 600, 

and could you show me what your oc settings or what guide you used ?

and with your sabertooth, overclocking on that board isn't hazardous or that harmful on the cpu right ? I read some comments online that the sabertooth fried their cpus but i pressure its their user error 

I can upload my BIOS caps, but you will not want to use them OTB. 3000MHz kit requires 125 strap, and I'm ridiculously volted to stay at 4.625. I also had to increase my sys agent and VCCIO CPU to get it stable at this strap.

On second thought, it may just be easier for me to make a mock trial OC for you. Let me hunt down a thumb drive to format.

Ok scroll down to multiplier... hit 44 (sync all cores)

Find the voltage modifier then change it from auto to adaptive.

type in 1.1 for the base, and .15 for the turbo (total is 1.25)

Then hit f10 and you are done.

Literally cannot be easier if you already know what is stable on another board.

I presume stable to be able to pass the ROG real bench stress  test for 10+ hours? I use to use Prime 95 and have it run 24 hours for a stress test on my i7 3770k but as Linus stated prime 95 is dangerous for has well E

I can upload my BIOS caps, but you will not want to use them OTB. 3000MHz kit requires 125 strap, and I'm ridiculously volted to stay at 4.625. I also had to increase my sys agent and VCCIO CPU to get it stable at this strap.

On second thought, it may just be easier for me to make a mock trial OC for you. Let me hunt down a thumb drive to format.

WOW huge thank you from me ! I'm Glad that I stumbled on to this forum, 

I presume stable to be able to pass the ROG real bench stress  test for 10+ hours? I use to use Prime 95 and have it run 24 hours for a stress test on my i7 3770k but as Linus stated prime 95 is dangerous for has well E

if it worked on the other board I personally guarantee you it will work on this one...

Haswell-E has literally the second lowest variance based on motherboard of any modern computer architecture (just after devils canyon but notably before haswell)

Seriously though, you can do the 5 lines I told you and less than 1/100 chance it fails. If it does magically just make it so the adaptive total is 1.3V instead.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

WOW huge thank you from me ! I'm Glad that I stumbled on to this forum, 

Set your XMP profile first on the main screen. Everything else above the CPU information can just be left on Auto for now unless you're running a higher speed kit that requires a BCLK strap of 125, then you'll need to do some fiddling (although enabling XMP should do this by default for you).

Core Settings:

post-115561-0-15207000-1452122452_thumb.

Voltage Settings:

post-115561-0-61922100-1452122533_thumb.

LLC enabling. ASUS uses the #1-10, 5 has never been too drastic for me and usually yields acceptable results.

post-115561-0-65800000-1452122578_thumb.

Ignore ALL the values in the black boxes! Those are my currently set values for my chip and RAM kit. It could ruin your day.

Set your XMP profile first on the main screen. Everything else above the CPU information can just be left on Auto for now unless you're running a higher speed kit that requires a BCLK strap of 125, then you'll need to do some fiddling (although enabling XMP should do this by default for you).

Core Settings:

attachicon.gifcores.jpg

Voltage Settings:

attachicon.gifvoltages.jpg

LLC enabling. ASUS uses the #1-10, 5 has never been too drastic for me and usually yields acceptable results.

attachicon.gifLLC.jpg

Ignore ALL the values in the black boxes! Those are my currently set values for my chip and RAM kit. It could ruin your day.

Sorry if I sound like a noobie but why did you do some changes to cpu LLC ? I thought it was better to have that kept off for this generation cpu ?

Sorry if I sound like a noobie but why did you do some changes to cpu LLC ? I thought it was better to have that kept off for this generation cpu ?

Load Line Calibration is useful for every generation of CPU while OCing. It alleviates vDroop while the CPU is under load. Every board manufacturer handles the LLC controls a little differently (or completely removes them). On the X99 ASUS boards in particular, these are the settings I have used and had good experiences with. The same was true for Z97, Z87, and Z77 for me.

Load Line Calibration is useful for every generation of CPU while OCing. It alleviates vDroop while the CPU is under load. Every board manufacturer handles the LLC controls a little differently (or completely removes them). On the X99 ASUS boards in particular, these are the settings I have used and had good experiences with. The same was true for Z97, Z87, and Z77 for me.

oh okay that makes sense, one last question, did you use offset voltage or are those settings 1.3 V full time ?

oh okay that makes sense, one last question, did you use offset voltage or are those settings 1.3 V full time ?

I'm assuming you mean adaptive, but I use these settings as manual full time -personal preference.

Always leave your voltage on manual for initial stability testing, then move to adaptive after you have achieved a stable clock you're happy with.