Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I bought a Ducky Shine 3 TKL recently, but missed the number pad on full keyboards, so I sold it to my friend and got the full version instead. And God, it's so pretty.

Sorry for formatting, I'm on my phone.

post-21359-0-94446900-1389381587_thumb.j

hmmm lets see how to word this.

My keyboard is a custom diy hand wired keyboard with mx blacks. Its basically a deck82 built with parts from a m2c-tg3-tp keyboard that is used in police cars using the plate switches and keycaps. Controller is a teensy 2.0 running TMK keyboard firmware that i modified for my matrix layout and key layout. Also have a custom keycap on my escape made from a stainless steel bolt and a simple open aluminum case that is plasti dipped(front started to peel off) for it right now but i intend to make a new case for it at some point

vRXWYyA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UC1j9zB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i7f6wLn.jpg

hmmm lets see how to word this.

My keyboard is a custom diy hand wired keyboard with mx blacks. Its basically a deck82 built with parts from a m2c-tg3-tp keyboard that is used in police cars using the plate switches and keycaps. Controller is a teensy 2.0 running TMK keyboard firmware that i modified for my matrix layout and key layout. Also have a custom keycap on my escape made from a stainless steel bolt and a simple open aluminum case that is plasti dipped(front started to peel off) for it right now but i intend to make a new case for it at some point

vRXWYyA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UC1j9zB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i7f6wLn.jpg

That is quite... interesting. ;)

That is quite... interesting. ;)

not sure if you are giving me shit or not lol. lets put it this way a deck 82 cost $130 on amazon i built this for $50. i would like to get new keycaps for it but all the mod keys are odd sizes like 1.25x1  sift keys and caps  1x1 alt, ctrl, tab and windows key 1.5x1 back space and one then a 1.75x1 enter

not sure if you are giving me shit or not lol. lets put it this way a deck 82 cost $130 on amazon i built this for $50. i would like to get new keycaps for it but all the mod keys are odd sizes like 1.25x1  sift keys and caps  1x1 alt, ctrl, tab and windows key 1.5x1 back space and one then a 1.75x1 enter

Nope not giving you shit but that was the best comment I could come up with really. It is interesting, I also understand the difficulty of what you did as I have done some of that quite a while back.

I think the case looks fine I would get the plasti dip off and either get it anodized or use some metal metal paint on it.

As for the keycaps i would check out wasd and send him and email because if you can make the template he will custom print just about any set of caps pertaining he has the sizes so you can even make the legends match your modified layout. A example is below.

IMG_2444-r-h.jpg

Nope not giving you shit but that was the best comment I could come up with really. It is interesting, I also understand the difficulty of what you did as I have done some of that quite a while back.

I think the case looks fine I would get the plasti dip off and either get it anodized or use some metal metal paint on it.

As for the keycaps i would check out wasd and send him and email because if you can make the template he will custom print just about any set of caps pertaining he has the sizes so you can even make the legends match your modified layout. A example is below.

Ya the plasti dip was a bad move it started coming off in the first month of uses if i didnt plan to make a better case for it i would take of off and paint it but as it is i don't plan to keep it so i see no point it in.

i will have to keep that in mind about emailing them as i would even be fine with blanks if i could get a full set for not that much money but trying to find keys that are all the right sizes and shapes for the rows seems harder then it should be. As it is right now the keys are all flat and i kind of like that (i can place a ruler from top to bottom and they are flat but contoured from side to side) so i can move my keys around but most keycaps change by the row

Ya the plasti dip was a bad move it started coming off in the first month of uses if i didnt plan to make a better case for it i would take of off and paint it but as it is i don't plan to keep it so i see no point it in.

i will have to keep that in mind about emailing them as i would even be fine with blanks if i could get a full set for not that much money but trying to find keys that are all the right sizes and shapes for the rows seems harder then it should be. As it is right now the keys are all flat and i kind of like that (i can place a ruler from top to bottom and they are flat but contoured from side to side) so i can move my keys around but most keycaps change by the row

The should have everything but possibly the CAPS, LShift, and Enter but even if those three keys would be off by one row its not that bad. The Return on the picture I posted above is actually a R1 key not a R2 and after a bit of use you dont notice it and it kind actually helped to find the return being that its so small. Also forgot he wil just sell blanks as well you ca get them right off his site individually but it would probably be cheaper to contact him since youd be getting a whole keyboard's worth basically.

And i know how the keycaps are they are like that on all desk and TG3 boards for some reason. The nice thing at least is that their double shot dyesub PBT from what I recall.

He you remapped anything about the board?

The should have everything but possibly the CAPS, LShift, and Enter but even if those three keys would be off by one row its not that bad. The Return on the picture I posted above is actually a R1 key not a R2 and after a bit of use you dont notice it and it kind actually helped to find the return being that its so small. Also forgot he wil just sell blanks as well you ca get them right off his site individually but it would probably be cheaper to contact him since youd be getting a whole keyboard's worth basically.

And i know how the keycaps are they are like that on all desk and TG3 boards for some reason. The nice thing at least is that their double shot dyesub PBT from what I recall.

