Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I have known something like this would come out in time (hence, waiting for it), and it isn't about the LEDs for me, but i do think it is awesome and a fun thing to mess with. The software they are releasing with will be AMAZING if it actually works. Being able to script your own code for it will be a fantastic change of pace. I will now be able to take my keyboard around and use complex macros built into my keyboard rather than the horrid kiddie macro software. I have used AHK forever and it has some limits, as well as needing it to be downloaded on the computer you are using. With this I can just hook up my keyboard and use my LUA scripting to run quick commands and fix basic issues.

Why not just build ypur own keyboard with the teensy. Then you can do what ever you want. Also they have only really focused the full programmability of the leds not the rest of the board.

If you realky want to show them you shouldnt buy it. :P

I also dont get why people have said they have waited forever for this. There have been RGB boards before and im pretty sure most of the people who are going to buy these didnt even know a mechanical keyboard exsosted 3 years ago.

I didn't know until 2 years ago and (unlike a lot of people) didn't complain about the noise of a mech board :P Saw Linus' K90 unboxing and was liek gimmeh summadat. And I subbed to him :3

Does microcenter have mech keyboards with different switches?

I wanna try something other than blues.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Does microcenter have mech keyboards with different switches?

I wanna try something other than blues.

The Microcenter near me carries boards with all sorts of keyboards with mechanical switches to try. 

So im going to be listing my second blue KMAC Mini in the classified's soon. Its need to be rebuilt (PCB and plate swap) so I will be building it as close as I can to what the buyer wants. If anyone wants anymore information please PM me.

Oh la la

I've been looking at customs but most have been too expensive fer meh.

What's the difference between the KMAC and the mini?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Oh la la

I've been looking at customs but most have been too expensive fer meh.

What's the difference between the KMAC and the mini?

Sorry about the wait this is what a KMAC Mini looks like. This is not the one I am selling but the other one and it has my layout not its standard one since its fully programmable.

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Why not just build ypur own keyboard with the teensy. Then you can do what ever you want. Also they have only really focused the full programmability of the leds not the rest of the board.

I have spoken to corsair about it and it will have the full functionality of the LUA scripting language built into it. Also, have you ever built a keyboard from scratch? It is hell (did a membrane one just because i was bored). The only way to make it easier is to make it with an arduino chip or raspberry pi for the on-board storage option. Then you have to get the switches, key caps, pcb, metal plate, and housing. all of that turns out to be around 130-ish to make and about 30-40 hrs of programming at best for me. not worth the time or money for something that isn't as good as something that will be coming out that has extra features.

I have spoken to corsair about it and it will have the full functionality of the LUA scripting language built into it. Also, have you ever built a keyboard from scratch? It is hell (did a membrane one just because i was bored). The only way to make it easier is to make it with an arduino chip or raspberry pi for the on-board storage option. Then you have to get the switches, key caps, pcb, metal plate, and housing. all of that turns out to be around 130-ish to make and about 30-40 hrs of programming at best for me. not worth the time or money for something that isn't as good as something that will be coming out that has extra features.

Isnt the LUA just for the LEDs at least thats what I got from some of the more recent coverage.

actually I have quite a few times. Some from kits a some just from PCBs and project's designed by the community. I never said you had to start from complete scratch as this is not a uncommon thing in the keyboard enthusiast community.

See the above KMAC Mini thats a "kit" which I built and will be rebuilding another for a lucky buyer.

Isnt the LUA just for the LEDs at least thats what I got from some of the more recent coverage.

actually I have quite a few times. Some from kits a some just from PCBs and project's designed by the community. I never said you had to start from complete scratch as this is not a uncommon thing in the keyboard enthusiast community.

See the above KMAC Mini thats a "kit" which I built and will be rebuilding another for a lucky buyer.

Yeah i have only done it from scratch, never took a look at those kits before xD

And no LUA is a very advanced scripting language. It can be used in C# if that gives you a general idea of how versatile it is! It's pretty cool.

Yeah i have only done it from scratch, never took a look at those kits before xD

And no LUA is a very advanced scripting language. It can be used in C# if that gives you a general idea of how versatile it is! It's pretty cool.

You really should. The phantom is probably one of the better known ones and the pcb is pretty readily available.

I know im just saying the only mentioned lua in referance to the leds not the actual programming of the keys themselves.

cost me only $50 to make my keyboard and not that long to program since i started with a firmware that just needed to be edited. Also no back-light because i don't like back-lights

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45761.msg959429#msg959429

7K1Dm9H.jpg

geez I make a keyboard and the one thing everyone likes is the esc keycap I machined out of a stainless bolt lol

Well yeah, the rest of the board is pretty damn cool as well, but that cap really caught my eye.

I'll show you mine... :P

NPBemjR.jpg

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Since here are a lot of people who seem to know what they are talking about, I need help. What should i go for as my first mechanical keyboard? (it will be mostly used for gaming, but im going to also do some programming) Please i need help

Budget: ~150 euros

Since here are a lot of people who seem to know what they are talking about, I need help. What should i go for as my first mechanical keyboard? (it will be mostly used for gaming, but im going to also do some programming) Please i need help

Do you have a switch preference? (If you don't know, I can explain them)

Do you have a brand preference or a style preference (LED lighting, aggressive vs minimalist etc)

Also, if you have any stores nearby that stock mech keyboards, you should go in an try some out to get a feel of what the different switches are like.

