Speaker cable as electricity wire.

Hi there. I want to know can I use a sewell ghost or flatwire speaker cable as a electricity wire? Because they can be hidden in the wall and no need to drill my wall.

I believe you can as long as you're not pushing a lot of current.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Hi there. I want to know can I use a sewell ghost or flatwire speaker cable as a electricity wire? Because they can be hidden in the wall and no need to drill my wall.

Maybe not for mains electricity, but certainly for low voltage/amperage/wattage.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

All the wires are made of many thin wires inside the cable 1 thin little wire=o.3 Amp.

count them from the wire you want to use and do the math.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I wouldn't use it for mains voltage unless you know what the cable is rated for. Current handling of the wire should be based on it's gauge. A quick google search should give you what you need.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

what if I used it for electricity outlet or air conditioner point?

What electrical supply are you planning to hook up?

If you are referring to mains (230V or 120V AC) then speaker cable is inappropriate for a variety of reasons including safety.

If you want to run a lower voltage at a lower current such as DC power to 12V LEDs or 9V to some other device then you should probably be alright with speaker wire. Look up the gauge of your wire and check what current it can carry to see if it will work.

what if I used it for electricity outlet or air conditioner point?

A mains outlet? Absolutely not. You will need to get some proper mains cable with 3 wires and wire it up to a plug to make sure it is safe.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

What electrical supply are you planning to hook up?

If you are referring to mains (230V or 120V AC) then speaker cable is inappropriate for a variety of reasons including safety.

If you want to run a lower voltage at a lower current such as DC power to 12V LEDs or 9V to some other device then you should probably be alright with speaker wire. Look up the gauge of your wire and check what current it can carry to see if it will work.

A mains outlet? Absolutely not. You will need to get some proper mains cable with 3 wires and wire it up to a plug to make sure it is safe.

No I mean if I sub it out from a power socket as another power socket so that I no need to drill my wall and the speaker wire is 16AWG wide and it is flat.

No I mean if I sub it out from a power socket as another power socket so that I no need to drill my wall and the speaker wire is 16AWG wide and it is flat.

It may be able to handle the mains current, but without a proper fused, switched plug I wouldn't even touch it. Additionally it's only 2 conductors so I would definitely steer clear of using it.

Your best solution would be to get a proper wall socket put in near to the device you want to power an use a properly fused grounded plug.

It may be able to handle the mains current, but without a proper fused, switched plug I wouldn't even touch it. Additionally it's only 2 conductors so I would definitely steer clear of using it.

Your best solution would be to get a proper wall socket put in near to the device you want to power an use a properly fused grounded plug.

-snip-

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by "speaker cable". Judging by that video you should be able to do this just fine. Make sure to check if you need a ground for the device and run the appropriate number of conductors.

It says their cable are actually speaker cable.

It says their cable are actually speaker cable.

They do. I would steer clear of this method for carrying mains electricity.

I can't see a reason that it wouldn't work for power, but personally I wouldn't use this as a power solution.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide if you think it's safe.

I could see going flatwire if your wall is something truly solid like masonry block, or old plaster & lathe; situations where going into the wall is either difficult or impossible.  But, for common wallboard construction,  given what is involved in making that Flatwire cosmetically acceptable - skim coating and painting - I don't see how it is any easier or better than going into the wall and pulling cable the usual way.

Maybe not for mains electricity, but certainly for low voltage/amperage/wattage.

It depeonds on the wattage the cable is rated for, you don't use a 50watt wire if you're trying to drive speakers that need 300 watts.

If the gauge of your speaker wire matches the gauge of your powersupply's wire then you should be fine. According to another forum, most people are saying 18 gauge is a good gauge to use.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Ground the ground is missing. Another problem is the dielectric material at higher voltages. 

If your walls are solid because it's a basement or apocalypse bunker, FlatWire might be the only solution.

Personally, I wouldn't trust that stuff from a safety standpoint because if it ever did get overloaded and too hot... well... it's not exactly insulated.

The video is a poor example, as if you've got an existing outlet below the TV mount, it'd just be easier to drill holes and either move the existing outlet, or run another outlet. (assuming there's no horizontal studs in the way and everything is up to code.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Do take into consideration that doing your own electrical work without it being signed off by a qualified electrician is illegal in most countries and will result in your insurance being irrelevant even if something else is found at fault in the event of a house fire or similar.