He you remapped anything about the board?

ya i moved the normal layout around(are you asking because there is a keycap set for the board somewhere?)  and they are double shots

orignal keylayout(not my photo)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3396/tg3logo01.jpg

my layout

http://i.imgur.com/vRXWYyA.jpg

ya i moved the normal layout around(are you asking because there is a keycap set for the board somewhere?)  and they are double shots

orignal keylayout(not my photo)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3396/tg3logo01.jpg

my layout

http://i.imgur.com/vRXWYyA.jpg

No im asking because you used a teensy and whenever I have a programmable board I move stuff around to more my liking.

I see the few changes there I would have probably gone a bit crazier since I prefer embedded arrows and ctrl where caps is and stuff like that.

Did you manage to retain the LED lighting?

No im asking because you used a teensy and whenever I have a programmable board I move stuff around to more my liking.

I see the few changes there I would have probably gone a bit crazier since I prefer embedded arrows and ctrl where caps is and stuff like that.

Did you manage to retain the LED lighting?

no i was far to lazy at the time i do have all the leds so i can do it but i don't really want my keyboard to light up as i would turn it off at night anyways since its in my bedroom. I also have a few different layers that change some times around but i don't really use them as much. The only thing i don't like with the layout as i have it now and as the decks are normally is home next to backspace as i always hit home trying to hit backspace so it kind of sucks

i went from not owning a mechanical keyboard to seeing slick say something about people making their own keyboards to having made my own mechanical keyboard in less then a month so i was on the fast track on making the keyboard so i didn't really take the time to do the led back lighting as it wasn't something i even cared about 

no i was far to lazy at the time i do have all the leds so i can do it but i don't really want my keyboard to light up as i would turn it off at night anyways since its in my bedroom. I also have a few different layers that change some times around but i don't really use them as much. The only thing i don't like with the layout as i have it now and as the decks are normally is home next to backspace as i always hit home trying to hit backspace so it kind of sucks

i went from not owning a mechanical keyboard to seeing slick say something about people making their own keyboards to having made my own mechanical keyboard in less then a month so i was on the fast track on making the keyboard so i didn't really take the time to do the led back lighting as it wasn't something i even cared about

its cool I was just wondering about it because you could do PWM control and possibly some cool things if you used a teensy to control the LEDs.

I could see how that placement could be a bit bad if your used to its normal placement. I usually have backspace where backslash is personally.

No matter how much I try to justify it in my mind, a part of me is in agony at the fact that I learned about the Corsair-Cherry RGB keyboard after I bought my Vengeance K70. If it comes out, it's well-received, and I find the price tag attractive, I will be very sad. :(

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

its cool I was just wondering about it because you could do PWM control and possibly some cool things if you used a teensy to control the LEDs.

I could see how that placement could be a bit bad if your used to its normal placement. I usually have backspace where backslash is personally.

ya that is the reason i did save the leds but i don't know of a keyboard firmware that has led control in it yet and i only have 4 pins open on the teensy i could do it without a problem with another board or expanding the teensy. i could easily write the code to control the leds with another teensy or arduino board but trying to add it to the tmk firmware is a little above my skill level at the movment

No matter how much I try to justify it in my mind, a part of me is in agony at the fact that I learned about the Corsair-Cherry RGB keyboard after I bought my Vengeance K70. If it comes out, it's well-received, and I find the price tag attractive, I will be very sad. :(

You could return your K70 if still possible and wait for the Corsair RGB keyboard to be released?

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

sorry lol, I say I'm done a lot, inside joke with my friends hehe

KMACs and GONs are at the top of my "Only one can dream" Keyboard list, they are so nice..

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

ya that is the reason i did save the leds but i don't know of a keyboard firmware that has led control in it yet and i only have 4 pins open on the teensy i could do it without a problem with another board or expanding the teensy. i could easily write the code to control the leds with another teensy or arduino board but trying to add it to the tmk firmware is a little above my skill level at the movment

understandable and 4 pins should be enough. Why not use another teensy though :P

sorry lol, I say I'm done a lot, inside joke with my friends hehe

KMACs and GONs are at the top of my "Only one can dream" Keyboard list, they are so nice..

Whats a GON?

understandable and 4 pins should be enough. Why not use another teensy though :P

hmmm looks like tmk firmware has some back light control i just don't know how it works  as i didn't even know it was their until today after looking into it

I don't really want to use another teensy as i can make an arduino compatible board with parts i have on hand that would save me about 20$ if i even end up doing it lol

Whats a GON?

Another Korean keyboard. A bit more "bare" and "exposed" and has some cool lighting.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

this

http://gonskeyboardworks.com/

I have one of them, the 38GT, love it

Anyway, there is a group buy currently going for butterfly numpad over GH if anyone is interested

its under $150 :P

I think ive seen those before he might have just been selling them on the forums and now got him self a website? Do you have a link to the numpad the name makes me think its non standard.

Another Korean keyboard. A bit more "bare" and "exposed" and has some cool lighting.

yea it just 2 pieces of alu and some acrylic as far as I can tell. I may have even looked into buying one 6+ months ago.

@Jokrik thanks for the link BTW they have some stuff that waqs harder to find and or only available in korea so this may be quite useful in the future.

My g710+ is godsend but the browns aren't all that quiet.

Well I think of it as a more "refined and precise" two pieces of alu and some acrylic hehe.

So I was looking at QFRs, and on newegg as well as amazon, there are quite a few 1 stars regarding keys not working and paying to ship back for RMAs.

Is ordering from CM directly more reliable and less problematic than other retailers?