A WASDv2 is a good enthusiast keyboard that should fit in the budget.

Do you have a switch preference? (If you don't know, I can explain them)

Do you have a brand preference or a style preference (LED lighting, aggressive vs minimalist etc)

Also, if you have any stores nearby that stock mech keyboards, you should go in an try some out to get a feel of what the different switches are like.

if you can please explain the differences in switches

as for the style it would be nice to have a nice led lighting

if you can please explain the differences in switches

as for the style it would be nice to have a nice led lighting

Ok typing is a very subjective experience. It depends on how heavy or light you type and also how fast you are intending to type. This is just my personal experience with them and others will have other descriptions 

Cherry Blues: These have some give to them. the actuation/click feels like it has it's own spring in it and actually feels like it actuates at a slightly different height every time (pretty dang sure it doesn't but it just feels that way to me). The huge benefit of these is that the release is actually VERY nice feeling and has a click. It kind of feels like the snap of a really light gauge rubber band (With a similar sound and volume). If you are a heavy handed typist then you probably won't feel too much of the aforementioned things but I don't know your typing. The reset time is actually fairly slow compared to the Browns and the Reds (reason why they aren't considered gaming switches).

Cherry Browns: These are fairly similar to browns in the way that they have an actuation bump, but have a totally different feel (besides the click). They are a single piece rather than the blues 2 piece mechanism which makes them feel more solid, but the bump is less noticeable but more solid feeling. If you are a light touch typist like me this bump feels very similar the folding of the membrane magnets in a membrane KB, if you are a heavy typist it does't (from what my friends tell me). These actually are a little quieter than the Reds (from base to top position) because the bump actually slows the momentum down when released with a snap-like motion.

Cherry Reds: I personally use these because i can't stand the sound of the Blues (absurdly loud for me) and don't like the solid feel of the brown's bump. These are fairly flat (linear) feeling switches that have what feels like a more pronounced spring resistance as you get closer to the bottom. If you learn how they feel then you will almost effortlessly be able to tell where the actuation point is and never bottom out unless you want to. This is the same with Blacks.

​Remember i am a very light typist so your mileage may very xD

HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Ok typing is a very subjective experience. It depends on how heavy or light you type and also how fast you are intending to type. This is just my personal experience with them and others will have other descriptions 

Cherry Blues: These have some give to them. the actuation/click feels like it has it's own spring in it and actually feels like it actuates at a slightly different height every time (pretty dang sure it doesn't but it just feels that way to me). The huge benefit of these is that the release is actually VERY nice feeling and has a click. It kind of feels like the snap of a really light gauge rubber band (With a similar sound and volume). If you are a heavy handed typist then you probably won't feel too much of the aforementioned things but I don't know your typing. The reset time is actually fairly slow compared to the Browns and the Reds (reason why they aren't considered gaming switches).

Cherry Browns: These are fairly similar to browns in the way that they have an actuation bump, but have a totally different feel (besides the click). They are a single piece rather than the blues 2 piece mechanism which makes them feel more solid, but the bump is less noticeable but more solid feeling. If you are a light touch typist like me this bump feels very similar the folding of the membrane magnets in a membrane KB, if you are a heavy typist it does't (from what my friends tell me). These actually are a little quieter than the Reds (from base to top position) because the bump actually slows the momentum down when released with a snap-like motion.

Cherry Reds: I personally use these because i can't stand the sound of the Blues (absurdly loud for me) and don't like the solid feel of the brown's bump. These are fairly flat (linear) feeling switches that have what feels like a more pronounced spring resistance as you get closer to the bottom. If you learn how they feel then you will almost effortlessly be able to tell where the actuation point is and never bottom out unless you want to. This is the same with Blacks.

​Remember i am a very light typist so your mileage may very xD

HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Thanks for the info on switches

I don't know what €150 gets you (exchange rates and actual prices differ) but here's some good boards that are LED lit:

Logitech G710+ (white backlight, uses MX brown switches with added sound dampeners)

Corsair Vengeance K70 (red or blue backlight, uses MX red, brown or blue switches)

Ducky Shine 3 (comes in many backlight colours, pretty sure you can choose between blue, brown and red switch as well).

All three are regarded well and have great build quality. Many on this for have a Ducky or the G710+ and I'm saving up for a K70.

Hope thus helps and gives you a place to start :)

Hey guys! Does anyone know where I can find a white-themed mechanical keyboard? I'm from the EU, but I am not afraid of shipping in things from the US if they are truly worth it. 

I'm gonna use it for gaming, primarily. 

White-themed meaning things like white LEDs and a white frame and/or keycaps. 

Thanks in advance! :)

PS.: No strict budget.

Looking for a white-themed full-length mechanical keyboard with a Nordic layout. Please PM if you have a candidate! :)