CPU Upgrade, Geared Towards Gaming

Right now I have a 1080p monitor, an SSD, a R7 370, and a really crap CPU. The i3-2120 is not doing it for me. In fallout 4 I get drops down to 19FPS and up to 40 sporadically. (the cores of my pc run at 90% in all my games and my GPU never goes above 60%)  I know my GPU isnt the best, and I'm planning to get an upgrade to that in a few months when i start working again. I have 250$ to spend. I was thinking of getting either the FX-6300 or FX-8350, because no i5 is within my price range. The reason it isnt is because an i5-4460, the cheapest 4th gen + a decent motherboard would be 300$. Any advice? are those AMD cpu's good for today games? Im not looking for top notch performance, just something that wont bottleneck my GPU, and give a smooth playable experience. (the cores of my pc run at 90% in all my games and my GPU never goes above 60%) 

Well if you can't afford i5's a new i3 would be the next thing.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Right now I have a 1080p monitor, an SSD, a R7 370, and a really crap CPU. The i3-2120 is not doing it for me. In fallout 4 I get drops down to 19FPS and up to 40 sporadically. (the cores of my pc run at 90% in all my games and my GPU never goes above 60%)  I know my GPU isnt the best, and I'm planning to get an upgrade to that in a few months when i start working again. I have 250$ to spend. I was thinking of getting either the FX-6300 or FX-8350, because no i5 is within my price range. The reason it isnt is because an i5-4460, the cheapest 4th gen + a decent motherboard would be 300$. Any advice? are those AMD cpu's good for today games? Im not looking for top notch performance, just something that wont bottleneck my GPU, and give a smooth playable experience. (the cores of my pc run at 90% in all my games and my GPU never goes above 60%) 

You in the US?  

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $242.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 12:16 EST-0500

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

I have 250$ to spend. I was thinking of getting either the FX-6300 or FX-8350, because no i5 is within my price range. The reason it isnt is because an i5-4460, the cheapest 4th gen + a decent motherboard would be 300$. Any advice? are those AMD cpu's good for today games?

yes, wait until you have 300$ to spend and get that i5 instead...AMD FX cpu are old and inneficient and not really good for gaming.

An FX wouldnt limit the performance of your 370...but it will limit your next GPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Save up and get a i7, anything less will be a disappointment

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Save up and get a i7, anything less will be a disappointment

...for fallout 4 and some other poorly optimised games.

Cause in the vast majority of cases the i5-4460 is more than enough.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

...for fallout 4 and some other poorly optimised games.

Cause in the vast majority of cases the i5-4460 is more than enough.

Exactly, enough. Which means it will soon not be. The i7 is the better investment.

You in the US?  

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $242.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 12:16 EST-0500

Looking to buy from local retailer, easier to return and or troubleshoot. also i was looking at ATX boards for future upgradeability for more GPU's and or ram.

Looking to buy from local retailer, easier to return and or troubleshoot. also i was looking at ATX boards for future upgradeability for more GPU's and or ram.

The ATX version is only a few dollars more expensive.  If something goes wrong with whatever you buy from your local retailer, they probably won't do anything about it.  They'll tell you to RMA it.  That's what you would do if you bought online anyways.  

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

The ATX version is only a few dollars more expensive. If something goes wrong with whatever you buy from your local retailer, they probably won't do anything about it. They'll tell you to RMA it. That's what you would do if you bought online anyways.

Not true. I pay a little more and buy from Frys because they do returns no questions asked.

Not true. I pay a little more and buy from Frys because they do returns no questions asked.

Really?  Frys fucked me over on a motherboard that didn't work once...

You can grab a used 3770 /3570k for pretty cheap on your mobo, it wlil cost you max $250-$200 and will last you forever even if you don't Overclock.

Same with my microcenter. the guys there are cool.

You can grab a used 3770 /3570k for pretty cheap on your mobo, it wlil cost you max $250-$200 and will last you forever even if you don't Overclock.

Noooot looking for sandy or ivy bridge. also i dont need that kind of power. not rendering, not recording. just some heavy gaming.

Really? Frys fucked me over on a motherboard that didn't work once...

Not mine. I bought a 140mm case fan once only realize the space for the fan was only 120mm. They traded it out for me and I even got the difference in cash back.

I've spent thousands there though. Loyalty goes both ways ;)

Noooot looking for sandy or ivy bridge. also i dont need that kind of power. not rendering, not recording. just some heavy gaming.

How much do you wanna spend though, because with an i3-2xxx i assume you already have a mobo to fit those sandy or ivy i7s which are still better than a i5-4460 for gaming

Not mine. I bought a 140mm case fan once only realize the space for the fan was only 120mm. They traded it out for me and I even got the difference in cash back.

I've spent thousands there though. Loyalty goes both ways ;)

I guess that kinda sucks for me then..... It's okay because they went out of business a couple months after that happened.

I guess that kinda sucks for me then..... It's okay because they went out of business a couple months after that happened.

Mines a mad house lol. I live in Vegas and our Frys will never die because people on vacation from overseas shop there for cheap parts. Sold my 390 outside the front doors for retail used for that reason. Only thing better would be if we got a Micro Center.

How much do you wanna spend though, because with an i3-2xxx i assume you already have a mobo to fit those sandy or ivy i7s which are still better than a i5-4460 for gaming

it is a LGA1155, but i really want to upgrade my mobo if i can. It doesnt have any overclocking potential and only 2 non controllable fan headers, with no USB3 to speak of.

Exactly, enough. Which means it will soon not be.

A Haswell or Skylake Core i5 is a lot more than "enough" for most games, especially if you're only going to be shooting for 60 FPS.

A Haswell or Skylake Core i5 is a lot more than "enough" for most games, especially if you're only going to be shooting for 60 FPS.

then getting a 4460 and a mobo with the features i want will be sufficient? 

I'm going to wear out this video.

then getting a 4460 and a mobo with the features i want will be sufficient? 

I would say get a cheaper end z170 Mobo + i5 6500 or i5 6400.

The non k chips are overclockable now on Skylake, you get a newer chipset, DDR4 Ram which will stay for years now + maybe USB 3.1 depending on Mobo. It will surely cost more than H81 + 4460 but it will be worth the little extra money spent because of the OC Potential. 

Most people got their i5 6400 from 2.7 to 4.4 Ghz no problemo

I'm going to wear out this video.

Thiiiiiis tells me literally nothing. Yay intel can get this fps in this benchmark against other intels. why is this relevant?

I would say get a cheaper end z170 Mobo + i5 6500 or i5 6400.

The non k chips are overclockable now on Skylake, you get a newer chipset, DDR4 Ram which will stay for years now + maybe USB 3.1 depending on Mobo. It will surely cost more than H81 + 4460 but it will be worth the little extra money spent because of the OC Potential. 

Most people got their i5 6400 from 2.7 to 4.4 Ghz no problemo

So now im buying DDR4 RAM too? i have 200$ and i can possibly get 250$. I have DDR3.