Some questions about a lot of things to do with CPUs, MOBOs and RAM

Hi there, first time posting here.

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if I'm unable to post here or something :/

EDIT: I know this is long but I don't really know how else to word it.

Specs:

CPU: I7 6700k

MOBO: Z170-A (ASUS)

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance

PSU: Corsair CX 700w Modular

GPU: Asus Strix 970

My computer will probably crash whilst writing this as it has once before and I don't think the forum has an autosaving feature.

Let's get on with it. So today I bought, installed and am now using an i7 6700k, Asus Z170-A and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance. Now the installation process was golden, couldn't have gone any better that. My first time installing everything on my own, I took my sweet time. (Last time I installed my CPU I bent a couple of pins). This is something that needs to be noted, previously I had an AMD 8350 and the 990FXA with a 970; my drives consisted of 120GB SSD and some random 1.5TB HDD. (This is important because I think this is the cause of these crashes).

Once the computer posted, windows begun to "Configure devices", I was guessing it was the drives being formatted or something so I left, all was fine. I got into windows, installed all of the utilities including Ai Suite 3. I knew it had some kind of overclocking feature included with it. I used the overclock software and it clocked to 4.9 GHz before it crashed. After the crash I thought that was the only crash I would get. I just launched Rust and started playing it for about 10 mins then everything just froze. Stopped working, I hard booted and then the computer would turn on but not POST (I think), it had no display, I looked online and it said it was possible I fried the board or something, a post said that it's possible the heatsink was touching the board or case. I moved one of the fans on the heatsink up a bit (NH D-15) and just double checked the RAM was in correctly. I launched again, and it started! I was ecstatic; thinking that was the end of it. I turned off the overclocking. 10 minutes later, I was writing this post and it crashed again. This time it launched and then there was an error with the drives. I think the BIOS wasn't detecting my boot drive, I went into the BIOS and then I saw the Kingston SSD wasn't in the boot selector, I just force booted from the SSD and it's all dandy.

So my main question is:

• Do I have to reinstall my OS (which I thought you did have to and I can't find anything really worth reading on the internet).

• Is my CPU throttling and causing the crashes or is it also linked to the OS issues?

It has been on for 30 mins now and I haven't crashed, no intensive apps launched, just had a stream on in the background of writing this.

Thanks,
Kyle.

-CX 700w

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I'm aware the CX 700w is pretty poor I've seen a lot of thing's about the CX series.

I'm aware the CX 700w is pretty poor I've seen a lot of thing's about the CX series.

If you have another PSU to test with i would do that.

If you have another PSU to test with i would do that.

Unfortunately. not to hand. If I were to buy another one for this system what would you recommend?

Yes you should have reinstalled the OS but i doubt that is the issue here.

Have you stress tested the OC? What with?

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Unfortunately. not to hand. If I were to buy another one for this system what would you recommend?

I am guessing your are in the states?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $108.99

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 12:28 EST-0500

Have you stress tested the OC? What with?

Ai Suite 3's software stress tests it, as far as I am aware. I wasn't able to run any stress testing before it started to crash. I don't mind not overclocking the processor (for now), it still runs 3 / 4 times better than before.

I am guessing your are in the states?

Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $108.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 12:28 EST-0500

Actually, I'm English :D

Any SeaSonic or XFX unit.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Actually, I'm English :D

Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£97.30 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £97.30

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 17:30 GMT+0000

Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£97.30 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £97.30

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 17:30 GMT+0000

Cheers :D

Any SeaSonic or XFX unit.

I haven't heard of either of these companies before, I will have a look at them. Thank you :D

Cheers :D

I haven't heard of either of these companies before, I will have a look at them. Thank you :D

Ignore my post CCL don't have any 850w versions availble, you can go 620w however.

Great unit mate, you could power a nuclear station off it and it won't ever break on you.

Great unit mate, you could power a nuclear station off it and it won't ever break on you.

Any clue on reinstalling the OS or the issues with the BIOS not detecting the SSD ?

Any clue on reinstalling the OS or the issues with the BIOS not detecting the SSD ?

The only reason i looked at your PSU is that bad power supplies can cause random crashes and even kill hardware.

You are running some expensive kit and i would hate to see it die due to Corsair's shit marketing.

I suggest you reset your bios, and do not touch anything to do with overclocking, set your ram to XMP profile in the bios, set up your boot configuration too.

If Windows is old, reinstall it.

Well, I'm running Win10, I installed that as soon as Win10 came out, I selected to delete everything but it didn't so I'd say the OS is about 1 year old. I'll reinstall it regardless, been wanting to do so for a while.

-CX 700w

Not really a bad PSU/Don't make me beat you with a stick....I mean, show you a well informed post proving you wrong.

Well, I'm running Win10, I installed that as soon as Win10 came out, I selected to delete everything but it didn't so I'd say the OS is about 1 year old. I'll reinstall it regardless, been wanting to do so for a while.

It might be good to inform us exactly how it crashes. Just turns off, blue screen? Etc.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Not really a bad PSU/Don't make me beat you with a stick....I mean, show you a well informed post proving you wrong.

It might be good to inform us exactly how it crashes. Just turns off, blue screen? Etc.

I will be in a game or something and it all freezes, I have a K70 Rgb and M65 Rgb and they freeze as well. But it's still on, fans spinning just the rest of it is gone. But when I hard boot it, they stay on but wont animate.